Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when it's too cold to fish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting deer ,duck.geese,cut firewood for next year.when all that's done refresh paint that's need on yak.Never a dull moment here.
    2012 hobie outback
    2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Memory Maker,

Thank you for the eBay tip.

I looked and lead is definitely cheaper there.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I've already poured, painted and tied enough bucktails for 3 flounder seasons and its not even december. I've been able to limit myself so far to only one impulse rod/reel purchase (penn squall 12), have gotten my favorite tog rod rewrapped (old school 7'6" Teramar) and sent 2 broken rods back to St Croix to be repaired. There's one massive project ahead though.... organizing about 30 plano boxes and 4 rubbermaid containers full of tackle, plastics and plugs. I think I'll wait til the first snow storm for that one...
        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Did some one say "to cold to fish"???????????

never.. ever.... to cold to fish
          Zach Moore
          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

You can also sometimes find lead for sale at gun shows, casting bullets is fairly common among reloaders and obviously lead is expensive to ship. I have about 200-300 lbs of lead I scavenged from old stage weights back when I was super into shooting. Never got around to getting a casting setup going, now that I have the fishing bug I might find a use for the lead yet.

Also, what are these "fishing flea markets" I saw mentioned? I do miss poking around gunshows and now an afternoon spent drinking bad coffee and looking at lures and such seems like a fine way to spend time.
            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

They look nice. I pour a bunch of lead every year as well. Typically in the winter months on my front porch. I have a ton of "wheel lead" I've accumulated. I will post a date in a while just bring what u want and I have molds and lead. Bring your own hooks.
              Tom Brown
              Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
              2012 Hobie PA 14'
              Ocean Kayak Tident 13
              2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Eye candy
                20141125_143307.jpg20141125_142453 2.jpg20141125_142511 2.jpg20141125_142529.jpg20141125_142535.jpg

Getting ready for the flea market.

I did a limited production run of 100 of the spinner jigs.
                I'll also have a lot of tied jigs, and a mess of unfinished jig heads for those who want to tie their own.

Comment

Nice!
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                    Eye candy
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]14338[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14334[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14335[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14336[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14337[/ATTACH]

Getting ready for the flea market.

I did a limited production run of 100 of the spinner jigs.
                    I'll also have a lot of tied jigs, and a mess of unfinished jig heads for those who want to tie their own.

All,

So I have a few of these spinners. They were a gift! After the drubbing J. Veil gave me last summer perch fishing (about 10:1 If I remember correctly) I think Bignose felt sorry for me. So, he sent me a few from his private stock of deadly weapons. Anyway, these spinners are perch killers. The colored spinners are something I haven't seen, I can't wait to get my hands on a few of them. I for one will be buying some of these at the flea market. I guess I'll have to get there early I suspect these puppies will go fast - they are deadly.
                    Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

John, Skidsteer, and you are "product testers."
                      Lot's of research and development!

Comment

Those white spinners look AWESOME. I need some of those!

Comment

Bignose sent me a few of the colored spinners right about the time the perch were leaving in the fall. I was not able to give them a thorough testing. They will get a workout next summer.

Stu's earlier spinners with silver and gold blades have been deadly on perch. I picked up an occasional summer pickerel and some small rockfish on his lures too.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Cold weather??? Just keep on fishing......catfish and trout
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Dang! I just shaved off my cold water kayaking beard for our family holiday photo. I guess I'll have to wait a couple weeks to go fishing...
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

My brother bought an old house in Frostburg, MD. Down in the celler rafters were stored several lengths of lead piping used in the olden days to handle the house's waste water. He gave me several lengths for jig making. It turned out to be lead alloy of unknown composition. The jigs turned out to be ~15% lighter than jigs made in the same mold using pure lead. So I had to make adjustments when selecting jigs for fishing so I was able to get down to the right depths. What ever the lead alloy was it had a noticeably lower melting point than pure lead. However, it poured/filled molds very nicely and left no gaps or hollow areas in the resulting jigs.

Moral of this story is buying lead of unknown quality can be a crap-shoot.
                                Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
                                X