another interesting article on the dangers of kayaking in cold water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another interesting article on the dangers of kayaking in cold water

makes me feel better about dealing with the latex neck gasket on my drytop, it may try to choke me when I am putting it on but it would hopefully keep me alive in the event of a turtle this winter

"Cold water shock is a leading cause of death that many people fail to appreciate. One of the authors of "Essentials of Sea Survival", Professor Mike Tipton, is quoted as saying "if you are lucky enough to survive long enough to die of hypothermia, you have done very well; most die in the first minute of immersion".

http://www.paddlingcalifornia.com/ar...alifornia.html
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

No argument with the science on this. What I find frustrating is the prohibitive cost of dry tops and dry suits, particularly the Gore-Tex suits that run over $800. It's time for some middle ground in the pricing structure of these products.

I suspect that most of the price of this gear is the result of patented materials like Gore-Tex, and the vulnerability of these firms that manufacture it to large civil lawsuits if someone drowns while wearing them.

Comment

Thanks for posting. We can never hear this enough. If you find yourself falling in the water clinch your teeth so that you don't inhale water.
      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
      Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thanks Dave!

Definitely looking to upgrade my gear this year. I did get some waders and definitely need a drytop. I'm hoping to find some sales with the holidays approaching.
        WS ATAK

Comment

if you do end up in cold water KEEP CALM. I know, I fell in Rocky G in just about the worst conditions. Late November, 50 degree water, dusk, empty lake, 50ft water in middle of lake, canoe that could not be reentered from water (17' Wenonah Encounter). It rolled to waterline the second I put my hand on the gunnel. There was no way I was getting back in. The water was was cold and black and felt like it wanted to swallow me whole, it seemed right up to my nose, it wanted to yank me under by my ankles then burp up an air bubble for my tombstone. I almost got turned into fishing structure :-(

What helped? 1) Stayed calm - realized this was very serious but that staying calm was critical (don't let breathing run away on you) 2) PFD on 3) stayed with the boat by laying on my back using the PFD for flotation, holding onto the bow with both hands, and kicked to shore. Fortunately the wind was low, the Gorge is narrow, and I was close to the ramp.

Took my Muck neoprene boots off because it was too hard to kick with them on, they floated so I grabbed em on the way back. Started shaking from the cold all over within 10 mins but could still lock up the boat, put keys in the car. More time would have been tougher.

Also had on a cotton fisherman style sweater, jeans, etc. It weighed 20lb when wet and didn't insulate like wool or synthetics. Corrected that as well.

Comment

Kayakers pretty much wear breathable waders. I tell most to wear just shorts and breathable and walk down the ramp to your waist or belly button and stand there for a while. See how long you can handle it. Most want out by the time they are up to their waist, or before. You can't understand what it is like, until you have swam in the winter time. I have been under water twice while duck hunting. Cold water is nothing to play with unless you are prepared!!

Remember, my test situation is under a controlled experiment and you are only cold over half your body, not all of it, but you get the idea pretty fast. Then imaging feeling like that in deep water, when you were not ready for it and you need to self rescue still.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I've never flipped my kayak. I'm sure it could happen. In cold weather I don't take any chances and choose to fish/kayak in familiar areas. I can imagine what it would be like to be in the middle of Rocky Gorge or Triadelphia at sunset in 50 degree water with nobody around. Not a good thought.

So what does everyone wear for clothing?

I use breathable chest waders, with base layers of fleece pants and tops. I have a dry top, but it does not have a rubber gasket around the neck, waist, or wrists.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                I've never flipped my kayak. I'm sure it could happen. In cold weather I don't take any chances and choose to fish/kayak in familiar areas. I can imagine what it would be like to be in the middle of Rocky Gorge or Triadelphia at sunset in 50 degree water with nobody around. Not a good thought.

So what does everyone wear for clothing?

