PowerPro VS KastKing (generic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerPro VS KastKing (generic)

As we all know, there are huge price differences between generic and name brand braided fishing lines. Because I didn't want to spoil the fishing trips, I never thought about using generic brands.

I hoped that someone test generic braided lines and let us know if buying generic brands is OK. About a week ago, I thought someone could be me.

I conducted dry (land) tests to compare generic and name brand braided fishing lines. There are huge differences in prices between generic and name brands. But, are there actually significant differences that may discourage average anglers from buying generic brands?

So I invested for 3 rolls of KastKing from Amazon. If KastKing performs well during the dry test, this will benefit many average anglers. Many of us can save a lot of money.

I spent 15 hours to perform cast-ability, knot strength, and abrasion resistance tests. And spent 12 hours to analyze the test results and edit the videos.

I tested 1) Cast-ability, 2) Knot Strength, and 3) Abrasion resistance tests. I did my best to apply the same pressure to the KastKing and PowerPro lines when I performed the Abrasion resistance tests. I did my best to perform testing fairly and consistently.

Results: I can safely state that KastKing is better than or at least equal to PowerPro.

I will post results of the field (fishing) tests later.

Here are my tests and results:

Thanks.
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-07-2014, 05:54 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Thanks for posting this analysis, very informative stuff.

Comment

Nice work Joe. I the only complaint I have about the generic braid off ebay is it seems each batch is a little different. This may be from buying from different sellers and having them mix up the descriptions or it may be a batch thing, not sure. I have had some good experiences with generic braid off ebay before and it is definitely cheaper!
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
        Nice work Joe. I the only complaint I have about the generic braid off ebay is it seems each batch is a little different. This may be from buying from different sellers and having them mix up the descriptions or it may be a batch thing, not sure. I have had some good experiences with generic braid off ebay before and it is definitely cheaper!
        Yup! Inconsistency is the problem with some generic brands. I tend to trust merchants on Amazon over EBay. I am taking 15 and 50 LB lines tomorrow. I am going to see how they do in the water.

KastKing is a little thicker but once they stretched by rubbing against rod tips (I did the rod tip rubbing test) they became the same thickness because PowerPro swells before it becomes frayed. Also found that Braided line stretch more than so call "near zero stretch".

P.S. Nana was glad to see the postcard and the popcorn has been served.

Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Thanks for doing those tests and posting those results. Did you detect any difference between the two braids in terms of finish, appearance, diameter and uniformity?

For instance I have always like Trilene XT Monofilament in 14 and 17 pound test for largemouth bass fishing. It is tough and strong. The reason it is so tough and strong is that both the 14 and 17 pound test lines actually break at over 20 pounds. It outperforms other mono lines of similar pound test in strength tests because it is actually more like 20 pound test (it certainly has a larger diameter than equivalent mono lines).
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
            Thanks for doing those tests and posting those results. Did you detect any difference between the two braids in terms of finish, appearance, diameter and uniformity?

For instance I have always like Trilene XT Monofilament in 14 and 17 pound test for largemouth bass fishing. It is tough and strong. The reason it is so tough and strong is that both the 14 and 17 pound test lines actually break at over 20 pounds. It outperforms other mono lines of similar pound test in strength tests because it is actually more like 20 pound test (it certainly has a larger diameter than equivalent mono lines).
            Excellent! I am so glad that you mentioned.

I did/do test knot strength a lot. Just like you said. The lines with LARGE diameter win in my tests. Also, all lines I tested, when they are bone dry, and I applied the pressure slowly, knot (improved clinch knot) strength exceeded the rates the manufacturers stated. I tested up to 50#test lines.

So many times, strength of knots are misleading because diameters are not quite considered. I also did mislead because I got lazy to explain in more detail.

Even though, line diameter most matters when trolling, jigging in deep water and strong current, we all adjust by adding more weight or adjusting the length of the lines. You can add more weight always but you can always remove the weight.

