Hobie Outback Versus Proangler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Outback Versus Proangler

I'm buying a 12 pro-angler shortly as my first sit on top kayak to fish in the Delaware and Chesapeake Bays. I've been fishing in freshwater exclusively with my Native Ultimate 14.5 so I have no experience with salt water kayak fishing or sit on top kayaks. I'm getting the pro-angler due to it's weight capacity, I'm a fat guy and I regularly take 60# of dogs out with me in addition to all my gear.

A fishing friend of mine intends on getting a new kayak as well. He doesn't have the same weight concerns as me so he mainly wants the pedal propulsion. His current boat is a Lure 11.5 and it works fine for our pond trips.

I can't help but notice a majority of guys on this site seem to be fishing out of Hobie outbacks. It's either that or the guys with the pro-anglers are camera shy.

What are the reasons for picking that boat over the pro-angler?
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

To me, it's the weight of PA. Outback is already too heavy for me. I don't think my yorkie can pull the kayak cart.

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

It was a combination of things for me...the price and being able to Jeep-top were my main deterrents.

With the new Hobies having the PA style seat, the Outback is now more of a PA-12-Light.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Why I chose the Outback:

1. < Weight
        2. Easier to paddle in skinny water
        3. Easy for my kids to peddle and maneuver
        4. < Price
        5. All the cool kids have one
        Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

I never even considered a PA. Outback does everything I need it to. I have been seeing a lot of people switching over from PA to Outback and I am willing to bet Hobie jacks up the price on Outbacks by another $300 or so by next year to make up for the lost PA sales.

Comment

I bought the pa12 because of the improved seat over the outback. The vantage seat is excellent and I knew that was a necessity for me. But that comparison does not apply for the new models.

Be sure to test drive all the candidates both before purchasing. You should try the Native Propel models, too. Each boat has distinct handling features that you won't be able to change after the purchase.

Once you pedal each one for 10 minutes the differences will be clear. I think all the pedal yaks are "heavy" have very different rides and you will figure out how to deal with the launch weight regardless of the 10, 20 or 30 lb differences. That said, I am very glad I bought a pedal yak.

Comment

I definitely did consider the slayer propel. I wish I could have that and the outback...maybe if I win the lottery. There outback is a little more versatile for me because of the ability to flutter the fins when fishing shallow areas and not having to deal with grass getting tangled in a prop.

I really wish they made an outback 14. I always thought the outback was a little too short and might be squirrely in certain conditions...I have now found that to be true, primarily with waves chasing you. This is also when you need to drop the seat to the hull. It is really stable most other times, but it all goes away with waves chasing you. I even get a little nervous in that thing with the seat dropped down in certain conditions. My ride 135 feels more stable.

Comment

Working...
              X