Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a friend looking to get into kayak fishing.. advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a friend looking to get into kayak fishing.. advice?

My friend is HUGE... he is 6'8" and close to 360 lbs (mostly muscle). We are talking NFL large here. He wants to get into kayak fishing with me. he is on a very tight budget. I had thought to tell him to pick up a pre-rented Malibu Two XL from Ultimate Water Sports http://www.ultimatewatersports.com/k...d-kayak-sales/ also I think West Marine has a nice fishing kayak for around $500 http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...reen--15055635

Bass Pro has their sit on top that go on sale in the spring, but they only are rated for 350lbs. The Field and stream is a nice kayak but I don't think enough capacity.

Any other ideas?
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

I know a couple of guys that weigh over 3 bills and they both are in Wilderness Systems Ride 135's.

On sale at Hook1 (and I think Snagged Line members get an additional discount here?)
    http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/coll...stems-ride-135
    It is probably worth calling these guys, telling them about the tight budget, I know some other anglers who got an even better deal.

A used Ride 135 can also likely be found this time of year at an even lower price.
    Last edited by Turtle135; 11-11-2014, 07:51 PM.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I think either an "off brand" like the Pimlico prescitor or the west marine brand.. or ... a used name brand is going to be the way to go. Trying to get right at $500.. that ride is a nice rig. I had suggested the OK Tandem simply because they are cheap, plentiful, can house two or one person and can carry the weight. but I think he would like something a bit more "fishy". That Ride is nice and for $799 is a good deal, but I doubt they would come down to $500.

Comment

If he weighs 360, he's going to need something that has at least a 500lb capacity ........ The PA is 600 .......... A used ride might be the best bet. Sometimes you can find them down to $400

Comment

A big guy needs a safe kayak he should call Jim at valley mill boats . They have a big tuna and big rig demos for sale and also some marked down 2014 models. PM me for the phone # Rich
          Valley mill boats kayak fishing team
          Jackson Kayaks
          Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
          Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

I have spoken to Jim, almost purchased a big tuna form him, until I got the Moken for almost half the price. I LOVE the big tuna, but neither of us can afford one... even at half price it would be over his budget of $500.

That is a great shop too, way out in Potomac and tucked in a little gully, real beautiful country out there. Jackson is my favorite kayak company, just out of my price range.

Comment

I vote big tuna if he can paddle it. resale is high on the tuna!
              Cuda 14
              Big tuna

Comment

With it getting colder it's going to be tough for him to try out kayaks, which for his height, I think is imperative. I'm not as concerned with his weight as I am with his height. At 6' 8" I'd imagine he has long legs. So it might take a few demos before he finds one that can accommodate them. I have an Ocean Kayak Big Game. When I bought mine it was during the offseason. I scored it for less than $600. Easy. I'm no lightweight and I could bring the kitchen sink with me and still feel comfortable and stable.

I know he wants to get in on a budget... but it might be hard for him to skimp with his special requirements. I say wait until Spring, go to a demo day that has various brands. And get an idea of what he likes and doesn't like. Then go shop on the used market. Paddle yaks don't hold their value nearly as well as the peddle so I am sure that he will be able to get one in his range once he decides on which one.

Comment

Ride 135 might possibly work for him. But he should probably look at the new predator xl and get a 260 cm paddle. I don't think any of the pedal yaks will work for somebody that tall.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                    I don't think any of the pedal yaks will work for somebody that tall.
                    Pat's friend does not have the budget for a pedal kayak. But if he did, the Slayer Propels would accommodate very long legs. I am 6'4" with long legs. The Slayer Propel seat slides forward and backwards on tracks. Both of my Slayer Propels have another 3'' of room to slide the seat back further beyond my comfortable sitting position.

Given the guy's large weight and high center of gravity, I think a raised seat is not the best choice for him. He will have greater stability if his butt is at or near the waterline.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Now that I think about it more, ride 135 will accommodate him comfortably and fit the budget. But definitely get the low seat. It should actually work very well for somebody that size. Looks like that will be the best bet. I will be selling mine soon, but probably waiting until spring to try and get a better selling price.

I forgot about the sliding seat on the slayer propel...that is definitely a nice feature. The hobies are probably just not going to work for somebody that size, even if he could afford one.

Comment

Working...
                      X