Fishfinders and installed base maps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishfinders and installed base maps.

I am planning to upgrade my basic fishfinder this Fall/Spring to one with GPS and and would like to solicit input.
    I am mostly thinking Lowrance since they seem to have good value/$$.
    My 2013 Outback doesn't have the scupper, so that is not a driver, but is an issue I have to deal with.

My basic thought was either the Elite 4 HDI or Elite 5 HDI. We all know that size matters, but for those that have a small one or a big one, is it living up to your expectation? As best I can tell, those units are functionally identical, except for the screen size. (Joking about size is OK, as long as you add to the conversation.)

The Basemaps also present a decision point. The Elite HDI comes with "regular maps" or "Gold". I surfed the Navionics webapp, and I can't discern any significant difference between the base Navionics+ maps and the "GOLD" package. has anyone done a side by side?

I haven't done a side by side, but the base maps seem pretty good for the Bay. I think the Gold maps might have more navigational markers and such. I have the Elite 4 HDI, and will be keeping that on the 2014 Outback, but when I add a 2015 Outback it will be getting the Elite 5 HDI...unless they come out with something comparable in price but with more features. I don't expect the ones with CHIRP technology will be coming down in price by then.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
    X