Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT - Togs Sat/Sun 8-9 Nov 2014

CBBT Sat 11-8-14

ComeOnFish and I were on the water about 0830 hrs. With shrimp, sand fleas, and blue crab, we headed toward the 1st island on what turned out to be a beautiful day of fishing. What a nice day - small surf, light wind, clear blue sky, waves about a foot and not-so-rippin’ currents. Among the best conditions I’ve ever fished there.

My target was flounder, so I jigged my usual white bucktail starting before the 1st SBC. Joe did the same, but soon after, Joe went to the 2nd SBC because he wanted togs. I worked my way from the 1st SBC mainly jigging.

I jigged, and got nothing, so I also did some toggin’. I caught an 18” keeper tog when I was at the 2nd SBC. I caught up with Joe there and he already caught several togs with one keeper.

Hey, I caught the 18” tog on 1-year old frozen blue crab. The crab was kind of soft and falling apart, but I thought I’d give it a try.

My total catch:
    4 toads
    1 black sea bass
    1 keeper tog 18”
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 11-10-2014, 09:38 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

CBBT Sun 11-9-14

After yesterday’s dismal jigging results, I did very little jigging. I was on the water at 0800 hrs on an incoming tide and mainly searched for togs with a dozen live green crabs. I worked up to the 2nd SBC.

I caught my first keeper at 1000 hrs on the bay-side bridge half-way between SBCs. I also caught a couple of toads.

I was planning to call it a day, when at 1400 hrs, I found THE HOLE. I caught six togs there. One tog did a quick move into a hole. I “played” it, but I decided to break off the line after ten minutes of slack-n-pull. Another tog was a very good fighter. It spooled my reel a couple times. I thought it was a small bull red…lol. Surprisingly, it was only a 19.5” tog. It inhaled the bait.

Total catch:
    3 toads
    7 togs (3 keepers @ 17, 17.5 and 19.5”; 3 shorts; 1 break-off)

The day was similar to yesterday, but was partly sunny. It was definitely a very good day for yak fishing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 11-10-2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Nice, I really wish I could make another Tog trip this year, but I dont think I'll be able to...

That first Tog is the lightest color I've ever seen on a tog.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Very nice! That 19 1/2" is a beast! I'm envious...
        Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Nice work.

What does SBC stand for? I've seen you use it before and all I can think of is you're referring to the tunnel islands?
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
            Nice work.

What does SBC stand for? I've seen you use it before and all I can think of is you're referring to the tunnel islands?
            Small boat channel. It's an area maybe 100 ft wide with about 4-5 sets of piling (each set includes 4 pilings). The hanging green and red lights signify it as SBC. The first one is less than a mile from shore. The second one is over a mile from the first. After that, you reach the 1st island, which is three miles from shore. The 1st island is when the tunnel starts down. The second island is when the tunnel comes back up. I think these islands are maybe 1/3 of a mile apart.
            Last edited by tufnik; 11-10-2014, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Efrin,
              I wonder where you were on Sunday.
              Good job catching the keepers on Sunday. It looked on Saturday, it was almost impossible to catch keepers when I talked with boaters.

Well, you become one of my role model nowadays. How do you do it? I got to do something about it. I became a horrible husband on Sunday. I went to bed at midnight after the trip on Saturday, and woke up at 5 AM to rinse/clean up winter tackles/clothing. When I cleaned the tog and made ceviche, my wife gave me the look. I wasn't ready around 9 AM for her event. I couldn't find the pants fits me. I didn't wear suits for the last job interview, so I had no idea where the larger suits are. The next problem was the dress shirt. Even my wife couldn't button the top of the shirt. I found eventually one of my sons shirts in the basement that he wore in high school. We were too late for the reservation for a restaurant.

Of course I missed a **mn exit to Kennedy center when my wife said "make right here". That caused another 15 minutes. We drank champagne during the brunch, so I fell asleep 4 times during the first act. After that I was fine. She knew I was tired. But I am not sure I can go fishing tomorrow, Veteran's day.

I am cooking for dinner now. After a warm meal, she will say yes.

Fishing log for the record:

Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-10-2014, 08:49 PM.
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Your story made me laugh. Reminded me of yin and yang. You had not-so-good things Sat and Sun. Tomorrow (Tues), if you fish, you may get good things

Hey, did you get the nine pics via email?

Comment

Ah, yes. that makes sense. Thanks.
                  Brian

Comment

Fried panko tog.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X