20 or 30 lb braid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 or 30 lb braid

Ok, here is the question. Do you prefer 20 or 30 lb braid, not for the strenght but the diameter? I have heard and have had some " wind " knots ( in the fly fishing world we call them poor casting knots ). And your favorite manufacturer and line color.

Harry -

I use 10-lb braid on my light and ultralight spinning rods for perch and pickerel fishing. I do get some wind knots when conditions are cold and windy or if I fill the spool too full. Throwing light lures creates more opportunity for wind knots.

I use 20-lb braid on my med-light, medium, and medium heavy spinning rods.

I started using Powerpro a long time ago and have not tried other brands. I try to use bright yellow line these days to help me see it better.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

20# braid for fluke and light bottom fishing
      30# braid for general inshore
      50# braid for trolling for large stripers and blues

I use regular PowerPro, PowerPro Super Slick, FINS, or TUF-Line. All those lines are Made in the US. I used to buy only green. Now I have a combination of green, brown, and orange. Color really doesn't matter too much to me since I always use braid in conjunction with a leader (usually fluorocarbon).

Comment

5-6# PowerPro or Nanofil on my ultra lites
        10-15# Nanofil on my med freshwater rods
        20# PowerPro on my med to medheavy saltwater rods
        30# PowerPro on my surf rods

I'm using mainly PowerPro and Nanofil right now. I like the PowerPro better than regular Spider Wire. My prefered color is moss green if its available.

I have a bunch or line accumulated. I bought 4 spools of Spider Wire Stealth when it was on sale at Dick's for by one get one free. There was also a rebate at the time so I wound up with 4 spools for $5 a piece. I hope it's a decent line.

There are more superlines that I haven't tried than I've used. I used to use exclusively Fire Line but they changed the recipe and I no longer like it as much. I would take the PowerPro over the Fire Line as well.

I notice wind knots in the Nanofil but haven't noticed any real problems with any of the braids. Nanofil is like fishing with a spider web it's so thin.
        Last edited by willf650; 10-27-2014, 06:18 PM.
        1980 Something Old Town Canoe
        2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
        2015 Coosa HD
        2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
        2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

I've become partial to Suffix Braid in Neon Orange.
          Extremely visible, even after it fades.
          I use 10 lb test for just about everything, it tests out at about 18 pounds.
          It isn't the wind knots, it's the tip loops that is problem with thin braids.

Only when I am trolling do I go to heavier 40 lb. Power Pro.

Comment

I like 65 lb power pro only for almost everything.

Comment

Prower Pro Super 8 Slick, fish don't care about color, I use color for easier ID of line size. blue-10 lb, yellow -20lb. I don't use anything heavier for yak fishing, in the surf I use green - 40lb, guess if I used 30lb it would be moss.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I only use spider wire after dealing with power pro's customers services I refuse to ever buy there products. But I only use 20lbs & 40lbs for togging because it's a little easier on the hands when your hung up. For the bay I use 10/15lbs and don't have any problems with wind knots.

Comment

Interesting, bought a 1400 yard spool a few years back of PP S 8 in 40lb and it kept on breaking. Called customer service and they told me it was a defective batch, they sent me a new spool. Guess it depends on who is on the other end and if their having a bad day. Good to know about the customer service problems with Power Pro. Never had a problem with any size line since.
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Thanks for all the responses and you can keep them coming for others to read. I did hear about PP having a lot of counterfeit from china sold online. The package was the same including the us flag on the front of the box. Also heard of PP having some unexplained break offs. Not sure about all that. Going to give Suffix 832 - 20 lb a shot in a bright color on my two new Diaiwa Ballistic EX 3000 reels.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                      Thanks for all the responses and you can keep them coming for others to read. I did hear about PP having a lot of counterfeit from china sold online. The package was the same including the us flag on the front of the box. Also heard of PP having some unexplained break offs. Not sure about all that. Going to give Suffix 832 - 20 lb a shot in a bright color on my two new Diaiwa Ballistic EX 3000 reels.
                      I use 20lb 832. I really like it.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Had terrible luck with lighter spider wire at one time and will never use the stuff anymore. All the reels I use most frequently are spooled up with 65 lb pp and I have not had any problems with the stuff. I just change the fluoro leaders according to what I am targeting. I do have a few smaller reels spooled with 12 lb pp, but I hardly ever use them. I use the smaller reels and lighter line mainly when I go to certain areas for specks only and also for the occasional freshwater trips.
                        Last edited by JohnE; 10-28-2014, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I've switched to pp super slick 8 from reg pp and fire line crystal much better casting and stays together longer not separating. Mostly use 10,15 & 20 # test and only use higher test for off shore fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                            Had terrible luck with lighter spider wire at one time and will never use the stuff anymore. All the reels I use most frequently are spooled up with 65 lb pp and I have not had any problems with the stuff. I just change the fluoro leaders according to what I am targeting. I do have a few smaller reels spooled with 12 lb pp, but I hardly ever use them.
                            No Spider wire for me. Period.
                            I use 50# PP for Saltwater jigging and casting a lure heavier than 1/2 OZ, for spot, flounder, tog, cow striper. Leader 30-50# based on the fish
                            I use 15# PP for casting 1/32 OZ jig for specks and puppy drum.

Wind knots - PP under 30# test, I carry two rods, an extra reel spooled, and an extra line

Joe
                            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                              I did hear about PP having a lot of counterfeit from china sold online. .
                              A lot of PowerPro's counterfeit problems come from sites like Ebay and Alibaba. If someone is offering a smoking deal on PowerPro braid and it's shipping from China, it's counterfeit. All PowerPro is made in Grand Junction, CO. If there is ever a question on a listing, I'd pass on buying it.

Comment

Working...
                              X