Greenbury Point was Good Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenbury Point was Good Today

Raptor and I launched from Mill Creek this morning and headed toward Greenbury Point at the mouth of the Severn.

We trolled to the point and caught nothing along the way.

We saw no breakers and no birds working during our long pedal to the point nor did we see any such activity when we arrived.

However we started catching fish as we headed up the Severn.

Raptor got 8 stripers and I got 4.

Most were like this or very close:

P1000075.jpg

Raptor caught most of his on a bucktail trailing a Fat Sam paddletail.

I caught three on a bare jig with a Fat Sam and one on a 1/2 oz. Rat-L-Trap. They wouldn't touch my bucktail.

Raptor was kind enough to lend me one of his Scotty Rod Holders with and extension arm.

I attached it to my BlackPak on the Scotty mount I normally use to hold my fly rod.

The rig worked very well and was easily accessible for me. See here:

P1000076.jpg

I was pleased because it showed another use of my BlackPak. I'm sure some Scotty extension arms and more rod holders are in my future.

it was a beautiful day on the water with relatively low winds and a very comfortable temperature.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Caught 41 Rock south of you today, all short.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Nice going Mark and Terry. I'm glad you were able to find some fish at Greenbury after the long pedal over there. I think your trolling will be even more successful if you get your own set of rodholders like you showed.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I shoulda called you guys, I took Monday off. I couldn't launch until noon though. I did the south river for a few hours and did well.
        2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
        Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Eric,

I'm sorry we missed you.

It was a last minute trip that we didn't have time to publicize.

I hope some Snaggedline folks are on the water today. It looks like another excellent opportunity and there may not be many of these days left with the arctic blast heading our way.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Eric,

I hope some Snaggedline folks are on the water today. It looks like another excellent opportunity and there may not be many of these days left with the arctic blast heading our way.
            It was a tougher bite today than Monday. Plus the fog was awesome. Visibility ranged from 3 miles early in the morning to 200 yds just before 10:00.

I was fishing at the mouth of the Severn about a mile out from the shore. Here is a view of the towers at Greenbury Pt at 9:30.

002.jpg

Here is a view of the Bay Bridge from the same location.
            001.jpg

Here is the bridge from half a mile away.
            003.jpg

Here is the bridge from underneath at noon.
            005.jpg
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

My fish finder is on the fritz... Easy to get lost in the fog without a GPS!

Comment

The bridge pics are awesome John. Also looking forward to checking out the slayer 10!

Comment

Cool pictures John. Was there any catching?

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
                  My fish finder is on the fritz... Easy to get lost in the fog without a GPS!
                  I need to find my mechanical compass and throw it in as a backup to the GPS and cell phone.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                    Cool pictures John. Was there any catching?

I need to find my mechanical compass and throw it in as a backup to the GPS and cell phone.
                    I fished today near where I had strong catching success yesterday. I found two 22" and one 18" striper in the same area by jigging metal with a fly teaser. I tried to use my GPS to repeat the same 200-yd drift. But each time I went back to the start of the previous drift, the fish were gone.

Yesterday the clear skies allowed us to watch birds from a distance. Today, the birds were struggling with the fog too and spent most of the time sitting on the water. All fish today were found by running along slowly and waiting to see good marks on the sonar. After an hour of that with 15 mins of jigging, I left to try something else.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

LOL. I saw that fog heading down from the north and east towards Beverly Triton and then we lost visibility about 10 -1030. I don't have GPS on my fishfinder but see the obvious need for it. By the way, I saw BassPro had the Lowrance Elite 5 DSI with GPS and 4 freq transducer for $349. It was not the Chirp which I see just coming out for $599. I am probably going to pick one of those up.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        I fished today near where I had strong catching success yesterday. I found two 22" and one 18" striper in the same area by jigging metal with a fly teaser. I tried to use my GPS to repeat the same 200-yd drift. But each time I went back to the start of the previous drift, the fish were gone.

Yesterday the clear skies allowed us to watch birds from a distance. Today, the birds were struggling with the fog too and spent most of the time sitting on the water. All fish today were found by running along slowly and waiting to see good marks on the sonar. After an hour of that with 15 mins of jigging, I left to try something else.
                        Thanks for the intel John, I'll have to try that area soon.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by HereFishyFishy View Post
                          LOL. I saw that fog heading down from the north and east towards Beverly Triton and then we lost visibility about 10 -1030. I don't have GPS on my fishfinder but see the obvious need for it. By the way, I saw BassPro had the Lowrance Elite 5 DSI with GPS and 4 freq transducer for $349. It was not the Chirp which I see just coming out for $599. I am probably going to pick one of those up.
                          That's a nice unit, I'm going to get the Elite 5 HDI when I pick up the new Outback next spring. I would have got it when I bought the Elite 4 HDI, but the price was much higher then.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

My bad. It was the Elite 5 HDI at basspro for $349.

Comment

Originally posted by HereFishyFishy View Post
                              My bad. It was the Elite 5 HDI at basspro for $349.
                              The DSI was the previous model, it wasn't a dual "traditional sonar" and "down scan", just down scan.

I haven't poked and prodded one of the new units with CHIRP yet, need to do that when I go to BPS next time. The video I watched online was pretty neat.
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X