I tested 50# test yester day when tog fishing CBBT. I had to keept the rod tip to closer to the bridge columns when I used KastKing (50# test). I also used 4 OZ sinkers instead of 3 OZ. With PowerPro I could use 3.5 OZ sinker.

Though Power Pro got cut twice against barnacles. I have 80# test PowerPro. I may try knot between 80# test PowerPro and 50 # test KastKing.

The field testing continues.

Joe
            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-09-2014, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Awesome Joe, think I might try some now.
              '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
              '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
              Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

OBX_RAT,
                If you are using 15-20# test KastKing for casting lures, you will be happy with the product. The KastKing 15# test is a bit thicker, but the 20# test is not (perhaps a little bit). I don't know about 30# test because I did not see one yet. But I assume it will be good. I have used BassPro brand before, and I know BassPro braided aren't good quality. I don't recommend the BassPro braided at all. I used 50# test twice at CBBT and CHSP. The line was strong. But because of the thicker diameter, I think I needed additional weight (0.5 - 1 OZ) for togging in 20-35' of water. Well I will post more after the actual fishing.

Joe

Comment

Thank you for conducting and posting your analysis. It is very helpful.
                  Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                  Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thanks for testing and sharing your results!

I ordered a 1000M (M ... ugh ... 1094 yd) spool of 20lb test KastKing after reading your report so I'll be in "testing" mode also. Saved about $80 and I expect I'll get all the performance I need.

I use braid on spinning reels and tuf-line supercast on casting reels. Supercast doesn't hold up as well as I'd like on spinning reels.

FWIW - It looked to me like the Amazon and eBay seller was the same - "Eposeidon" and it was cheaper on eBay.

Comment

This is a follow up report after 6 months.
                      Since I posted on Nov 7, 2014, I continuously used KastKing 15, 20, and 50# test braided.

I am very pleased with KastKing performance on 15#, 20# and 50# test braided.
                      Since the first post I landed 4 citations, speck, red, blue and tog, on all original Kastking spooled on the first reels.

I am not motivated by any interest groups. I use cheaper brands a lot to prove that certain no-name brand is OK to use because not of all us can afford expensive fishing equipment. I use them (inexpensive brands) and tell what I think and how much they worth.

I can tell this. KastKing, 15#, 20# and 50# test braided lines are good. To me, they are better. All my fishing log videos show KastKing braided since November.
                      I spooled my first cobia reel with KastKing and I caught large bluefish. I will be testing KastKing when fishing for cobia.

I checked carefully any damages on the line, at least 50 feet before the fishing. I analyzed and cut the line when I saw any damages on the line. So far I cut damaged KastKing (8-10') less than damaged PowerPro (10-15') on average. Kastking braided looked good so far.

I will be continuously using KastKing for the longer term product review.
                      Now I am testing KastKing 40# test braided. I am going to compare KastKing 40# test with PowerPro 50# test. This is because KastKing 50# test is thicker than PowerPro 50# test.

Joe

Comment

i am on my second spool of generic brand braided line that i purchased from ebay (eposeidon and kast king) in 20 lb test braid. I am more than pleased with the results and will continue to purchase it
                        Michael
                        2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                        Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

I know you guys are talking about fishing line but has anyone looked at or tested the KastKing kayak rod and reel from "Eposeidon"?
                          I'm thinking about giving it a try since it's so inexpensive.
                          2015 Outback
                          2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by kitkatyaker View Post
                            I know you guys are talking about fishing line but has anyone looked at or tested the KastKing kayak rod and reel from "Eposeidon"?
                            I'm thinking about giving it a try since it's so inexpensive.
                            If you do that, please let us know.
                            At this moment, I shouldn't buy rods any more.

Thank you.
                            Joe

Comment

Will do, Joe. By the way, I absolutely love watching your videos. I am an avid subscriber to your You Tube channel. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Kaye
                              2015 Outback
                              2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X