10/27/14 Honga River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/27/14 Honga River

striper6.jpgDawn.jpgStriper1.jpgstriper4.jpgStriper2.jpgStriper3.jpgstriper5.jpg

I've been busy most of summer decided to take day off work with temperatures being around 67 and wind speeds less than 5mph. I Was given two new rod combos for my birthday, Penn Fierce & Penn Battle II great opportunity to test them out as well this trip. Set out early in morning driving from WV decided to head to my favorite fishing area on eastern shore Honga River. Paddled out to one of my honey holes south of Lower Hoopers Island, Literally 2nd cast snagged a 37" Striper. With light line I carefully brought it in after it spun my yak 4 times in a circle, tired itself out. Next 2 hours spent catching stripers around 14" to 27", caught my striper limit pretty quickly. Tide came down so I headed to a cove where I've caught plenty of Red Drum in past, water was around 2 feet in the cove. Seen red drum breaking on mud minnows along shore line, casted a Rapala Rippin' Rap 5 Helsinki Shad, caught several between 17"-20". Lost a big fish in cove as well, couldn't tell if it was a trout or red drum. All in all great day, went home with 20" red drum, 20" & 37 " Striper. Weighed bigger striper at home 19lbs & 37" Striper personal best from kayak.

Water was crystal clear and warmer than air temp, seen plenty of flounders, crabs, jelly fish & old crab pots. Took my first swim of the year as well

Baits:
    Stripers - Rapala Rippin Rap Size 5 & 6 Helsinki Shad & Chrome
    Red Drum - Rapala Rippin Rap Size 5 & Heddon Swim & Image

Also included a picture of what the 37" Striper ate just so you all can see patterns working right now, can't tell if those are baby croakers & not sure what other baitfish is.
    Last edited by AmberjackYakin; 11-04-2014, 11:06 AM.

Wow nice fish! Those smaller baits are killies. Looks like your lure selection matched them pretty well
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
      Wow nice fish! Those smaller baits are killies. Looks like your lure selection matched them pretty well
      Thanks, yea was the perfect match.

Comment

Nice work on the fish and even better job on the lure selection. Did you have to do anything to add depth to the lures?

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
          Nice work on the fish and even better job on the lure selection. Did you have to do anything to add depth to the lures?
          Nope they go down at least 2-4 ft when retrieved, well at least the Rapala Rippin Rap Size 6 Helsinki Shad. Heddon Swim & Image use mostly for breakers, goes down 2-3 ft when retrieved. The Rapala Rippin Raps rattle so loud I can hear them 6 feet from kayak under water, so I'm sure stripers come up from depths to smash it. The highest depth I fished was probably 10-12 FT.

Comment

Nice fish! I was skunked my last 2 times down that way but limited out on the hard ones third time out.

Comment

Well done and thanks for the detailed report!
              2014 Hobie Pro Angler
              2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Very nice! Your report makes me wish I was out on the water right now!

The minnows from the stomach look like one banded killifish, two small mummichugs, and the rest are sheepshead minnows.
                Brian

Comment

Good job man. how did you like the penn battle ll ?

Comment

Nice catches! Looks like a great day on the water!

Comment

Originally posted by El Lobo View Post
                      Good job man. how did you like the penn battle ll ?
                      Penn Battle II combo works great, best on piece rod I've ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by whenican View Post
                        Nice fish! I was skunked my last 2 times down that way but limited out on the hard ones third time out.
                        When's last time you went?

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                          Very nice! Your report makes me wish I was out on the water right now!

The minnows from the stomach look like one banded killifish, two small mummichugs, and the rest are sheepshead minnows.
                          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                            Nice catches! Looks like a great day on the water!
                            Thanks

Comment

Great job. That's a nice hefty striper. I've yet to catch a red down there. Love that area.

Mobile

Outback 2015
                              Maui

Comment

Working...
                              X