Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eastern Shore (Honga River) 15 Nov 2014 report.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Shore (Honga River) 15 Nov 2014 report.

Went to the ES with MOC, Goody and Rock Chaser today. We left later than normal, because the wind and tide predictions favored late morning through afternoon being the best.

Leaving home at 7:30am, cool 26ºF:

We met up at WaWa off Route 50 in Annapolis at 8:30 and headed for the launch.

Keep up, or know where you're going:

We stopped half an hour before the final destination for last minute bathroom and snack/drinks. Got the kayaks in the water and launched right at 11am.

We had to go searching, since the weather changed so drastically this week. So a few different approaches were used. Goody and MOC decided to try the shallows, and RockChaser and I went to the channel.

It was a pretty slow start, I didn't catch my first fish until I had been on the water for 15 minutes. Caught the second fish of the day a short while later, then RockChaser got the next two fish. With those results the hunt was on in the channel. Goody ended up "lucking" on to the school of keepers a little while later and caught 10 keepers in a row before calling us on the radio to tell us what was going on. I could see he had some action going on, but sharing that sooner would have benefitted the team better.

Bundled up for the 35-42ºF air and 40-48ºF water surface temps.

RockChaser:

Goody:

Sorry MOC, I didn't get a close up of you today.

Tolling back to the launch after lots of catching.

We caught and released over 20 legal fish, and lots of shorts throughout the group. All fish were caught over deeper water, holding between 10-25 feet for the most part according to my FF. We got over schools of fish where the FF was lit up like a Christmas Tree, quit tolling, cast jigs into where we marked fish, let the jig sink down and got hooked up almost every cast. We caught lots of fish trolling too, but with the drop in temperatures we had to go slower to match what the more lethargic fish were interested in. All of the fish I caught trolling today were caught between .5-1.5 knots. I quit counting at 20 fish, because the action picked up more than keeping track mattered to me...I would Guess I caught 35-40 fish all 16-19". Goody was the star of the fleet again today with the number of fish overall and the number of keeper size.

Always interesting checking out stomach contents to learn what the fish are eating. Here are a couple, can anyone identify this? Is that a baby striper, or another species that happens to have a silver color with black stripes? It's about 6" long. There were also lots of shrimp in one's belly, and something I have no idea what that thing is on the cutting board between the fish and knife?

Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Nice, can't really tell what's on the cutting board but the striped fish in the belly is a striped killifish
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Forgot to add, Thanks to RockChaser for donating a keeper to my cause for the day. My wife will be taking all of the fish I brought home to share fresh Rock Sashimi with the church congregation after services tomorrow.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
        Nice, can't really tell what's on the cutting board but the striped fish in the belly is a striped killifish
        Snaggedline University in action again! Thanks Shady.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Here's a bigger (zoomed in/cropped) picture of the "what is this" from the belly, it's about 1-1.5" long. I've never seen anything like it, but it appears to be a flat fish of some kind...and partially digested. Or maybe something in the skate/ray family?

Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Congrats on a great day of fishing fellas. That place is a beautiful place to fish.

Comment

Great job fellas!! "Fish So Hard" University.
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Some more pics of the day....I ended up with an 18.5 inch and a 19 inch rockfish.
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice fish! The fish in the second picture sure looks bigger than 19 inches, maybe it's the perspective.

Comment

Cowpokey, your posts with pictures are starting to resemble a scene from Dexter! Important stuff though
                    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
                      Nice fish! The fish in the second picture sure looks bigger than 19 inches, maybe it's the perspective.
                      You are partially correct. It was had measuring with all my winter gear on in the choppy water earlier, but when I got home it measured closer to 20 1/8 LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                        Cowpokey, your posts with pictures are starting to resemble a scene from Dexter! Important stuff though
                        Probably could have done a little better job of photoing what they had been eating without the predator carcass showing. My wife actually did the bisection and placement of the fish food...maybe she should be watched, she is knife expert.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                          You are partially correct. It was had measuring with all my winter gear on in the choppy water earlier, but when I got home it measured closer to 20 1/8 LOL.
                          I didn't remeasure anything, but maybe I should have. LOL Pretty sure my fish wouldn't have done much better though.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Nice as always gents!
                            So Goody, did you find most of the fish in the shallows?

Hey Jim, looks like your "black pack" is orange...?
                            -Mustafa
                            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                              Nice as always gents!
                              So Goody, did you find most of the fish in the shallows?

Hey Jim, looks like your "black pack" is orange...?
                              No, he took advantage of Jim and my hard work locating fish holding deeper in the channel, then just got lucky and found a school of keeper size. Blind Squirrel thing, ya know? LOL

He exploits everything I share with the group, and somehow gets better results.

Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X