No announcement yet.

How kayaks are made - pictorial tour of Native factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved it John! One of the best posts ever!
    I'd love to have the word doc. You've got my email. Thanks!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

A very interesting post. Great to see how they make the kayaks. How long does it take from start to finish to make one kayak?

Mobile

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
        A very interesting post. Great to see how they make the kayaks. How long does it take from start to finish to make one kayak?

Mobile
        During the tour we did not follow the exact same kayak from start to finish -- we examined several kayaks at different stages of completion. My guess is that getting one kayak from plastic powder to oven to unmolded hull to finished product would be 2-3 hours. Of course there is extra time (running parallel to the molding process) to make the seats and other fabric components.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Double post.
          Last edited by J.A. Veil; 10-30-2014, 02:27 PM.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks John, Very informative
            Deadwood (Dave)
            West River & Miles River
            2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
            If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

great post!
              2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

John, great job on the post. Must come from writing books.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I was surprised to see this 2014 post show up again. The rotomolding manufacturing process is quite interesting. Native's sister company Hurricane makes thermoformed kayaks, including two Propel versions -- one is sold as a Hurricane model, the other as a Native model. I have not witnessed the thermoforming process in person, but it involves placing a relatively thin sheet of ABS plastic onto a mold and then heating it. The sheet takes the shape of the mold. Last week I visited a large Native dealer in the Tampa area and saw one of the new thermoformed Slayer Propel 12 LT kayaks -- it looked sharp and was quite light. http://nativewatercraft.com/product/...-propel-12-lt/
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

I'm so glad someone found this post, very interesting to see the whole process. I never realized these were made in my hometown state of NC either. Looks like a pretty cool place to work.
                    2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                    X