Polar Vortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polar Vortex

I'll be going across the Bay Bridge Saturday. I have no idea what this cold front coming through is going to do to the striper, but I'm hoping it doesnt cut the season short. Water temps are still decent so my fingers are crossed. Wind is holding decent a 5-9mph that morning and temps are a high of 43. Anyone else going to be out in this cold??? At least I'll have the chance to try out the new dry top and bottoms that just came in the mail.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
    I'll be going across the Bay Bridge Saturday. I have no idea what this cold front coming through is going to do to the striper, but I'm hoping it doesnt cut the season short. Water temps are still decent so my fingers are crossed. Wind is holding decent a 5-9mph that morning and temps are a high of 43. Anyone else going to be out in this cold??? At least I'll have the chance to try out the new dry top and bottoms that just came in the mail.
    ***** Admin - Please delete the other duplicate thread.
    Last edited by jsnyd86; 11-13-2014, 01:51 PM. Reason: issue with refreshing page
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Comment

I've had my best striper fishing days in bone cold february. The season never ends. But when it gets cold, you need to go to deeper water to find them.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I think Saturday afternoon is shaping up to be real nice. Low 40s and the wind calms down to under 5mph. I'll be staying on the South river though and heading out of Mayo Ridge Marina. Not sure how keen I am yet on going to the Bay bridge in open water with all the boats out there. Maybe next year when I have a bit more experience I'll give it a go.

Comment

Fingers crossed. Plans changed and I'll only be able to be out there for the afternoon, but as it turns out that'll set me up nicely for the outgoing tide until dark.
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

I tried pickerel fishing in two Severn tributaries yesterday afternoon. The grey, damp, and cool weather chilled me quite a bit -- I guess my body has not yet adapted. While I was pedaling from one spot to another, my hands felt warm, but when I was mostly stationary and casting steadily, my hands got pretty cold. If you do fish this weekend make sure you have enough layers to keep you warm.

As far as the fishing went, I caught 7 pickerel -- all were skinny "hammer handles" less than 14" long. I know that there are plenty of larger ones out there, but they did not show themselves yesterday.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Usually a cold snap in the fall puts them on the feed ......... They also tend to school more

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                If you do fish this weekend make sure you have enough layers to keep you warm. .
                That's for sure. I was out last Saturday on my first cold morning match up this Winter. Trying out my new base and mid-layers. I launched into a brisk 43, but it warmed up pretty quick and with only light winds and no cloud in sight it wasn't much of a "test". Hard to beat warm sun rays on the open water. This Saturday though, I think I'll get my test.

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                Usually a cold snap in the fall puts them on the feed ......... They also tend to school more
                And now I can't wait to be out there. I've gotten embarrassed the last few times I've been out. Just seem to time it wrong and cant get a bite.
                -Jon
                Revo 13

Comment

Quick post to a nice Sunday afternoon at the Narrows. I got skunked... again, but my friend Jack caught one keeper. We focused most of our effort around the ripping current near the top of the channel. I was marking a decent amount of bunker and what I believe to be striper, but with water temps just barely hitting 48 we couldn't turn anything on. We suspect the narrows will be slow until after winter.
                  -Jon
                  Revo 13

Comment

I haven't done squat at the narrows, one tiny striper the first trip, two WP the second....
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                      I haven't done squat at the narrows, one tiny striper the first trip, two WP the second....
                      This was my first time. it looks great, but a bit deceptive. We either hit it at the wrong time (small tide) or it's just a little too cold and we just missed them. I also suspect the West side of the bay is drawing more fish than the right. But that's a complete guess. Since you guys just did well further South I could be wrong.
                      -Jon
                      Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                        This was my first time. it looks great, but a bit deceptive. We either hit it at the wrong time (small tide) or it's just a little too cold and we just missed them. I also suspect the West side of the bay is drawing more fish than the right. But that's a complete guess. Since you guys just did well further South I could be wrong.
                        I went in August and September. There were a few party boats fishing there, and they weren't doing much catching either. I tried shallows along the grass line, the rip by the bridge and concrete wall, and out in the channel. Couldn't get anything going. It would take some pretty serious convincing to get me to go back there...I don't see it happening. Third time's a charm? I'll pass.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

There are various ways to fish the Narrows and the shorelines a mile in either direction. When you fish the section of The Narrows from the Chester River to the breakwater, you have to deal with the strong current moving through a confined space. It can be very powerful at times and will wear out paddlers and pedalers alike. It also makes it hard to control trolled lures (I learned this the hard way twice last summer -- I guess I was a slow learner). If you find spots near the Narrows, but out of the worst of the current, you can still find plenty of good habitat. I had great success trolling shallow water in that vicinity from mid-summer to mid-fall. There are miles of habitat similar to where I had success. I plan to try more new shorelines next year. I suspect that those fish have moved to deeper locations now. If you are not into trolling, you can also cast to shorelines or structure.

I have caught fish jigging behind the bridge pilings in the shadow of the current or jigging the eddies that form off the end of the breakwater. These are not guaranteed bites but are often worth a few minutes. I never fished the Narrows at night, but remember reports several years ago of guys who fished the light line after dark and did well.

Don't be afraid to go to a new place and just explore. Try various techniques (trolling, casting, jigging, bottom fishing, live lining) and see if you have any success. Frequently snaggedline members who have some experience in an area will announce they are going to that location the next day or the next weekend. If you can, tag along with someone more experienced and learn from them. I am happy to share techniques and some spots in person that I will not divulge on a public chat board. I think many of our members feel the same way.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I think the narrows is one of the best fisheries in the area. So many different habitats, and different types of fishing to be done. I live on the island, so I may be a little biased.

Comment

I think Kent Narrows is a great place to fish.

Usually I get there from Goodhands Creek but I've also launched at the ramp immediately at the Narrows. The reason I like Goodhands is that it gives me so many productive areas to fish on the way to the Narrows. John ventured to new shorelines near the Narrows this year and found lots of fish. I can't wait to try them myself next year.

The current can indeed be strong near the bridges but I think that also concentrates a flow of bait for the stripers which makes the area a good fishery.

I believe my most prolific striper days have been in the Narrows. Terry, Harry and I once slalomed through the channel markers repeatedly picking up fish on each pass. And then one evening at dusk Terry and I hit stripers on the surface near the bridges. I was catching fish on each cast with a fly rod popper. That was a great session and I hated to leave but I had to because I have no lights on my kayak.

Anyway, the area is a terrific fishing location amenable to various fishing styles. Fortunately the motorboat traffic seems to mostly pass through it, perhaps not knowing that they are leaving behind plenty of fish for us in our plastic boats.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X