Hawg Trough repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
    However, my current approach of catching only the smallest of fish precludes the need to carry a measuring device at all. It's a pretty efficient system.
    Awesome. Made me laugh.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

nice, I added wooden dowel rods into the spaces where you have foam and covered with caulk. It floats, and still going strong after many fish and several years use
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Hind sight being what it is; adding wooden dowel where he foam is would have covered both floatation and strength.

The fiberglass makes it pretty heavy, but it should be idiot resistant now.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Nice repair.

A fat 26" rockfish broke my trough during measurement. I fixed it using plastic model cement, then I added plywood with a coating of polyurethane. Yeah, a bit heavy, but it floats and it's strong. No problemo.
          Attached Files
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Wood is so boring, I went with the Goodyhawg trough.jpg and Cowpokey design. Added a little color coordination. Now all I need to do is to catch something big enough to use it.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
              Nice repair.

A fat 26" rockfish broke my trough during measurement. I fixed it using plastic model cement, then I added plywood with a coating of polyurethane. Yeah, a bit heavy, but it floats and it's strong. No problemo.
              Because I read of everyone else's breaking a while back I also did the wood backing like tufnik. Nothing will break this, and I can use it as a fish club! LOL
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Only measured fish I thought may go on the stringer today. Ten or so legal fish so far, 23.25" one just a few minutes ago.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Repaired Hawg Trough worked like a champ today! Float tested it too. Stays on the surface when dropped, thrown or put under water...yes I got bored for a couple minutes after measuring a fish. LOL
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

WWCD...What Would Cowpokey Do! That repair looks great and if it floats all the better! Got an Idea for Beverly Triton meet and great to deal with the sand, what if we put like 3 sheets of plywood down for launch and retrieval to help with the carts. Do you think it would work? They can be picked up after launch and replaced later. Your thoughts Please.

Comment

Originally posted by eyedaddy View Post
                      WWCD...What Would Cowpokey Do! That repair looks great and if it floats all the better! Got an Idea for Beverly Triton meet and great to deal with the sand, what if we put like 3 sheets of plywood down for launch and retrieval to help with the carts. Do you think it would work? They can be picked up after launch and replaced later. Your thoughts Please.
                      That is thinking out of the box. We'd probably need to stack up the wood between launch and recovery over by the bathroom.
                      PigPen - Mt Airy
                      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

The plywood is a good idea, but the sand really isn't "that bad". I pulled my kayak up the sand solo after being on the water for 10 hours the other day.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

The test will be with my beast that is easily over 150lbs once loaded...I have hard tires on my scupper hole cart, not inflatables.

Comment

Bump for the new season, and folks that haven't reinforced their Hawg Trough yet. With the bigger fish around, you're going to want to add some strength before you snap yours too.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks for all the help on this. I just got around to fixing mine... doing it tomorrow. Got everything I need.... I hope. Let y'all know how it turns out
                              Tom Brown
                              Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                              2012 Hobie PA 14'
                              Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                              2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Is the shape of it that makes it so special? I feel like I may be missing out by not owning one. Of course i'd actually have to catch something to need one....
                                '15 Yellow Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X