Concrete Ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete Ships

Any one interested in fishing the ships at kiptopeke for the big fish with eels when the fish show up there. Have done this for the last two years at night, have not had any luck down there yet, but it's great being out there at night. Always lots of kayaks out there. Looking to go for Sat and Sun trip. Plenty of cheap hotels close to the park.

Some of us will be there Sunday, but not targeting stripes, may still be a tad early for those, but who knows?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

The ships have been a miss for the most part the last couple of years. The big girls only showed up for one night all last year (rumor has it, it was not the two nights I was there). The channel, Plantation, and Latimar have offered a much higher probability of success. Still a little early, but these cold nights will soon change that.

Comment

Just got curious, after I posted and checked for Dr. Julie's report. Good news!! They are here early! Reports of 50" er's. Time to drown some eels

Comment

I've been looking to go, but likely won't be able until after thanksgiving. Anyone hesitant of going out in the cold solo, PM me
          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Good luck .......... I'm down here right now and just finished a charter ........... Tried all the islands and all the Capt's hot spots ......... Not 1 bite and no fish showing on the depth finder .......... Jigging ..... Eeling ..... Trolling ..... GOOD LUCK
            !!!

Comment

Chris' bait and tackle just posted several nice fish this morning, looks like a few guys got on them. It is just the start, things should get better over the next weeks.

Comment

Just curious what size rod/reel would you guys use to fish the eel's with? Wondering if I have the right gear if I were to go down.

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                  Just curious what size rod/reel would you guys use to fish the eel's with? Wondering if I have the right gear if I were to go down.
                  You will get a very diverse response to this, I am sure. I like to use spinners from the 4500 to 8000 size coupled with a med. heavy rod. Yes, you can land a big striper using smaller equipment if you are a good angler, but it is much harder on the fish if you are planning on releasing it. Also, you may be dragging or jigging several oz. of lead to keep the eel were you want it to be. My choice for line is 40 braid with 60 fluoro.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                    You will get a very diverse response to this, I am sure. I like to use spinners from the 4500 to 8000 size coupled with a med. heavy rod. Yes, you can land a big striper using smaller equipment if you are a good angler, but it is much harder on the fish if you are planning on releasing it. Also, you may be dragging or jigging several oz. of lead to keep the eel were you want it to be. My choice for line is 40 braid with 60 fluoro.
                    Thanks Hemingway I was just curious as to the range of stuff. I "should" be ok then if I can make it down there.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind, you may only want to take 1 rod on the yak with you. Any rods standing up not in use will rub against the ships.
                      Jim

Hobie Outback
                      TKAA member
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
                        One thing to keep in mind, you may only want to take 1 rod on the yak with you. Any rods standing up not in use will rub against the ships.
                        Isn't that the truth!! I had one rod get severely sanded while fishing the ships. It's like fingernails on a blackboard every time it rubbed.

Comment

Got a few tog and the grand daddy toad
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Awesome, I need to get back down there.
                            Jim

Hobie Outback
                            TKAA member
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Those were the only ones I caught though
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X