No announcement yet.

brand new to kayaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I'll be the heretic and advise against a yak in favor of a shoreline moored aluminum boat. You say, "I'm more interested in the fishing and not so much the traditional kayak aspect" so get a small motorized boat instead (even a trolling motor counts). Lots of guys leave 12'-14' aluminum at the local reservoir and just bring the batteries and trolling motor in the trunk. You have to move the boat twice a year, out in Dec, back in March/April. Sport a friend with a pickup a case of beer for helping you move 2x / yr, and make sure to put him on some nice bass during those glorious days of early June.

I know you guys love your yaks, and that is cool. I did the canoe route instead, both paddle and motorized, solo and tandem. Over the years I owned a Wenonah Solo Plus (royalex), Wenonah Bluegill (kevlar) x2 one for liberty and one upper Potomac/ wssc. Esquif Heron (royalex camo, three seats - sweet!!), Wenonah 17' Encounter Kevlar (a seaworthy - 19" bow - 17' canoe that only weighs 48lbs), Wenonah 14'6 Vagabond (for my learning son, but I used it on RG and Sleepy Creek - too much oilcanning in floor, too small). I am handy with a paddle.

After all that, what do I fish the most ... my 12' tin boat. It is much more efficient to fish, for example, retrieving snags reeling in line while motoring to snag - even in high wind, trolling covering lots water effortlessly, not overheating paddling on during hot weather, more seaworthy (12-deep v), faster launch/retrieve from trailer than car-topping, hands free motoring allows rigging rods running between spots, comfy swivel, padded seat, huge storage, completely dry (deep v), 120lb boat and 100 lb trailer easily maneuvered into garage, cheap too, $750 boat like new Craigslist, $900 brand new trailer including tax,tags, title. I got a 2006 Yammy 2-stroke 8hp of Craigs for $900 a few months ago, that should move it close to 20mph. That is a lot of bang per buck.

Who doesn't love a pre-dawn paddle for some Summer topwater Largemouth? Canoeguy does for sure. but day in, day out, the small motorized boat wins out if catching fish is actually your top priority.
    Last edited by justacanoe; 11-22-2014, 12:01 AM.

Comment

JustaCanoe... the villagers are going to get restless and storm you castle!!
      Don't tell anyone but I have had this conversation with myself. As I get ready to put $600 on a BassYak trolling motor I thought ... I could take that 600, sell my yak for 700 and get a decent John boat. It would be safer for my son, dryer, more convenient in a lot of ways.

But there is something really... sexy... about fishing from a kayak. You are so close to the water, just you and your muscles (and potentially a trolling motor, which is cheating) against the water, wind, and fish. I can't put my finger on it but it is a beautiful thing.
      People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Like Pat Smith, I just got into yak fishing this year. I spent a week in July demoing 4 different make Kayaks. Hobie, Jackson, Ocean, and Native. I really like the Hobie outback, but my bad knee kept me from pedaling. I finally purchased my Cuda 14 used from Delaware Paddle sport and have not looked back. Either you will become HOOKED, or you will not. Do not spend a lot of money until you feel the addiction. If you are like a lot of us, you will become possessed, well obsessed, well you know what I mean. Also if you notice that there are a lot of the gang on this site that have "fleets". So first you need to try out different yaks SOT is the way to go. Know the type of fishing you want to do, go from there. Have I mentioned the word "skunked". That will happen. If you get skunked on a boat, frustration sets in, if the chance you get skunked on a yak, as I have, you cant wait to get back out and do it again. Good luck with your choice and welcome to the site.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Don't overlook the Native Mariner Propel. Good deals on used ones can be had to save as much as $1,000 over a new Slayer Propel.

I went that route and have since rebuilt the propel unit. A complete rebuild is roughly $100 for tools and parts if you do it yourself and it is not difficult.

Also, look for the new E-Z Cruz prop if you buy used - otherwise allow about $120 to upgrade to the new prop - it's worth it.

Also, Delaware Paddle Sports had listed a "like new" Mariner for $1700 which is a good deal for a new Propel drive kayak. This would already have the new prop and need no maintenance on the propel and likely would have a warranty.

Other used kayak sources are Craigslist, eBay, and Native Owner's Group Forum.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Comment

justacanoe,

You make excellent points. In fact, I had a "tin boat" myself. It was a 14 foot Sea Nymph with a trolling motor on a light trailer. It was very functional and certainly much cheaper than a PA or even my Revo. I caught a lot of fish in it in various reservoirs in MD and PA. I even took it to SC and GA.

However it sat in my garage much more than it was ever on the water. If I took it out 10 times a year that was a lot. When I factored in the annual cost of registration, the insurance, and its general non-use, I just couldn't justify it anymore.

My kayaks get much more use and provides me access to water at places locally I could never reach with my Sea Nymph. Plus I have no boat or trailer registration expenses. On those bases alone kayaks are a better alternative for me now.

But you're correct. A tin boat in certain applications is a great fishing platform.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I decided to rebuild/restore a 1974 Aquasport 170 as my alternative to a kayak...not to replace my Outback...a home remodel this spring/summer got in the way of my boat project, but I have finally got all the removal/demolition phase of the rebuild done...weather is too cold for the lamination glasswork for the new sole...have to wait until next spring- figure about a solid month of work to finish...then comes the outfitting/engine installation- not a project for the faint hearted- nor is it cheap- anyway, nothing beats a quality fishing kayak for ease of ownership and spur of the moment fishing trips...and you put lots of high quality meals on the table...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

FYI slayer propel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Native-Water...:SS:SS:US:3160

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
                  I just started fishing from a Kayak as well.. started early fall.
                  I would suggest getting a used paddle kayak first off, use that for a season or so. That will let you explore what you like. I had wanted a Hobie PA initially, decided on a cheaper paddle kayak, now I would not get the PA but would tend towards either the Outback or Propel.. if I were to go the pedal route.. I am pretty happy with the paddle kayak though and doubt I would go with a pedal anytime soon. I might toss a trolling motor on my kayak but I actually like paddling.
                  That is just my 2 cents.
                  Last I looked there is a GREAT kayak for sale in the for-sale section of this forum.
                  Check out valley mill boat shop a bunch of great 2014 models and demos are on sale.
                  Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
                  Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

Working...
                  X