Novemer 2014 M&G report (Triton)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novemer 2014 M&G report (Triton)

What a day! Great time with a bunch of hardcore anglers. It was hovering around 30ºf air with 40ºf water temps at 7am. I counted a dozen kayaks, but might have missed some...I used up my fingers and toes, then used ears, couldn't count higher than 12 on this subject.

It started off with a note on the fridge from my wife ("yobo" is Korean for "spouse"). She made me sandwiches in the middle of the night when she got home from work, love her.

We got to Triton before 7am, apparently the gate was already open at 6:30am, so we were all able to drive down to the launch and rig.

MOC getting set up:

Goody hiding from the cold and putting his phone in the waterproof case:

Half of the fleet ready for launch at 7am. Right about the time I took this picture, Goody said, "Birds, lets go!"

Goody heading in to the birds, at around 7:30am:

To give an idea how many birds we're talking about, they are hard to miss:

My first double produced a 20"er, this was at about 7:35am. The other fish of that double was 18.25", I threw them both back. I had made up my mind that it was going to be easy to get a limit of 22"+...more on that later.

Goody in the birds, shortly all of his rods will be hooked up. I don't know how many times he got "quads" today, but it was a lot. This is the last picture I took for about an hour and a half, it was solid fish on from that point. I was calling out "fish #?" over and over, in reality those calls should have been "double #?". I had about 20 double hook ups today and easily landed over 50 fish...maybe closer to 60. I'll let Goody chime in on his number, it was higher. I was landing lots and lots of fish, many of them in the 18-19" range and thew those all back too. I was sure everyone was going to have a limit by now if they were keeping them. The action was hot and heavy until the boats came. It took the boats about an hour of running over the birds until the fish were push out and the birds left all together. Then all of the boats, almost in unison, departed in all different directions.

The fishing really shut down, so everyone started searching. Goody, myself and a few others when north the mouth of the South River, MOC and the rest of the fleet went south to the mouth of the Rhode River. MOC called out that the birds were at the Rhode, so those of us up north turned around and peddled our tails off to get back south. When we finally got there the wind had all but quit and the water got completely flat.

Redfish jigging blind.

It stayed calm for about an hour, then the wind turned south and it started getting a little bit bumpy, but nothing too bad.

My stringer was still empty at this point, I probably released 20 legal size fish before 11am. I thought for sure I was going home empty handed as the bite was so slow Goody put a parachute (Alabama) rig on. You know it's bad when Goody had already caught over 60 fish and gets desperate enough to pull a parachute. We kept trolling around the area where all the action had been when the birds were working, and it finally happened. One of my rods bent over hard, and I knew I had a fish on worthy of the stringer. It put up a really good fight and when it hit the Hawg Trough it was a FAT 22". Relief, I have a good fish to take home.

That was the last legal fish I caught. The wind kept building, and after Goody and I peddled to the channel marker in the mouth of the Rhode, we turned and started back to the launch, tired and ready for some lunch. All in all another great day of fishing.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Thanks for sharing the great pics. Looks like everyone had a good time. Wish I could hav e made it, but had previous commitment.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks for the report. busy day, lots of fish, nice weather...can't beat that.

Comment

Had an awkward moment on the water while Goody and I were headed south to get back to the bird action MOC called everyone about. Goody had met the time of needing to empty his bladder, so he stopped and I kept going. I got a bit in front of him and one of my rods got a bump, I turn my head to the rod and over the radio I hear, "Caughtcha Lookin; Caughtcha Lookin; Maintain." I didn't recognize the voice, but it sure didn't sound like Goody. I couldn't even see him as I was looking at my rod tip. Fish didn't get hooked up, but Goody finished his business and caught back up with me and we continued south. About 5 minutes later, over the radio, "Caughtcha Lookin; Caughtcha Lookin; Maintain." Apparently those were a couple boat names and one was trying to call the other over the radio. I had to chuckle. LOL
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

WOW!! great report & pic's!! sounds like everyone hooked up multiple times through out the day. stripers look fat & healthy!! had to be a blast (sorry the power boats have little edicate and less stealth you think they would fish the edge and continue to catch fish rather then motor thru the middle of the school and loose the bite) nice pic's thanks CP for the post. as always bro!!

Comment

Great report and looks like a great day of fishing. Glad you didn't stop to take a picture of Goody relieving himself :-). That would be sick.

Comment

Stomach contents, 6" menhaden.

Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

I'm glad you guys had a good time. My experience at Beverly-Triton this morning was less productive. I did not plan to fish, but I drove there about 9:30 to see what was going on and to show off my Slayer Propel 10. I drove to the beach, unloaded the SP 10, and drove back out to the parking area. There were 10 vehicles inside the fence and another 10 outside the fence -- there were no more available spaces. With the numerous "No parking" signs all along the road as far as I could see, I decided to pack up and leave. I drove back to the beach, loaded the SP 10 back in the Honda, and headed home.

The water was flat calm while I was there. I could see a bunch of kayaks scattered across the horizon with a few clustered in one area.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                  Great report and looks like a great day of fishing. Glad you didn't stop to take a picture of Goody relieving himself :-). That would be sick.
                  Now that I think of it, I could have stopped to take a picture of that event and sent it to the fishing brotherhood.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    I'm glad you guys had a good time. My experience at Beverly-Triton this morning was less productive. I did not plan to fish, but I drove there about 9:30 to see what was going on and to show off my Slayer Propel 10. I drove to the beach, unloaded the SP 10, and drove back out to the parking area. There were 10 vehicles inside the fence and another 10 outside the fence -- there were no more available spaces. With the numerous "No parking" signs all along the road as far as I could see, I decided to pack up and leave. I drove back to the beach, loaded the SP 10 back in the Honda, and headed home.

The water was flat calm while I was there. I could see a bunch of kayaks scattered across the horizon with a few clustered in one area.
                    You should have parked behind my Jeep, and came out. The best action was winding down, but we were still catching fish.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

thanks for the report. wish i could have made it but i had was camoing goose blinds which was also fun.
                      Jackson
                      Jackson Cuda 12
                      Field and Stream SOT
                      "It is often beyond our reach to describe to others the effect upon the soul that the fellowship of men upon a river, rod in hand, brings." John Eldredge

Comment

It was a great meet and greet! This was the first meet and greet I've attended and enjoyed it. Everyone seemed to catch fish and did well.
                        The end of the outing showed the winds picking up from the smooth glass morning we had.
                        This was my first outing in my new 2014 outback and was quite funny the first time out getting the rudder to work correctly. After doing about 3 circles I finally realize it needed to be clipped into the bracket. After that it was smooth sailing with trolling for rockfish. Was a great day! Nice meeting everyone!!

Comment

Originally posted by mdfisherman57 View Post
                          This was my first outing in my new 2014 outback and was quite funny the first time out getting the rudder to work correctly. After doing about 3 circles I finally realize it needed to be clipped into the bracket. After that it was smooth sailing with trolling for rockfish. Was a great day! Nice meeting everyone!!
                          I think all of us did that at least once when we first got our Hobies. Heck I still forget to put it down once in a while. LOL
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

That was the calmest I've seen BT this year. The morning was perfect. Caught 3 and lost a bunch during the fight. I pedaled the whole way to Thomas point looking for fish in the chanel. Another awesome meet n greet.
                            PigPen - Mt Airy
                            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Man good to hear everyone had a great day on the water. I need to get some wader or a dry suit.
                              Tan-Tarpon 140
                              Lime-Pelican Matrix
                              Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Working...
                              X