I am tired of eating rancid fish!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am tired of eating rancid fish!!!

I eat fish form the supermarket two to three times a week. I prefer the wild caught fish over the farm raised stuff, because it has noticeably less fat in it. Every now and again I will get some fish that looks fine, but when cooked STINKS up the whole house, like "lets go on vacation for a few weeks" kind of stink. Fish does not smell bad unless it is bad, rotten, almost rotten, whatever. I inspect the fish I buy, it has decent color, I smell it before cooking it and generally it has a fishy smell to it, which means it is not as fresh as it could be, but doesn't seem rotten. I think they add something to the fish to make it seem less rotten than it actually is. Oddly enough.. I have not gotten sick from eating this "Stink Fish".

The supermarket I go to is not a "budget" supermarket, it is not a Wingman's either... it is one of the only ones reasonable near me.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

You need to go fishing more often. My wife loves fish, and she hasn't bought any since I got the Hobie.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Pat,

You're fortunate Thursday is Thanksgiving. You can eat turkey instead of smelly fish. Just make sure you don't thaw the bird too soon before roasting or you may have the same problem.

Cheers,
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I am attempting to lose weight, I have lost 50 pounds so far (since March) and I have another 25 to 35 to go. Fish is (normally) a great lean protein that is tasty (unlike Chicken breast). Perhaps I need to switch to a shark or tuna, or halibut instead of Salmon. Salmon is a fairly greasy fish I think.

I think I have decided to take Thanks Giving off from my diet however... I am already having dreams of mounds of stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey.. and... wait for it.... Pumpkin Pie!!! with ICE CREAM!!!!
        People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

I never make it dessert, bird, stuffing, taters, and gravy on everything fills my belly to the limit.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

You need fresh fish, guaranteed. I'm planning to do a deep drop on 20 Dec, Sat, to get a cooler full of fish. Did it many times. BSB is excellent on the table. Will start a post soon. Want to join us?

For more info, do a search in the Virginia forum on "deep drop."

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ight=deep+drop

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ht=deep%20drop
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Pat,
              I do not buy fish from a grocery store. I do not eat fish that I do not catch. If you want your diet to consist of fish, go to a wholesale market and buy it fresh. Farm raised fish stinks, period. That does not mean it is bad. It just means that it stinks. If you are trying to lose weight, lean cut meat, grain, fresh juice and exercise is the way to go if you want to lose weight and keep it off. I have lost 45 lbs, and 2-1/2 inches off my waist in the past year. At 60 yrs old, I am in the best shape of my life. the last physical I had 5 years ago, I was told that if I kept up my lifestyle I would be dead in 10 years from high cholesterol and borderline diabetic. Just had my 60 yr old physical with all the probing and testing. My doctor asked what I was doing different cause besides my bad knee, I am healthier than any healthy 40 yr old. I was told to come back in 5 years for a check up. So bottom line, 60 is the new 40. A lot more time to yak fish and enjoy life. I only eat fish once per week. I eat healthy, drink fresh juice and exercise daily. You must be committed to yourself, and to your program. Live Long, Live Strong, Enjoy Life!!!!!
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Pat,

Fresh, inexpensive fish can be found in DC at Maine Avenue off the boats. If the trip is long for you, you could make it worth it by purchasing a lot and freezing it. Costco has good, fresh fish too. The fat in fish is excellent for you and your heart, so don't leave those fatty fish out of your diet. To see if fish is fresh, press the flesh with your finger. If the imprint bounces back it is fresh; if not, I would be skeptical of buying it. Also, if the fish has a head, the eyes should be clear and not cloudy. Super markets spray the fish with a chemical to make the stink go away, and then when you get home you naturally wash the fish, thus washing away the chemical and exposing the fish for what it really is - old and smelly.

Saltydog!! Congratulations on your accomplishments regarding your health! Thanks for sharing your story, as it will help others get on the wagon, including me
                Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                Cobra Explorer

Comment

Pat - great job with the weight loss and I agree with you on the so called "freshness" of supermarket fish. I do find the fish to be more expensive but worth the extra few bucks if you go to Whole Foods or Wegman's. But like Cowpokey said I haven't bought any fish in the past few months.

Comment

There is a wholesale fish market somewhere in the vicinity of BPS off of Rt 100. Fresh fish and seaford delivered daily. Even though it is wholesale the public is welcome. Internet search will get you there.
                    Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      You need fresh fish, guaranteed. I'm planning to do a deep drop on 20 Dec, Sat, to get a cooler full of fish. Did it many times. BSB is excellent on the table. Will start a post soon. Want to join us?

For more info, do a search in the Virginia forum on "deep drop."

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ight=deep+drop

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ht=deep%20drop
                      I've been waiting to hear about that since last year! LOL

I totally am going to try to make it.

Pat, from talking to folks who have done it before, this is where it is at!

As far as buying fish, like Dao, I primarily get it from whole foods because of their posted criteria. Whether or not it's really true, I don't know but I image if it's not there are a lot more richer folks than I who are willing to sue! LOL

But like the other guys I've been blessed to not have to buy fish for the last year and a half. I pray that continues
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Congrats on the weight lose and I wish you luck with achieving your final goal!

If anything I guess this is an excuse to get out and fish more?

Pc4sun has some really good advice for choosing fish from the supermarket if it isn't already filleted already. I'd add to check the gills. They should be nice and red. If they're pinkish color then the fish has been there a little while.
                        Brian

Comment

Thanks Peggy, The greatest thing about exercise and a healthy diet is you can still drink BEER
                          Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                          Pat,

Fresh, inexpensive fish can be found in DC at Maine Avenue off the boats. If the trip is long for you, you could make it worth it by purchasing a lot and freezing it. Costco has good, fresh fish too. The fat in fish is excellent for you and your heart, so don't leave those fatty fish out of your diet. To see if fish is fresh, press the flesh with your finger. If the imprint bounces back it is fresh; if not, I would be skeptical of buying it. Also, if the fish has a head, the eyes should be clear and not cloudy. Super markets spray the fish with a chemical to make the stink go away, and then when you get home you naturally wash the fish, thus washing away the chemical and exposing the fish for what it really is - old and smelly.

Saltydog!! Congratulations on your accomplishments regarding your health! Thanks for sharing your story, as it will help others get on the wagon, including me
                          Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                            There is a wholesale fish market somewhere in the vicinity of BPS off of Rt 100. Fresh fish and seaford delivered daily. Even though it is wholesale the public is welcome. Internet search will get you there.
                            I think you are thinking about the Jessup Seafood Market which is just off of Rt 175 east of I95 and Rt1. There are real wholesalers there and 1 regular retail (Franks Seafood). Warning that the wholesaler do an early business and are mostly closed by noon. Also whole fish on ice can be had at Lotte market. they have great produce too.

Comment

That's the place, Jessup Seaford Market, was there years ago but could not remember the name. I remember buying direct from the wholesalers, bring fish home filleting cleaning and freezing.
                              Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                              X