Putting flies to other uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting flies to other uses

Last summer Eyedaddy (Mike) asked me to speak to his community association about kayak fishing. Mike gave me a set of beautiful hand-tied flies he had made. I am not a fly fisherman and was looking for the right opportunity to use them in some other way. Lately I have done a lot of jigging for stripers and have had the most success using 2-oz metal jigs. I did well with Stingsilvers, but have lost a bunch of them to snags. Last evening I put on two other metal jigs -- one flat and the other made from a painted trolling sinker. On the flat one, I added a feathered single hook. But on the trolling sinker, I used one of Mike's flies attached by a split ring.

On both lines I attached a 12" piece of mono with another of Mike's flies at the junction of my main braided line and my mono leader. This gave me a double lure on each line. During my trip this morning, we found large stripers in 25 ft depth. I jigged up a few then had a really heavy weight that bent my rod over hard. It turned out to be a 24" striper on the metal jig and a 23" striper on the fly. Sadly the fly broke off at boatside. I switched over to the other rod and hooked a 28" striper on the fly attached to the trolling sinker a few minutes later. Mike's flies worked well as fancy hooks on my jigging rigs. Here are a few photos of the rigs.

001.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg

I attach my flies or other teasers in the following way. I tie a 15" to 18" piece of mono or fluoro to the fly or teaser. On the other end of the line I tie a loop. I place the loop on one side of the running line (just above the knot connecting it to the leader), pass the mono behind the running line, then pass the fly through the loop. After pulling it tight, it is securely fastened to the main line but can slide up and down if needed. This method avoids having to tie special dropper loops in the main lines. It is a very effective method to attach a light second lure so it can float up and down. This is the same way I attached a snelled, leadered hook to a metal bottom rig.

Thanks Eyedaddy for providing me with the flies that caught good fish today.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John,

Another good use of a Clouser is to tie it to a 2 or 3 foot mono leader and then tie the leader to the back hook of a top water bait.

It's probably the most versatile fly ever. Works deep and works shallow.

And fortunately it works very well on a fly rod also!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      John,

Another good use of a Clouser is to tie it to a 2 or 3 foot mono leader and then tie the leader to the back hook of a top water bait.

It's probably the most versatile fly ever. Works deep and works shallow.

And fortunately it works very well on a fly rod also!
      +1

Comment

Nice John! I heard about people using a trolling sinker as a jigging spoon but didn't kow how well that would work. I'm surprise you had success with it like that!
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
          Nice John! I heard about people using a trolling sinker as a jigging spoon but didn't kow how well that would work. I'm surprise you had success with it like that!
          Some people flatten trolling sinkers with a vice or hammer them to give the lure a fatter profile and to make them flutter better in the water. With a feathered or bucktailed hook, they are often called "trout bombs". They do catch fish.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Anytime John glad you got some fish with them! If you need more just give me a shout and I'll keep you supplied. if any of the guys on here "Tie Flies" and need "buck tails" just let me know. They will have to be boned out and salted but the price is right, FREE.

Comment

Working...
            X