Toad lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toad lunch

Cooked up the toad fish from yesterday for lunch today blackened style. It was pretty good! The texture of it was sort of soft, kind of reminded me of catfish. Toad = catfish of the sea. Unfortunately, I only got a before and after pic, lol.

Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Nice. Lol

Mobile

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

You're right, they really do taste pretty good. They are pretty soft-fleshed, though. I guess you don't need much in the way of muscle when all you do is hide under rocks. If you decide that they are a delicacy and want to catch them, I bet they will stop biting.

Comment

BTW, are those the cheeks at the top of the first photo?

Comment

The problem is most of them are too small to bother with cleaning. Under 12" probably not worth it...
          And yes I cut the cheeks out too.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Doesn't look as much like a turd with teeth when you get the skin off.

Comment

As a kid I remember everyone tossing them on shore to die as an invasive species. Never knew they were any good to eat.
              Mike

Comment

I'm pretty sure they're native to the bay
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

The very well may be. I remember seeing them a lot 25 years ago. Can't remember the last time I saw one since then.
                  Mike

Comment

When I posted my first and only toad meal over a year ago, seemed like half the posters had negative comments (wouldn't dare try eating one..lol..). The small ones are tasty too, but the fine bones make it harder to eat. I didn't try them blackened. I had mine flour-coated and fried so I could taste the fish without the strong spices. I forgot to cut out the cheeks. Do they taste better than the body?
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

the cheeks were pretty similar to the rest, but even softer texure
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I can say that I will plan to keep them in the future with a personal minimum size of 12"
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I wouldn't really target them, but if I catch a big one and had a tooth for toad, I'd probably take it home. Preparing them simply involves cutting the head off and pulling the skin off the body with pliers. It didn't seem like you could fillet the thing, so I just had the body fried whole. Now I have a curiosity to trying them blackened.
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

WE catch very large TF in Dbay while targeting Tog. Never thought to try them although some do eat them and I understand there is a market for them abroad. They may hold the secret to curing Cancer. Never know.
                            Deadwood (Dave)
                            West River & Miles River
                            2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
                            If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Was out on the outer wall this year and regrettably was slaying toads instead of togs. There were two very nice asian gentlemen anchored in a tin boat filling up the whole hull with them and asked if they could have mine. I gladly tossed them probably about a dozen while I was in their vicinity and thought about keeping a few for myself but already had a couple keeper tog and flounder so I let them go. Never seen more toads in my life than at the outer wall that week in July.
                              Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                              X