Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searching for Specks in MD. I will find them someday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Specks in MD. I will find them someday.

I forgot to report because I was going to post when I catch specks. Well, the last time I fished the water on the video was Oct 11. This is a late report.

I have been searching for new waters holding specks (spackled sea trout) for a while in VA and MD.
    Since there wasn't any usable info available, I have been doing it by driving to the possible locations and find the kayak launch sites.

I believed that I had caught few specks here (the water on the video) 10-15 years ago when I had a boat. So I drove to the area one day this summer when the weather was too bad for CHSP and CBBT. I asked people at marinas for possible parking and kayak launch sites. And luckily I found three places for kayak launch. I fished five times so far this year. According to the boaters I talked with there were specks. They said they were catching very few this year.

I caught a bunch of small stripers and bluefish. I thought I hooked one speck. But it got away. I trolled 15-20 miles per trip along the shore lines for specks. I wasn't fish for stripers, but I brought home two stripers @18-19 inches every time I fished.

It seems No kayakers fishing the water. I have not seen any kayakers. Perhaps catching a quality fish wasn't possible.

Any way, has anyone fished the water on the video? Have you caught specks here?

Thank you.
    Joe

Fishing Log:
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-21-2014, 12:04 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

What an excellent video and trip. I need to spend some time fishing that direction. Eventually I'll be getting a pedal powered kayak once the kids are out of college.

Comment

Nice vid, I only tried in that area once for Specks this year, without luck, but have had luck in the past... From what i've heard, no one has caught many this year blaming it on the really cold winter that we had last year. If this winter turns out to be as predicted, it will be a tough year for MD Specks in 2015 as well...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Speck fishing was down in general this year everywhere compared to the last 2 years, so I wouldn't write off that area based on your results this year.

Yes, specs can be caught in that area. There are many reports and blog links on here for that general area if you know how to read between the lines, but most originate from the other side.
        Brian

Comment

12 October is the last spec I caught, or anyone that I fished with to my knowledge. It was in the same general area of your video. The blues and specs apparently disappeared shortly after.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I had a down year for both reds and specks although I did manage to catch keepers of both...I love speckled trout Almondine....I don't advertise it much of the forum- usually just PM a few buddies......with my house being remodeled this year from May until August the 4th I lost a summer, but fall and winter fishing are pretty good, so no big deal...Stripers and big blue catfish are the fish to target right now- the biggest catfish of the year are available- nasty things but they do give you some pullage...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Joe I have not fished the eastern side but had experienced a run of weak fish and specs on 2-3 outings at the mouth of smith creek in St indigoes md Late this summer. Also pulled small specs and drum out of tanners creek and the back bay at point Lookout State park. None were keepers. In each instance they were mixed in with schools of bait. Lets hope they survive this cold winter ahead and hopefully the numbers will improve. I know that your Thread is about catching in Md, but I went to Va. Nov.11-13 and the specks were stacked on top of each other we were catching them 1 every 4 cast. If you pm me if you are interested I will send you the Info. You are familiar with this area.

Comment

Ditto to what Cowpokey and Slobber Bob said. This year was definitely less than last year
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

The areas your fishing I've caught plenty of speckled trout in past, this year has been very hard to find them. Caught only four this year just randomly casting along the shore near Lower Hoopers Island, but nothing trolling.

Comment

We were catching some small specks on the Western shore in St. Mary's, but I never found them in quantity. No keepers in the dozen or so I caught during the year.
                    Mike
                    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                    X