CHSP Togs, Nov 11, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP Togs, Nov 11, 2014

Fished for tautog at CHSP (Cape Henlopen State Park) in DE.
    I used whole frozen shrimp (They are sold as fresh shrimp at the most of the grocery stores. I buy usually a 4LB box (50-70 counts).

At the inner wall I caught 3 tautog at 12-15 inches for 2.5 hours first. Other boaters indicated that nothing was going on the Inner Wall. The water wasn't clear at all.

I went to the Outer wall hoping the clear water has moved in. Well, when I got there, the visibility was about 5-6'. So I gave up on spear fishing. It was also slow at the outer wall. I fished the bayside first for 1.5 hours, then moved to the ocean side. I lost about 12 rigs. 3 were by tautogs. I think two were good sized based on the tautogs caught by the two anglers on a boat (on the video). I landed 3 togs at 14, 15.9, and 17 inches.

Fishing Log:
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Thanks for the report. I might go there in a couple weeks, blackfishing for black Friday. Hope they're biting even better then
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Shady,
      The water temp was 54-55F. I think Nov 15 and 22 weekends will be good. But the water may be too cold by the Black Friday. I think I learned that unlike Kipto/CBBT, CHSP togs didn't bite below 52-53F last year.

The water at the Inner Wall was stained. I think that's why the bites weren't good. There were a lot less hung ups on the Ocean side of the Outer Wall.

Joe
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Yes, I'll keep a close watch on the water temps and reports... I remember seeing reports from either last year or the year before, where tog were caught at cape henlopen with temps in upper 40s but then when they crossed to lower 40s the tog bite shot down. Its strange that they bite differently in different locations. I caught Tog at the CBBT late last December...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
          Its strange that they bite differently in different locations.
          It is strange sometimes. Maybe it's the shrimp bait? Did you try anything else, Joe? The tog have been crushing crabs and fleas in OC for a couple weeks now. You have to weed through a lot of shorts at times but there are plenty of keepers coming up all around.
          Brian

Comment

Perhaps it has something to do with baits. Unless you live close to the locations, popular baits haven't been available for me. I had hard time to find baits around 6 AM on weekend. This year, I haven't been able to buy live baits at all. Leaving home at 02:30 AM is still too late to buy live baits. So I always bring shrimp and blue crab from my local stores. Once blue crab is not available (soon), I will be using shrimp because shrimp is always available. I have not tried hermit crab yet. I heard that hermit crab is very good in end of Dec.
            BTW, I am bringing spiked shrimp with garlic powder next Sat for the test. I once tested cooked shrimp. Cooked shrimp worked well that day.

Joe
            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-13-2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Air temp in the 40s. Not bad if the wind is low and the sky is clear. So, I may join you this Sat, Joe. Or maybe I'll try CBBT one more time.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Joe - thanks for the update! At least you had two keepers! I'll be down there in a couple weekends. As far as bait Lewes Harbor Marina has live fleas now (and as always green crabs) and they open at 5 am (on weekends).
                Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

I know what you mean about traveling that far and not wanting to search around for bait in the early am hours when you get there. Probably best to at least bring something with you. I've heard before that the pier at Cape is good for catching calico crabs after dark; might be worth a try sometime.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                    Air temp in the 40s. Not bad if the wind is low and the sky is clear. So, I may join you this Sat, Joe. Or maybe I'll try CBBT one more time.
                    I have no preference. Since I can fish on Sat, I may fish CBBT first then go to other place, such as Rudee, so I can test KastKing braided line.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                      I have no preference. Since I can fish on Sat, I may fish CBBT first then go to other place, such as Rudee, so I can test KastKing braided line.

Joe
                      Wx at CHSP not looking good. Winds at 20 kts. Seas 3 ft. CBBT only slightly better. Will check again tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Tufnik,
                        Call me any time. I will load truck with two sets of tackles, one for CBBT/CHSP the other for Rudee or smaller water.

Joe

Comment

Tufnik,
                          An emergency happened at work. I will be working throughout the weekend.
                          Good Luck!

Joe

Comment

No problem. Wx not looking good anyway. Will try next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                            X