winter clothing suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
    I got some neoprene glove at BPS on Sunday, they were $16.99 and have finger cut outs for index and thumb.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...product/73534/
    Good choice on the gloves. I've had the same ones for about 3 years now and they are excellent to fish with in cold weather
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
      I have the same suit, Carter! Ready to try out the relief zipper
      I'm going to have to go for a swim to test it out.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Cowpokey, I have the same suit, except white. I bought these boots: http://www.outdoorplay.com/NRS-Bound...FYcF7Aod6loAKw
        And OutdoorPlay will give you 15% off the boots with free shipping. The way to get it is, when you go to close the browser window a box will open up and ask you not to leave and offer you 15% on your purchase. I thought the boots would be too bulky, but they are not. The combination of the suit and the boots are a perfect match. the boots give enough stability to peddle and protection when launching and coming back in.
        Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
        Cobra Explorer

Comment

I got some neoprene glove at BPS on Sunday, they were $16.99 and have finger cut outs for index and thumb.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...product/73534/
          I had a pair of those from BPS and unfortunately they didn't last one season. They started falling apart at the end of the season. My attempt at trying to fix a few areas with Marine Goop was laughable at best. It looked like someone took them out of a dumpster!

I've been using the Glacier Glove Pro Angler for a number of years. Very form fitting and comfortable. They have gotten really expensive, so I would only buy another pair if I could find them on sale somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
            Cowpokey, I have the same suit, except white. I bought these boots: http://www.outdoorplay.com/NRS-Bound...FYcF7Aod6loAKw
            Peggy, those are good looking boots, but I think I'm going to get regular wader boots. I know they will be over kill on the kayak, but I want to use them with my waders for fly fishing streams too.

Originally posted by JKay View Post
            I had a pair of those from BPS and unfortunately they didn't last one season. They started falling apart at the end of the season. My attempt at trying to fix a few areas with Marine Goop was laughable at best. It looked like someone took them out of a dumpster!

I've been using the Glacier Glove Pro Angler for a number of years. Very form fitting and comfortable. They have gotten really expensive, so I would only buy another pair if I could find them on sale somewhere.
            After I bought the BPS gloves, I saw the Glacier ones on the rack. The Glacier gloves look better, and when it comes time to buy another pair it will be those.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

How many layers do folks wear under their dry suit? I put mine on again to test out with the new wading boots I bought today, fleece pants and a teeshirt and went outside for about 10 minutes and it seemed warm enough. I'll probably wear a poly shirt and fleece top for Saturday along with the fleece pants...I'm concerned with over heating more than being cold, but looking for experienced opinions.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

How many layers do folks wear under their dry suit? I put mine on again to test out with the new wading boots I bought today, fleece pants and a teeshirt and went outside for about 10 minutes and it seemed warm enough. I'll probably wear a poly shirt and fleece top for Saturday along with the fleece pants...I'm concerned with over heating more than being cold, but looking for experienced opinions.
                In the dead of winter

3 layers on the legs: under armour cold gear, under armour sweat pants, fleece
                4 layers on the upper body: under armour cold gear, under armour shirt, under armour shirt, fleece

I will even wear a jacket over the top (with the PFD on the outside) if air temps are in the 20's - 30's and there is wind. Once you start getting cold out there you are done. I figure I can always remove a layer and store it in a drybag if it turns out to be an unseasonable warm day.
                Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking of wearing my fleece jacket over the top of everything for the early colder launch/morning weather. That would be easy to stow when it warms up, or put back on if the wind kicks up.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Cowpokey, if you dont mind my asking, what size is your neck and how well is the fit on that XL? I have been looking at the exact same drysuit but I have a huge neck and very often shirts that fit me fine are way too tight in the neck.
                    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Awesome deal on semi dri top to wear with waders
                      http://www.amazon.com/NRS-Rio-Top-Pa...kpaddle+jacket
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                        Awesome deal on semi dri top to wear with waders
                        Thanks! I am going to buy one now.
                        Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                        Cobra Explorer

Comment

I bought that NRS top a couple of weeks ago, but it's pretty light...ok for layering though I suppose. I ended up getting a stohlquist jacket that was a little morE substantial from Austin Kayak: https://www.austinkayak.com/outlet/p...-Closeout.html
                          I'm keeping the NRS one though because I like it for a little warmer weather.

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                            Cowpokey, if you dont mind my asking, what size is your neck and how well is the fit on that XL? I have been looking at the exact same drysuit but I have a huge neck and very often shirts that fit me fine are way too tight in the neck.
                            I have a 16" neck, I was concerned with getting the XL because the neck would be too big...but the neck fits ok, and can be drawn up with the cord that it in it. You should be fine with a "huge neck" and this one, it's not tight on my neck but seams to not have any gaps.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

I have a 16" neck, I was concerned with getting the XL because the neck would be too big...but the neck fits ok, and can be drawn up with the cord that it in it. You should be fine with a "huge neck" and this one, it's not tight on my neck but seams to not have any gaps.
                              Great, thanks for the info man!
                              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Got a decent test on the dry suit today. Had Polartec "long johns" and shirt as a base layer with fleece pants and jacket as the main layer. That seemed to be the right amount of layers for todays conditions. I did get a little warm peddling the 3 miles back to the launch, but we did speed up from how fast we had been trolling all day, and the temperature was at its high point for the day at around 42ºF.

I wore my Simms neoprene wet wading socks over the fabric dry suit socks for insulation and abrasion resistants. I learned something important, I need better socks to wear inside the dry suit. I wore some Under Armor socks inside the dry suit, and they do not provide enough insulation. When we launched the water surface temp was about 40ºF and air hovering around 35ºF, I walked in to the water to launch and some water got inside the neoprene sock and stayed there, my UA socks weren't thick enough to provide the needed dead air space inside the drysuit and my heels got cold from the water pooling there while I peddled all day. It wasn't bad enough to make me stop and dry the socks/booties, but it my feet were cold.

I wore the Bass Pro neoprene gloves all day, and even with landing lots of fish and putting my hands in the water occasionally, didn't get very much water inside from the finger cut outs on the index fingers and thumbs.

I had a neck gaiter and my only piece of Harley Davidson gear for the day in the form of a beanie.

All in all, this was a near perfect set up for launch and trolling in 35-42ºF air temps with water surface temps that started at 40ºF and ended the day around 48ºF. The relief zipper is worth the price of the suit all by itself.

Edit add: I did not do a full immersion test...baby steps.
                                Hobie fleet:
                                2017 Quest 13
                                2015 Outback
                                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X