Tough year for Rockfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough year for Rockfish

This is my second year in Maryland, and second year both kayak fishing and going for Rockfish. I got spoiled live lining out of Sandy Point last year and catching my limit nearly every weekend, with the biggest being a 30 incher. This spring I caught two fish, both 22". Then fished hard through the summer and came up empty. So discouraging that I started targeting White Perch as my primary fish, that was fun and mostly productive. But still, filleting a 9.5 inch Perch just isn't the same as a Rockfish.

Fortunately, this fall things picked up. I've been out four times in the last three weeks and got a Rockfish 3 of the 4 trips. Today I fished out of Ft Armistead, just trolling. My fiancé is 10 years younger and encourages my fishing both for the fish and the exercise. So, at least I'd get a couple hours of exercise paddling. About 30 minutes in my lightest pole bent over and started screaming. Naturally, I assumed I snagged a cable But this time the line fought back, good sign. It took a couple minutes and then I pulled in this nice fat 8 pound almost 28 incher. Somehow my deep diver hooked him on the gill, but I got him in the kayak and I'll take one like this anyway I can get them, even if I have just paddle around the bay long enough to accidently snag a fish.

BTW, I was out in the center channel just north of the bridge. I fish for another hour and got nothing. Only two power boats trolling out there with me.

Rockfish 15 November 2014.jpg

good job bro!! that is a nice striper @28" how was the wind out there today? i think sunday the wind is supposed to pick up. nice fish for ya today!!

Comment

Originally posted by YaknBass View Post
      good job bro!! that is a nice striper @28" how was the wind out there today? i think sunday the wind is supposed to pick up. nice fish for ya today!!

Thanks, the wind was fine. No serious chop, but still cold and a slight hinderance when paddling into it. Btw, the 8lbs estimate is from a spring scale, I bet it's really 10-12. Great steaks from him already.

Comment

I doubt it was an accidental snag, if that was the case you should have released it. I bet the fish just got hooked weird when it went for your lure or re-hooked during the fight. Good fish, congrats!
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

That's a sweet catch! Very nice. Enjoy the fruits of the labor. I got skunked today on the South River.

Comment

Nice way to end (if it is in fact the end) of your season. Congrats on a nice fish.
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

That sure is a fatty. The title of this thread sums up my striper fishing so far. Only been fishing from a kayak for a few years and have fished freshwater for 99% of it. Now that I'm getting into Rockfish I'm fighting an uphill learning curve. I think I went too far South a few weeks ago and just recently traveled North near the Bay Bridge. From both of my skunks I guess I'm just missing them.
              -Jon
              Revo 13

Comment

the learning curve can take time. if you fish mostly by your self as i do, the curve can be more uphill. if you have the chance to fish with others the curve can be taken more quickly. the variables that come into play... the info that is shared... the sucess the failures... the time of year... the patterns... ect. the info shared in the forum helps a great deal but the experience comes on the water. fishing alone you have your results...fishing with others you have the results of the group to learn from. i know what i'm saying is no great revelation to anyone. keep at it and your success with grow each season. the one thing i learned this year i am not going to bust my azz in the summer months to hook rockfish i'll concentrate my efforts spring and fall seems the rate of success triples!! time spent vs fish caught. i think that is the lesson i learned this season. kinda new to the rockfishing myself

Comment

Originally posted by YaknBass View Post
                  the learning curve can take time. if you fish mostly by your self as i do, the curve can be more uphill. if you have the chance to fish with others the curve can be taken more quickly. the variables that come into play... the info that is shared... the sucess the failures... the time of year... the patterns... ect.
                  Thanks for the words of encouragement. I've been fortunate enough to get out on some really nice days and not suffer through battling the elements just to strike out. With learning a new tactic or species to target it seems as though you always have to put in time to satisfy the fishing gods. I just chalk it up to that. The catches will eventually come.
                  -Jon
                  Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                  X