• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
    5-6# PowerPro or Nanofil on my ultra lites
    10-15# Nanofil on my med freshwater rods
    20# PowerPro on my med to medheavy saltwater rods
    30# PowerPro on my surf rods

I'm using mainly PowerPro and Nanofil right now. I like the PowerPro better than regular Spider Wire. My prefered color is moss green if its available.

I have a bunch or line accumulated. I bought 4 spools of Spider Wire Stealth when it was on sale at Dick's for by one get one free. There was also a rebate at the time so I wound up with 4 spools for $5 a piece. I hope it's a decent line.

There are more superlines that I haven't tried than I've used. I used to use exclusively Fire Line but they changed the recipe and I no longer like it as much. I would take the PowerPro over the Fire Line as well.

I notice wind knots in the Nanofil but haven't noticed any real problems with any of the braids. Nanofil is like fishing with a spider web it's so thin.
    Question on Nanofil. I tried 10lb for ultra light application and wasn't that impressed with the line memory. Yes it is super thin, but the line memory was worse than mono for me. What has been your experience specifically to line memory?

I use PP 15# and 20# for most applications. 50# for Tog jigging.

I haven't had any problems with break-offs
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I still use regular powerpro for everything. Those quality issues were a longggggg time ago and I haven't had a problem in many years. I usually opt for the hi-vis yellow. My smaller stradics have 10-20 lb, 4000 sized stradics get 30lb and my conventionals get 50 or 65.
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I use 20# and 30# Tufline XP on most of my outfits. On my setups where I'm near structure I'll use 50-65# test for a little extra abrasion resistance further up the line than my leader. I used to use Power Pro, but got put onto Tufline and haven't looked back sense. The price is right and the quality is great as well.

I used Spiderwire a few times grabbing a couple of sale spools and they were complete junk. Oh it was so terrible. I honestly don't see why anyone would fish the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
          I used Spiderwire a few times grabbing a couple of sale spools and they were complete junk. Oh it was so terrible. I honestly don't see why anyone would fish the stuff.
          I had the same exact experience. Wind knots like you wouldn't believe. The coating was super waxy, so the braid tended to grab itself a lot. I threw it in my junk bin and use it for high strength repair thread for my Speedy Stitcher.

Comment

Looks like I am not the only one that thinks spiderwire is junk. I am almost always fishing around bridge pilings, oyster beds, docks, rocks...etc and that is why I like the the 65 lb pp. You middle bay guys don't really need it I guess, but if you come down where I fish you are going to want it. I just tie on anywhere from 12-50 lb fluoro leaders. 65 lb pp is so versatile for me and I hardly find the need for anything different on my reels.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
              Question on Nanofil. I tried 10lb for ultra light application and wasn't that impressed with the line memory. Yes it is super thin, but the line memory was worse than mono for me. What has been your experience specifically to line memory?

I use PP 15# and 20# for most applications. 50# for Tog jigging.

I haven't had any problems with break-offs
              I haven't noticed any memory issues with the Nanofil. The main detriments I've noticed are knots around the tip of the rod and abrasion issues. If you think your line wrapped around something it's in your best interest to retie.

I like it better than Fire Line and Spiderwire. I think it casts better then the braids for me. That's why I'm currently using it on my freshwater rods where I'm using lighter lures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              1980 Something Old Town Canoe
              2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
              2015 Coosa HD
              2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
              2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
                I haven't noticed any memory issues with the Nanofil. The main detriments I've noticed are knots around the tip of the rod and abrasion issues. If you think your line wrapped around something it's in your best interest to retie.

I like it better than Fire Line and Spiderwire. I think it casts better then the braids for me. That's why I'm currently using it on my freshwater rods where I'm using lighter lures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                Thanks for the input. I may have gotten a bad batch because the line memory from the original package spool was bad, and when I put it on the reel spool and pulled some line out, it was worse. Because of that I still prefer 10# braid for the lighter applications, but it was worth a try at least.
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

20 or 30 depends on the lure weight and targeted species. Trying to break off snagged braid of heavy poundage is tough and tricky. You can pull yourself off the yak if not careful.

Same experience with Spiderwire - uber-waxy, sticky = yuck. A dozen or so years back using spiderwire in Alaska river fishing for Silver Salmon, I noticed the braid had sawn through some guides, even ceramic. Turns out the crappo braid was collecting silt from the river water and a couple days into fishing i had enough embedded silt to make a "mud saw" like pre-Columbus natives used to cut Jade.

Counterfeit PP - plenty on ebay -pretty much anything shipped from outside the US and some inside. All the good stuff is made here in USA, AFAIK.

charkbait has a neat sales pitch on their offerings with braid history woven into the spiel. https://www.charkbait.com/cs/cshL_Spectra.htm

oh yeah - if your braid fades, not to worry, it's just the dye and coating color. No loss of strength ever happens unless abrasion is going on. Just take the spool off the spinning reel and put on a new spool, then wind the swapped out spool onto the new one. The faded stuff goes on first and is hidden. Tie on your topshot or leader and fish on. Will conventional reels, you will need two other reels to turn it around if you need it back on the same reel.
                  Last edited by Steve; 10-29-2014, 01:28 PM.

Comment

15 pound for my 2500 reels 20for the 3000 and up not never more than 20 unless for trolling 20 lb braid will be strong enough for anything in the bay an rivers just keep your drag loose. I will trust 20 lb braid against a 20 inch rockfish to a 50 lb red drum or a 60+lb cobia lose drag good knots and a strong leader you will be fine.

Power pro line regular. The super slick stuff for me I get more knots using that then regular any color.

Comment

Harry, I actually have had the best luck with Seaguar's Smackdown in 30 and 40. Its a bit smoother than PP and it doesn't fray quite as easily. On my heavy rig I've got 80lb powerpro, and it doesn't hold up well to abrasion like I expected.
                      2013 Jackson Kayak Cuda 12 "Penny"

Comment

Working...
                      X