Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smart phones

Hi Gents es Mesdames,

My iPhone(5) took a hit, ironically from a rain shower rather than while fishing. Has anyone been fishing with the Galaxy 5 (I think new last year) that is reported water resistant? My least fav aspect of the 5 is poor battery life. Nothing worse than loosing connectivity at dusk on the paddle home!

I have been carrying my iPhone in the pocket of my PFD and until the rain even was fine. Any recommendations as to a next phone will be appreciated.
    Im using it for Navionics, photos, and to stay in touch when my float plan changes.

thanks&regards,
    Scott

I have the 5 ...... Don't see any problem with battery life ....... It usually lasts 2 -3 days between charges and even has a battery saving mode if it gets low ........ It's also water proof ....... I like it

Comment

I have a 5S, no problems with battery life, I keep it in my PDF pocket as well, but put it in a waterproof bag just in case.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I passed on the galaxy 5 and went with the g3. Only problem with that is it is hard to find a waterproof case for it. But with the lg they were giving you an extra battery, so that's what i went with. So far the Phone has been great, just keep it in a waterproof pouch in my life vest. But i just use mine for music while on the water. If you a looking to run aps and take pics the galaxy will probably be a better choice.
        Tan-Tarpon 140
        Lime-Pelican Matrix
        Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

I have the s5 and take photos under water with it.

the battery life is amazing.. i go 2 or 3 days with good use on facebook and games without a charge..

the ultimate power savor is your best friend when you arent using the phone, it will last 12 days on a single charge.. ive tried lol
          Zach Moore
          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I still use a flip phone, Samsung Rugby. I know I'm alone on this but I just want my phone to be a phone. It lasts over a week on a charge and is water, dust and vibration resistant. I've been in the water with it 3 times already :-)

I don't worry about cracking a screen, needing an upgrade every 2 years or being too rough on it. I also don't pay the extra money for a data plan. I know I'm probably the only person that thinks this way, but for what I need a phone for, the flip phone works better. Sorry, that didn't answer your question at all :-P

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Scott,
              When I bought my iphone 5 I bought the waterproof case that fits the phone at the same time. It works great!

Comment

What did u pay for that case scott

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                  I still use a flip phone, Samsung Rugby. I know I'm alone on this but I just want my phone to be a phone. It lasts over a week on a charge and is water, dust and vibration resistant. I've been in the water with it 3 times already :-)

I don't worry about cracking a screen, needing an upgrade every 2 years or being too rough on it. I also don't pay the extra money for a data plan. I know I'm probably the only person that thinks this way, but for what I need a phone for, the flip phone works better. Sorry, that didn't answer your question at all :-P
                  No problem with that Alan ......... My girlfriend is the same way ........ I was going to get her a smart phone but she wouldn't have it

Comment

My wife is the same way.

Comment

Holy crap! I have a s4 mini that I got in March (first smart phone) and it barely lasts 10 hours maybe I need an S5...
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

The s5 is nice battery life is alsome don't know about the water proof clames I have yet to stick it in the water but I would recommend getting some sort of case for it the camera lens cracked on mine the first time I dropped it

Comment

I have the Galaxy Note 3 and have a waterproof case for it. I tie it to my life vest.. so if I turtle it is tied to me. Works well so far, tough on batteries, but lasts 8 hours or so.. if I kill all my son's mine craft games and turn off blue tooth and put in battery saver mode I can get quite a long time. I use it over my gopro, because I only get 45 minutes out of my go pro (video time that is).

The Note is a bit cumbersome to use with one hand though.. one of the smaller phones might work better.. but for Navionics it is great.
                          People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

S5 active. Water resistant and shock proof. You can get over a week on one charge in ultra power saving mode...you can still make calls, message, internet...etc while in that mode. Good thing it is waterproof because my drybag did not work 100 percent when I turtled the outback last week.

I can't stand apple products anymore, the only thing from them I would consider getting is the macbook pro but my new laptop is probably as good and got it for less than half what they want for one of those. Trying to convince my bro to switch over to android now that his contract is up, but they give him an ipad and iphone for work so he thinks he still needs an iphone for his personal smartphone.

Comment

Apple makes a good product.. you can't beat an iPad in the tablet market.. others r nice but ipad is just to simple n sweet never fails.. iPhone is alot more secure.. apps never fail.. but they break easy as crap... only reason I'm on andriod .. everything is a good product.. just made with glass and breaks lol...
                              Zach Moore
                              Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                              Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                              Bait Towel Pro Staff
                              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                              YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
                              X