No announcement yet.

smart phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to believe that stuff about iphone being more secure, but I no longer believe that to be true these days. Their stuff is good, but I just don't like it anymore. There are a few features on the ipad that I like better than my galaxy tab, like the ease of printing from it without a special app.

Cool to hear that somebody is still using that rugby. I had one for a while years ago, but I still managed to crack the screen on it and got my first iphone after that happened. The s5 active carries MIL-spec 810G rating. I am tough on my phones and made a mistake not getting one with that rating last time around on the s4.

Comment

The Iphone/Android debate is like the toilet paper debate, do you want to pull from the top or the bottom. There are pros and cons to both. Apple states the 5s is not water proof. I tried the life proof case, while talking those on the other end stated they could not hear me clearly. so I keep mine in an aqua bag in my vest when fishing.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
        The Iphone/Android debate is like the toilet paper debate, do you want to pull from the top or the bottom. There are pros and cons to both. Apple states the 5s is not water proof. I tried the life proof case, while talking those on the other end stated they could not hear me clearly. so I keep mine in an aqua bag in my vest when fishing.
        Anyone that pulls TP from the bottom is in the wrong.

I have an iPhone 5s in a lifeproof case, the one that works with finger print reader and nothing over the glass. It has been on my phone for several months, and gets a bath on occasion, couldn't imagine a phone not being water proof now.

Edit add: iPhone 5/5s Case - nüüd, and I just ordered the float on sale for $19.99.
        Last edited by Cowpokey; 11-12-2014, 09:28 AM.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

This is funny, I just did a 5 page paper for a class I am taking on how much Apple devices suck for a corporate network (I used more professional words). I even had 4 citations to back up my claims.

Apple makes a rock solid product, they just are not good for corporate networks. The reliance on iTunes is a HUGE drawback for a corporation. I had my iTunes account hacked once and lost over $1000 dollars, which eventually got replaced from Paypal... no help from Apple on that. (iTunes was routed through paypal, for extra safety).

On a personal level, Facetime is awesome and no other platform has anything quite as nice. True Skype can be installed on android, but it still is not as native feeling as FaceTime.
          As much as I dislike Apple products.. I purchased an iPad and an iPhone for my wife... I just don't want to do the "IT Guy" thing when I get home from work (where I am an IT guy). Sorry to thread jack.
          People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

One of the last projects I managed was getting new mobile hardware for wing and group leadership (USAF). They really wanted iPads and Macbook Airs, but the security and info assurance offices wouldn't give it the green light due to network protocols.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Since I last had to support mobile devices... They have come a long way. Now on most of the different devices you can use a third party application that creates a partition on the mobile device and the corporate data is stored there. It is completely separate from the device itself(a lot like running a virtual machine on a phone) and accessed via RSA tokens (if desired). If there is a problem that partition gets wiped. The user still keeps their personal data.

Comment

good old D.O.D runs half their work on Ipads now.

Mac has completly taken over a portion of all the work..
                wont be long till it takes over completely..
                Zach Moore
                Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Itunes is one of the main reasons I am now an apple hater. I invested a lot of time converting my music collection into itunes years ago when I got my first ipod and the whole collection got all messed up (I have a very extensive collection). Another thing...if I buy my music, I want it to me Mine. I do not want to have to authorize all my other devices to use it. Prices are also ridiculous. I will never go back to using that garbage now. I either buy my mp3s off Amazon or I just get used cds and convert them myself, which is always much cheaper. I store flawless copies in .flac format and then convert mp3s for my use mobile devices. Which brings me to another reason why I dislike the iphone--can't stick a micro sd card in one of those things.

Comment

I work for a "major government medical agency" and we use good mobile to partition the sensitive data from the horror that is any mobile device. I would love to hear the gist of how the DOD guys are doing it, what products they are using.. I KNOW they are not just letting ipads run loose in the environment.. way to easy to lose control of personal information or Propriety information.

Comment

im not sure how they are doing it so to say... i just have to go in their offices and fix their windows .. but i know they are signed in and out throughout the day.. most is military

i think most is done for briefings or meetings, or sharing files. facetime

its not run on standard apple, its created by the gov to be used for the gov which is why NSA has a tight tie with apple
                      Zach Moore
                      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                      Bait Towel Pro Staff
                      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Got my phone float. On sale direct from Lifeproof for $20.

phone_float.jpg
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X