Tautog info - for nerds like me :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tautog info - for nerds like me :)

I know some people on the forum target Tog when they are in season and they can be found in all three states, so I figured I'd post this in the main forum as a general discussion.

Being a nerd at heart, I was doing some research on Tog feeding behavior, because I've heard conflicting information on whether they feed by sight or scent. Turns out they are primarily sight feeders which is why they shut down at night. I also found interesting information on the effect of temperature on feeding. I figured there may be other nerds at heart like me who find this stuff interesting, so I decided to share

I found the information in a NOAA publication from 1999. Here is the link: http://nefsc.noaa.gov/publications/tm/tm118/tm118.pdf

Taken from the report's page #11:

FEEDING BEHAVIOR
    Tautog feed throughout the daytime. Beginning soon after sunrise, tautog were reported to leave their shelters to forage for food, which involved scan-and-pick feeding. This activity sometimes took the adults up to 500 m from their homesites. Bigelow and Schroeder (1953) observed that tautog followed the flood tide up above low water levels, around ledges, to prey on mussels in the intertidal zone, and returned to deeper water during the ebb tide. Feeding continued to evening twilight. Olla et al. (1974) reported that tautog required about 8 hr to process and evacuate food.

FACTORS AFFECTING FEEDING
    Tautog find prey visually and were reported not to feed at night (Olla et al. 1974; Deacutis 1982). Neither do they actively feed in northern waters during the coldest part of the year (Cooper 1966; Curran 1992). In Narragansett Bay, Cooper (1966) observed that of 15 tautog, 13 had shrunken and emptied digestive tracts in winter. The other two fish had remains of Atlantic rock crabs in their stomachs. Curran (1992) found all feeding stopped in the closely related cunner (and probably tautog) when water temperatures reached the low levels that induce torpor and hibernation. Cunner, at least, survived up to 6 mo without food, using glycogen, lipids, and proteins stored in their livers (Curran 1992); tautog may do likewise.

In laboratory experiments, a decrease in feeding was observed with an increase in water temperature above certain levels. Tautog which had been acclimated to temperatures of 19°C and 21°C, respectively, decreased their ingestion of food, when water temperatures were increased to 28.7-33.0°C over a certain amount of days.

Deacutis (1982) found tautog did not have an acute sense of smell for detecting prey, compared to red hake (Urophycis chuss), and were hesitant to explore open bottom to find food they could not see.

--------

There is much more information in the report, but I just wanted to post a few of items to wet the palate
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

I've tied about 20 rigs this week. I can't wait to feel some tog chewage!
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Great information, I always find that kind of scientific information invaluable when targeting a particular species (dispels the myths and it gives you something to hold onto mentally during a tough fishing outing).

Curious as I have never fished for Tog and many members on this board apparently do. What is the allure of fishing for Tog?
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
        Great information, I always find that kind of scientific information invaluable when targeting a particular species (dispels the myths and it gives you something to hold onto mentally during a tough fishing outing).

Curious as I have never fished for Tog and many members on this board apparently do. What is the allure of fishing for Tog?
        ^ This is something I've been wondering also. ^
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

They're hard to catch, fight extremely hard for their size and they're delicious. That about sums it up for me

My YouTube Channel

Comment

For me it's 2 things:
            1) The challenge of catching one. As I am sure that you have read a Tog's bite is different than any other fish that I target. So there's a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it... oh boy!!! Most people think of bottom fishing as just dropping a bait down and wait for a fish to hook itself... do this with tog and you'll have a day full of clean hooks. LOL

2) The fight... Tog are great fighters. Even the smaller ones, couple that with their love for areas that are full of sharp edges, snags, and holes you gotta get em out quick!

I think they are also very popular, other than their great taste, because it gives another species that can be caught in colder weather when others aren't so prevalent. So that's a plus as well. Just wait til you feel the frustration of missed hook sets and the great accomplishment of pulling your first one up... You won't be asking that question any more! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
              They're hard to catch, fight extremely hard for their size and they're delicious. That about sums it up for me
              Yup, me too
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I can definitely attest to them being site feeders. In slightly murky water, you can soak bait without a bite for a while then move the bait a foot to one side and get slammed. And then if you don't put it back in that exact spot you won't get bit again.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I haven't really been able to get dialed in on a good tog bite in my kayak but did get a few on light tackle from CHSP outer wall this summer. I find fishing a party boat in the winter much more fun, but probably only because fishing from a kayak in the colder months isn't really enjoyable to me. Tog migrate east to west and move to deeper water wrecks/reefs once the inshore water temps hit about 50 or so. Once you anchor you can move around the whole boat feeling for the gnarliest crags and crevasses. When you find a good hole you can pull a couple out real quick. It can be very brutal, physically challenging fishing and leave you really tired and beat up but that, too, is part of the fun.

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I caught my 1st tog ever this past wednesday in OC. It was just shy of the 16" keeper size so it was safely released. A helpful senior citizen lady lent me her pliers since I had left mine in the car to get the hook out. I used green crab for bait. I saw a bunch of others caught too incl several keepers. They have teeth that can break shells, etc so dont let them bite you when removing the hook. Before that, I've lost numerous rigs when they would bite then cut my line in the rocks. My friends say tog tastes great but I havent tried it yet...& it's true that they only bite when the sun is out.

Comment

All the reasons mentioned above are exactly why I go after Tog! I wish they were more accessible, but if they were they would be over fished.

What a great fish!
                      -Mustafa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Thanks for the post and link!Nothing nerdy about knowing the habits of your quarry...I've yet to catch one. You've certainly made it sound like fun to catch one.
                        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

They go here. They go there. Me find. I catch. Take home. Me eat. Yum, yum.
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                            Thanks for the post and link!Nothing nerdy about knowing the habits of your quarry...I've yet to catch one. You've certainly made it sound like fun to catch one.
                            It is John! I never understood it until I felt the first "tap tap" .... man was I hooked!
                            -Mustafa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                              They go here. They go there. Me find. I catch. Take home. Me eat. Yum, yum.
                              LOL!! Nice Efrin... Yum Yum indeed!
                              -Mustafa
                              2016 Hobie Outback
                              2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                              X