I use breathable chest waders, with base layers of fleece pants and tops. I have a dry top, but it does not have a rubber gasket around the neck, waist, or wrists.
                Dan, without the neck and wrist gaskets, I think you might consider being done for the cold season. I just turtled my new Revo 13 last Thursday out in the bay….learning curve and stupidity. I have a full drysuit, but still got a little wet inside because the relief zipper was just a little bit open. I was in four feet of water, but rolling the kayak back upright with all the dangling rods and the mirage drive fins extended took a couple of times. I was able to re-enter the first try, but i was in the water for a couple of minutes, trying to retrieve a lost sandal in the mud, and some of the gear. Air temp was in the 50's. If I had been totally wet inside the suit, getting back on the yak would have been difficult because of the weight, not to mention the cold. There was no one around me for miles, fortunately I only lost my GoPro and around $150 worth of tackle. The wind and current plus the mud cloud forced me to give up the search and recovery after and hour of trying. My lesson was….no high seat position in the Revo while reaching back to untangle line in the anchor trolly and rudder. My other lesson…the drysuit is worth every penny.

Comment

Scary stuff H-way. Glad to hear you came out OK and it was only gear and stuff lost.

An Alaska Yakker fell overboard from his OB on a "rookie mistake" over extending himself. Water temps there are 50's or less pretty much year round. He was wearing waders, fleece, rain jacket, etc...

He recalls that the initial shock wasn't so bad as Alaskans know how cold their waters are and he was only just outside the harbor. He tried to reenter but could not so he decided to just swim/drag his Yak back in. No problem...just a few dozen yards.

A nearby boat with a landing ramp up front saw him and dropped the ram and scooped both he and the Hobie up. They asked was he okay --Yea, sure, just wet and cold. THEN- he tried but could not stand up on his own. The boat crew lifted him and asked was he sure he was okay. He was and changed into dry clothes and warmed up. Turned out the reason he could not stand was not only from being cold but that his clothing had gained nearly 40 pounds in water. It was like a full backpack on him when he tried to get up. He bought and wears his Kokatat DS now. I just bought my DS after reading that.

Comment

This is what I wear.

NRS Men's Flux Drytop: http://www.nrs.com/product/22515.03/...ns-flux-drytop
                    Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest Dry Pants with Socks: http://www.nrs.com/product/25051/kok...nts-with-socks

If I fished out on the bay in the winter I would suck it up and purchase a really good drysuit. My drytop has an inner tunnel that mates with the dry pants making a water-proof seal at the waist but I would not trust my life with it in a situation where I could potentially spend an extended amount of time in the water.

I do fish alone in the winter (which I really should not do) but in those times I try to stick to a small 90 acre lake.
                    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post

So what does everyone wear for .
                      Last year after reading all the horror story's about this topic, and read someone's quote "it's the best life insurance you can buy", I bought the Kokatat Hydrus 3L Anglers suit. It was EXPENSIVE for sure, but, I'm no good to my family dead. I wore it for the first time yesterday thinking I would not like the constriction around my neck, but I was pleasantly surprised by the comfort. Now all I need is one of those portable rope ladders you throw out your window in case of fire so I can get back in my yak!
                      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                      Cobra Explorer

Comment

This thread reminds me of a YouTube video Kayak Kevin made a couple years ago. Personally I have the typical breathable waders with fleece and shell which is splash proof but not really turtle proof. The waist belt on the waders does a good job of keeping water out but I dont have too long until they start to take on some water. I plan to buy a dry top with a waist strap. I dont do too much winter fishing but I do go out some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtgYP3Xrhdo
                        -Jon
                        Revo 13

Comment

I also wear Kokatat tempest dry pants with a Kokatat dry top with the "double seal" or Tunnel as Dave said, I find the setup comfortable, and allows layers for increased warmth, and I am basically trusting my life to it! I don't go out in the real cold weather but it doesn't have to be colder then it is now.

All the good options are expensive, but who would explain to your family why your life wasn't worth the extra cost.....if you can't justify the extra cost for a good setup, then you should not be able to justify the need to sit in a piece of plastic in life threatening conditions to catch a fish!.....just saying....Jack

Comment

Great article Dave. Thanks for sharing. As for myself I went the Kokatat route with Tempest pants and matching top. I took an unscheduled swim in the Susky late-November of last year and can report that I was as dry as a bone when it was all said and done. As a bonus my buddy policed up the combo that went swimming with me. That's a win-win.
                            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I also sport the dry pant/ semi-dry top combo. Tempest pants and Imersion Research Rival semi-dry top (it has latex wrist gaskets but a neoprene neck).

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Working...
                              X