No announcement yet.

CBBT (dos bulls?) Kipto (togs) Sat/Sun 25-26 Oct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got the revo sx instead and another tiger lite to go with it...happy birthday to me!
    Last edited by JohnE; 10-31-2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

My older Revo SX HS (7.1 ratio), and it caught me a 42" bull red, weighs 9 oz. The newer one, and I think you have it, weighs 6.9 oz. Over 2 ounces lighter now, cool. Do you have the 6.4 ratio?
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I did not get the high speed. I did sort of want that one, but Amazon was able to deliver same day on the 6.4...I get so impatient on these things.

Comment

Hmm.
          I've been buying the lower speed reels (low gear ratio) intentionally for saltwater species. To me it is easier to crank the reels with the low speed reels because heavy sinkers, heavy jigs and bigger lures, and stronger fish. Am I the only one feels this way? I can lift togs up faster with the low speed reels. Perhaps I need to build arm strength.

BTW, I received my Pflueger within 3 days from Walmart. The site stated that it takes 5-9 days for free shipping. I guess shipping department ships out immediately regardless the shipping types.

I also ordered KastKing braided lines (15, 20 and 50 # test) from Amazon. I ordered a no name brand because I think name brands are over priced. And if this inexpensive lines are proven good enough, we can save about 50% on the braided lines. I usually cut off about 20-30' of the main line when I attach a new leader after each trip. So personally I will save money a lot. I will do strength (knot) tests when I receive them. I think the smoothness of 40# plus test braided line doesn't matter much. But I am going to check smoothness of 15 and 20# test lines for cast-ability for a very light lures.

Durability tests of the new lines comes later starting next weekend.

Joe
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Yeah, it's easier to crank at lower gear ratio, but I prefer the higher ratio for faster retrieves. When a load is on the line, I really don't notice the harder crank because I use body lean and leverage to pull the load up. I then reel up when I drop the rod back down. In most fishing situations, I find the faster retrieve is preferable. Even when I go deep drop fishing, I prefer my high ratio 6.1 conventional. Again, I use body leverage to pull up the heavy load, then crank when I drop the rod down. On the other hand, a lot of people like low gear ratio, so I think it's personal preference.

That's a good price at Walmart, better than what I bought my XT for. I'm tempted to buy another one.

Thanks for the tip on KastKing. The comments on that braid look good. I think I'll buy some for my deep drop reel because I always lose line from people cutting lines on the tangles. On one trip, someone cut off about 150 yds. Anyway, maybe I should buy a 1000 yds? Sure is cheap.

Comment

I bough 500 yard spool because I want to test first. You may wait until I received the spools. I can put a 5-10 LB dumbbell on the line and rub the lines against the rod tip. For a 30 minute test, I may know the quality of the lines

Joe
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I am also interested in finding out about that line. I have looked at some of that cheap stuff in the past, but did not want to bother with trying it out if it is junk. Power pro is definitely too expensive.

Still need to spool up my new revo sx. Should have my new tiger lite to put it on today.

Comment

John,
                  I hear you.
                  BTW, I held an Ugly Stick Lite, rated 4-7 oz at Dick's. several days ago. I admit. I was prejudiced against Ugly Stick because I have not used the new models. That was a good rod but a little too heavy to me compare to expensive rods. But it was a lot lighter than some Muskie rods I started with. One hand hook set was quite possible with the Ugly Stick, I thought that time. I really want to try the Ugly Stick Lite rated up to 5 oz - which you are getting as I really want cheaper alternative rods under $70 for tog and bull reds for all kayak fishing anglers

joe
                  Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-04-2014, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Ok, will wait until you test the braid, Joe.

How much does the Tiger Lite weigh? I consider 5 ounces or less as light. My favorite XML rod, used for jigging, weighs 4.8 ounces.

My tog rod is a Cabelas MagTouch rated at 2 ounces lure. It's just right for 2 ounce sinkers, and I get fairly quick hook sets. It weighs 5 ounces, and it is noticeably stiffer than my jigging rods.

I like my Bass Pro Bionic Blade rods because they're reasonably priced, durable, and comfortable to hold. My lightest Bionic jigging rod weighs 4.6 ounces.

I also have a musky rod rated at 2 ounces; for togs. I don't use it because it weighs over 8 ounces.
                    Last edited by tufnik; 11-04-2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

The tiger 'lite' is not actually very 'light'. It is much lighter than the regular tigers, but not going to be anything like those really expensive rods. I am very tough on mine...they just get thrown in the bed of my truck usually and I will actually use them to help me hold position around pilings, docks...etc. They are ridiculously durable and have pretty good action for what they are. I have actually closed the door on one before and it survived, did the same thing with a penn rod and it did not. That is why I love them. But if you want something extremely lightweight, you are not going to like them.

Comment

Tufnik and John,
                        I found something very interesting. I received the KastKing 15 and 20# test braid yesterday (by using my son's Amazon prime). I received the spool of 50# test braided today. I conducted my own tests with 15 and 20 # test only - KastKing vs Powerpro for over 8 hours. I am editing the report of my dry land test result now. I will post the result on the main board by tomorrow evening (with video showing how I conducted the tests).

The Bottom line is..... Buy KastKing, one spool for the field tests if you want for sure.

joe
                        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-07-2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Did you do an abrasion test? I saw such a test on you-tube last year. I think the guy pulled the line over a rock (back and forth) and counted the number of strokes before it broke. Not exactly scientific, but good enough for me to get some idea of abrasion resistance compared to mono or other braid brands.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                            Did you do an abrasion test? I saw such a test on you-tube last year. I think the guy pulled the line over a rock (back and forth) and counted the number of strokes before it broke. Not exactly scientific, but good enough for me to get some idea of abrasion resistance compared to mono or other braid brands.
                            I spent total of 15 hours for testing 1) Cast-ability, 2) Knot Strength, and 3) Abrasion resistance tests. I used a hammer to test the abrasion resistance. The edges of the split (claw) on the hammer is not too rough, but it was rough enough to cut breaded in 5 -20 minutes. Abrasion tests were the most time consuming tests. I video taped the most of my experiments/tests. I put the videos and results together on one video. When I get home I will upload the video to Youtube and Post the tests and test results.

Bottom line: KastKing (15, 20, and 50# test) is better than or equal to PowerPro in Cast-ability, Knot Strength, and Abrasion resistance.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                              John,
                              I hear you.
                              BTW, I held an Ugly Stick Lite, rated 4-7 oz at Dick's. several days ago. I admit. I was prejudiced against Ugly Stick because I have not used the new models. That was a good rod but a little too heavy to me compare to expensive rods. But it was a lot lighter than some Muskie rods I started with. One hand hook set was quite possible with the Ugly Stick, I thought that time. I really want to try the Ugly Stick Lite rated up to 5 oz - which you are getting as I really want cheaper alternative rods under $70 for tog and bull reds for all kayak fishing anglers

joe
                              Joe,

I second the ugly stick casting rod in the 7' heavy action. I think that's the 5 oz. I really like it. It is sensitive enough for me to feel a lot of the bites and I have successfully fished with it. I use an avet reel on it so it is not the lightest set up, but I one hand fish a lot because I am in a Ocean Kayak and it has faired well. I would buy another one if mine were to break (if it ever does). If you are looking for a cheap tog, red rod... this will definitely give you all the power and sensitivity you need.
                              The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X