Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter clothing suggestions

Hi everyone,

I'm going into my first winter with a kayak. Any suggestions on what should be worn as the weather gets colder? Looking to be safe but not to break the bank.

Thanks

Chris

Search the forum and you will get more info than you can digest in a day on this subject.

Some discussion in the thread below...also in this section of the forum.

another interesting article on the dangers of kayaking in cold water

Here's a video (also in that thread) that covers some options:

Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

thanks cowpokey

Comment

The first rule is no cotton...at all. That means no jeans under waders, no cotton socks, no hoodies, no cotton t-shirts. You get the idea. Unfortunately, cotton loses almost all of it's insulating ability when it gets wet. It also retains water, is heavy, and will not dry out. If you stick with layers of polypro or wool blend, you'll be much better off. Mysterioso makes some of the best stuff I've tried. UnderArmour and other companies make good cold weather gear too.

Comment

If this company had my size in stock at the time I would have bought from them.

http://www.mythicdrysuits.com/collec.../products/enki

I got my drysuit from the bay at such a great deal that I thought it would be for parts or needing repairs. The seller described it as best he could with a return policy...I clicked the Buy it Now. Just $189 with free shipping and it is in perfect condition and fits like a glove - not a tight glove - you don't want that in a dry suit.

Other options are go with the best you can afford and Kokatat is one of the best , IMO.

Comment

Does anyone know of a place in central MD that carries a stock of drysuits on the shelf? I kind of want to go buy one today...although, I do have waders and a dry top for tomorrow.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Give Annapolis Canoe and Kayak a call (next door to Backyard Boats in Annapolis).

(410) 263-2303
              2014 Hobie Pro Angler
              2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Thanks, I'll give them a call...although going there with rush hour traffic is problematic
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

I called them, they do carry dry suits inventory, but don't have one in stock for my beanpole body.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                    but don't have one in stock for my beanpole body.
                    I wish I had that problem. At 5'-10" and 230# my wife calls me burly. I call her kind. roflmao.gif

Comment

Originally posted by JKay View Post
                      I wish I had that problem. At 5'-10" and 230# my wife calls me burly. I call her kind. [ATTACH=CONFIG]14110[/ATTACH]
                      I'm 6' 3" and a buck-seventy-five. My wife calls me things too, but I turn sideways and it goes right by.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

I just ordered a Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler from Kayak Academy, $599 with three day USPS priority shipping.

I would have purchased local, but online was easier to find in stock.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

I ordered a Kokatat drysuit a couple weeks back and found their sizing to fit perfect. The neck gasket was very tight though and I had to stretch it out overnight. Kokatat recommends using a form that is 4 inches larger in diameter than your neck and this worked out well for me.
                          2014 Hobie Pro Angler
                          2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Nice choice on your DS. Very decent pricepoint, too. Most anything with the relief zip is closer to 8 bills.

I got mine at such a negligible cost that I knew going in it would be my backup suit to a Kokatat.

I'm close to a cowpokey clone at 6'2" and 170#. Had to make sure mine would fit -XL- and not wear like ninja suit- always creeping up behind you.

Mine has the "seal glide skin" neck, I think it's called like what yours is. Very comfy! No relief zipper so I may resort to NASA relief on the water until I get a DS with the zip.

Did you go with mango? Pics when you get it, please.

BTW- you'll need a new handle once you start wearing that. Think- a member of the USS Enterprise-Bones-" dammit, Jim, I'm an angler, not a magician!" Or maybe Scotty, Chekov, or Spock.

Comment

Originally posted by JAR View Post
                              I ordered a Kokatat drysuit a couple weeks back and found their sizing to fit perfect. The neck gasket was very tight though and I had to stretch it out overnight. Kokatat recommends using a form that is 4 inches larger in diameter than your neck and this worked out well for me.
                              I have a 16" neck, my concern is with the XL having too loose of a neck gasket, but it is supposed to have a way to tighten it up. I really wanted one with the neoprene neck gasket vs latex, I "think" that gasket is the main difference between "Dry" and "Semi Dry"....correct me if I'm off base.

I went with the Kokatat SuperNova Angler, because reading threads about this subject by folks that yakfish the Pacific Northwest say this one is the most popular by far. Word of mouth (or keyboard) is often the best advertising any company can get.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Nice choice on your DS. Very decent pricepoint, too. Most anything with the relief zip is closer to 8 bills.

I got mine at such a negligible cost that I knew going in it would be my backup suit to a Kokatat.

I'm close to a cowpokey clone at 6'2" and 170#. Had to make sure mine would fit -XL- and not wear like ninja suit- always creeping up behind you.

Mine has the "seal glide skin" neck, I think it's called like what yours is. Very comfy! No relief zipper so I may resort to NASA relief on the water until I get a DS with the zip.

Did you go with mango? Pics when you get it, please.

BTW- you'll need a new handle once you start wearing that. Think- a member of the USS Enterprise-Bones-" dammit, Jim, I'm an angler, not a magician!" Or maybe Scotty, Chekov, or Spock.
                              Relief zipper was a must for me. I hope with a some layers it fits well, being tall and thin is always a challenge buying apparel. Mango and Grey; any added visibility is a plus in my book.
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X