I need some kayak friends fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some kayak friends fast

hey guys, I can't seem to convince any1 I know to come out kayak fishing with me, I offered them to use my wife's yak lol. I want to catch some striper bad! I am hoping this post will get me an invite to tag along with some people who are going out striper fishing soon. I have a perception pescador 12 and yes I paddle not pedal. I just need to go with some experienced anglers and observe. I obviously have no clue how to produce rockfish on my own. If any1 wouldn't mind showing a new guy some tips and help Id appreciate it. PM me we can exchange numbers and become friends, id love to have a group I can talk about yakking with and catch some fish. Please somebody help me

Welcome! I don't kayak fish in the cold so my kayak is "winterized". But start up again in spring. I know a lot of hardcore kayakers on this forum who do. You just need the right gear including, but not limited to, a dry suit. Good luck!

Comment

Hello, and welcome to Snaggedline. Most times people post when they are going out, although with the cold weather upon us we will see less of those posts. If the weather cooperates I will go out a couple more times and will post when I go.
      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
      Cobra Explorer

Comment

I never know for sure until the night before or morning that I am going out, but Monday may be a possibility. Location depends on wind direction for me because I don't like it too rough. Hopefully someone will go out this weekend and report how they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattybofmd View Post
          hey guys, I can't seem to convince any1 I know to come out kayak fishing with me, I offered them to use my wife's yak lol. I want to catch some striper bad! I am hoping this post will get me an invite to tag along with some people who are going out striper fishing soon. I have a perception pescador 12 and yes I paddle not pedal. I just need to go with some experienced anglers and observe. I obviously have no clue how to produce rockfish on my own. If any1 wouldn't mind showing a new guy some tips and help Id appreciate it. PM me we can exchange numbers and become friends, id love to have a group I can talk about yakking with and catch some fish. Please somebody help me
          You have come to the right place. People here are always posting when they are heading out and generally that means all are welcome to join. Great helpful people on this forum. In the warmer months someone goes out almost every day. If you don't have the right gear, SKIP GOING OUT IN THE COLD.. by right gear you need a dry suit and a good baselayer system.... if you don't know what those are, search this forum there are TONS of good posts about it.

If you are going to wait for spring (like myself) pickup the book "Light Tackle Trolling in the Chesapeake" and read that over the winter. I keep my copy in my commode, where I can read it a little each day (is that TMI?)(actually I am kidding, it is on my night stand, but that is not at all funny).
          People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
            You have come to the right place. People here are always posting when they are heading out and generally that means all are welcome to join. Great helpful people on this forum. In the warmer months someone goes out almost every day. If you don't have the right gear, SKIP GOING OUT IN THE COLD.. by right gear you need a dry suit and a good baselayer system.... if you don't know what those are, search this forum there are TONS of good posts about it.

If you are going to wait for spring (like myself) pickup the book "Light Tackle Trolling in the Chesapeake" and read that over the winter. I keep my copy in my commode, where I can read it a little each day (is that TMI?)(actually I am kidding, it is on my night stand, but that is not at all funny).
            I have Allens book, I have waders and a drytop I use belted together over UA wicking layer and fleece top and bottoms. I got that from the book

Comment

The cold water never stops me, i usually go out during the week in the mornings tho. When ever i go ill let you know
              Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
              -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
              -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Don't forget the Monthly Meet and Greets where you can "observe" Anglers catching all kinds of fish, including your targeted rockfish. At the Meet and Greets, you can meet a lot of anglers over time and develop a core group of kayak anglers that you can call upon when trying to buddy up and fish. You can also try to participate in the CBKA Tournament in Sept 2015, which is more of a big get together to have fun and fish. Do not let the word Tournament scare you away from participating. You will meet a lot of kayak anglers who you will eventually build a relationship with.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                  Don't forget the Monthly Meet and Greets where you can "observe" Anglers catching all kinds of fish, including your targeted rockfish. At the Meet and Greets, you can meet a lot of anglers over time and develop a core group of kayak anglers that you can call upon when trying to buddy up and fish. You can also try to participate in the CBKA Tournament in Sept 2015, which is more of a big get together to have fun and fish. Do not let the word Tournament scare you away from participating. You will meet a lot of kayak anglers who you will eventually build a relationship with.
                  Ok, thanks a lot. I get intimidated from the meet and greets because every1 has hobies or some kind of pedal/trolling motor rig and I have paddles. I'm like the newb who can't keep up.

Comment

Mattybofmd,

Kayak fishing is not a race or an endurance run. It's a matter of being where the fish are and using good techniques to catch them. Most of the time the fish are fairly close to the launch site.

Plenty of paddlers out fish those with pedals not because of what they are riding but because of how they are fishing.

There's no need to be intimidated. The fish certainly don't know or care what you are sitting in.

You'll do just fine and the more you do it the better you'll get.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Ain't nothin wrong with paddles. Kayak Kevin, Rob Choi and many others out there are die hard paddlers. Make what you got work for ya
                      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I can keep up with the pedal kayaks for the most part, and I am new to kayak fishing (started in September). They have a little bit more range than I do, and legs are stronger than arms. They can troll a little easier than I can, but I just adjust my technique to drift jigging, or anchor jigging or some other tactic that gives my arms a rest. I go out with anyone who will have me and have a lot of fun. I can do everything a pedal kayak can do except paddle against a hard wind while reeling in line to get it unsnagged from a crab pot.. ask me how I know that. I can say I have not once come across anyone on this site, or on the water that cares one way or the other if I am paddling or pedaling, what brand I am using, or any of that normal crap. Everyone has been real nice and welcoming.
                        People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Working...
                        X