Downgraded the Pro Angler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downgraded the Pro Angler

So I had the PA12 for about 6 months, it was a great boat that was a trolling machine, long story short, I bought a house, started projects, and the kayak sat for awhile. Sold it to a fellow snaggedline member and before I could even make it home I knew there was no way I could not have a kayak for when the mood strikes again. So basically I drove straight to Delaware paddle sports and picked up a 2014 Jackson Cuda 12 in the urban camo for $1104 out of the door, it was between that and the predator 13. They were both on sale for the same price but the Cuda just came with a better setup. The itch to try it out is driving me crazy but my winter wear is lacking to say the least. Back to the paddling side!, but then again I caught more trolling when paddling then peddling.

How does anyone go from peddling to padding? Does not compute....
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Let us know how the Cuda works out it's a nice looking yak with some great features.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        How does anyone go from peddling to padding? Does not compute....
        I've got 4 different kayaks. Only 1 is a Hobie. I tend to use the Hobie for fishing Long Island Sound and other salt water. For distance, rough water, or launching out front, I use the Kaskazi Dorado II. All freshwater is done with one of the other paddle kayaks. I love to paddle, but the pedal has some distinct advantages for certain types of fishing. For holding in current, the Hobie is hard to beat.

Comment

Ive been kicking the tires of getting rid of my pro angler for a while.

its to heavy and i just dont use all the space it comes with. i dont bring much with me.

I keep looking at the cuda, and big rig and slayer propel.

The lure really interests me to

all the big time kayak bass fishermen all paddle... even on big lakes in texas and tennesse... and i know these guys have money for a hobie, but all choose to paddle.. theres more to the story that people arent explaining
          Zach Moore
          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

All the reasons mentioned above helped me make my decision. Peddling without a doubt has its advantages in big water and holding in current as stated, however I fished a few bass tournaments out of the Hobie and it just felt like overkill. I am with BassMoore, I rarely bring a ton of gear because I tend to use the same lures. I will report back once I get the Cuda on the water. Seems like a good trolling platform from the factory. I went with the 12' over the 14' for an all around boat. I am sure it will not dissapoint.

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
              all the big time kayak bass fishermen all paddle... even on big lakes in texas and tennesse... and i know these guys have money for a hobie, but all choose to paddle.. theres more to the story that people arent explaining
              I have noticed the same thing for largemouth/smallmouth kayak fisherman. Foot power definitely has advantages in many situations (like holding position against tidal currents on the bay). A lot of the places I bass fish have an abundance of shallow cover items that might foul fins or props. The rivers I fish are usually are too boney and rocky for anything more than a few inches of clearance. One of the best kayak bass tournament guys I know is down in Texas and he frequently uses the speed of his Tarpon 160 to maximize the time on his spots. He does his prefishing in his Ride 135 but come tournament day out comes the 160. Dude walks away with an obscene amount of cash each season.
              Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Yeah i follow a few guys in Tennesse who fish the circuits down there, and was selected to worlds, they are minimalist as well and fish out of commanders.

Its hard to give up the pedals bc i fish so far and fast, but once the wind gets me going to wards the bank.. there's no stopping.. more noise to back up reaching for a paddle... the fins are noisy in shallow water... alot of negatives for bass fishing..
                Zach Moore
                Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

When the time comes I will have one of each, but for now I paddle. My Cuda 14 tracks really well when I get into my power paddle mode, on flat water I can roll at 5mph+, not so much in head winds though.
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by dtandrade View Post
                    Back to the paddling side!, but then again I caught more trolling when paddling then peddling.
                    You know, I've been wondering about that as well. I'm going to give it another season before I have enough data - this year was total crap. That said, the troll speed on the hobie is very smooth and consistent. With a paddle it is a little more jerky. I've often wondered if that has an effect on the lure action. I guess I could just tug on the lines like the guys on Wicked Tuna...love that show.
                    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I personally think my pa12 is perfect for bass fishing, i love being able to store my rods horizontally in the kayak especially for over hanging trees. But now i have the 8' power sticking out vertically to catch every tree and branch which can be frustrating along with going under low bridges, but the power pole has a quick release to drop the pole down and the pa is stable enough for me to walk to the back of the boat to readjust the angle of the unit. Main thing that frustrates me with the pa is the wide turning radius. And when the wind gets you spinning its hard to counter steer. I have been through my share of paddle kayaks since i started kayak fishing back in 2007. And im pretty dead set on saying my pa12 is the best yak i have ever used. Like anything with a mechanical operation, they will break over time of use, i keep a spare parts and tools kit to replace everything on my mirage drive once. As far as weedy areas i short stroke the pedals so i stay just above the weeds, same with shallow rivers like the potomac in the summer months. The only thing that makes navigation difficult is thick floating vegetation. But thats my 2cents.
                      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

At the end of the day its all preference. The Hobie PA12 was a machine, but I know that they all have advantages in their own ways. The Cuda12 should fit all my needs as much as the Hobie did. In my opinion as long as I am on the water I could care less about the means that I use to move. I think I faired better paddling then peddling.

Comment

I went from a pa 14 to a Cuda 14 and love it!

Comment

I have an Ocean Prowler Angler 13 and a Hobie Outback...rarely use the ocean but I have storage so why sell it? I fish mostly saltwater and troll a lot...and rarely get skunked...I looked at the PAs but they were too heavy and too big for my tastes- figured I would stick to my Outback...well satisfied, no complaints...I haven't spooked fish in the shallows with my turbo fins, but I don't race through shallows peddling hard anyway...caught a lot of redfish and speckled trout trolling in 3 -4 feet of water...and when it comes time to head for home, peddling back to the launch is a whole lot easier and faster for me than paddling...
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Hey zach,

Let me know some time we can get together and i'll let you try my propel 13. I am still getting used to it. I can easily say this kayak has enabled me to catch more fish, whether it was trolling or maintaining position or peddling into the wind and working the bank or using the wind to push me while I maintain distance.

Needless to say I love my propel 13! Can't wait for this next season.
                              Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
                              Tarpon 120
                              Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                              25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
                              http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
                              Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

Working...
                              X