Severn Pickerel 11/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Pickerel 11/15

Welp the pickerel were really hungry before the freeze tomorrow! Shane and I both got citation pickerel this weekend over 24"

http://thehobielife.blogspot.com/201...rel-paper.html

Lures:

Hard Head Custom Baits Weighted Spinner Hook with Bass Assassin 4' paddletail (Slammin Chicken)
    Color: Purple or Silver
    Size: 1/8th or 3/16th oz

Hard Head Custom Baits Stand up Jig w/ spinner and a live minnow
    Color: Red, Silver, purple
    Size: 1/8th oz

www.hardheadcustombaits.com

Most fish were caught in the sunny areas where the water was 1-2 degrees warmer than in the shade. These fish were more aggressive to bite. The fish in the shade tended to follow, but actually bite much less. Most fish were caught just off a ledge or near fallen timber. I haven't used live minnows yet this year, but soon it will be cold enough to break out the minnows.

100_0664.jpg
    100_0668.jpg
    Last edited by CB kayak 02; 11-16-2014, 08:37 PM.

Nice job Matt! Those are some great looking chains!
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Nice

I think I'm out of the running. I've yet to manage to even get out fishing this past month. I was hoping to get at least one trip in this month but it doesn't look like it is going to happen and even if I get out I have a ways to catch up at this point.
      1980 Something Old Town Canoe
      2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
      2015 Coosa HD
      2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
      2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
        Nice

I think I'm out of the running. I've yet to manage to even get out fishing this past month. I was hoping to get at least one trip in this month but it doesn't look like it is going to happen and even if I get out I have a ways to catch up at this point.
        Never know. It only takes 3 fish

Comment

Sweet catch! I hope to get in a few more outings before the water freezes over.
          Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Nice job guys... would regular larger 1/2 or 3/4 oz bass spinnerbaits work for these pickerel out there? I've caught northern pike that size on bigger bass spinnerbaits and was wondering why you guys are throwing 1/8 and 3/16 lures.
            Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
            Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
            Northern Pike: 24 inches
            Crappie: 12 inches
            Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Originally posted by perchy View Post
              Nice job guys... would regular larger 1/2 or 3/4 oz bass spinnerbaits work for these pickerel out there? I've caught northern pike that size on bigger bass spinnerbaits and was wondering why you guys are throwing 1/8 and 3/16 lures.
              I sure they could work, but the reason we throw light baits because we're casting into shallow spots and you need to keep the lure off the bottom out of the algae, mud, and leaves. Also, the technique that works best for me is to retrieve as slow as possible while still keeping action on the lure... i think it would be tough to retrieve very slowly and keep a heavier spinner working with good action and off the bottom... maybe I'm wrong, but I just stick to using what I know and have proved to work.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I've been slow rolling 3/4 oz spinnerbaits in 10-20 ft water, so that makes sense that you'd want lighter lures for shallow conditions like that!
                Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                Northern Pike: 24 inches
                Crappie: 12 inches
                Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

The key to fishing for winter pickerel in shallow tidal spots is to select a lure size/weight that can be moved slowly enough so the fish can react to the lure without having the lure hit the bottom. A heavy lure would need to be pulled fast through the water to avoid getting gunked up with slime and algae. As the water continues to cool, and the cold-blooded pickerel's reactions slow down, a slower retrieve is desirable. I often carry separate rods rigged with two different weight jigheads -- lighter for 6" to 3' depth and heavier for 2-6' depth.

I have no experience fishing for pickerel in deeper freshwater habitats. You may be able to use completely different tactics there.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                  X