X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT (dos bulls?) Kipto (togs) Sat/Sun 25-26 Oct

CBBT (dos bulls?) Kipto (togs) Sat/Sun 25-26 Oct

CBBT Saturday

I met JohnE and his buddy Mike at the launch site. Conditions were marginal; rough surf and 10-15 kts wind. We went anyway and got wet on the launch.

Anyway, there I was, in between the 1st and 2nd SBCs. I was innocently jigging a white bucktail, hoping for flounder. Heck, puppy drum or striper would have been good too.

It was just before 2 pm, and I caught nothing. I was soaking frozen sand fleas for about half an hour when I decided to switch back to jigging. I dropped the rig, and seconds later, I feel the familiar pull. I set the hook, and the reel went whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

To make a long story short, it was a “pesky bull red.”

Since 13 Sept I unintentionally caught two bull reds on separate CBBT trips. Not to mention the numerous other big hook ups that resulted in broken line and lost rigs. That’s why I call them “pesky,” because I was after flounder…lol…

So, this was my third bull. It measured 38 inches.

Ok, I was somewhat content with having a “good” catch. It was just after 4 pm. Again, hoping for flounder, I drop the rig at a 2nd SBC piling. Before the rig hit the bottom, I feel another big pull. Yep, the small baitcaster went whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I thought, “Ok, am I going to lose this thing or what?”

After about 15 minutes of a nice sleigh ride, I had it yak side. It measured 44 inches. Too bad, no one was around to take a pic of me and the fish.

I didn’t catch flounder. But it was dang exciting catching dos red bulls in one afternoon.

Total catch: toads, 1 keeper black sea bass (12.5”), 2 bull reds (38, 44”)

Kipto Sunday

Even though it looked good at CBBT at 0700 hrs, the forecast was bad. So, I decided to go to Kipto. Met up with JohnE there, and we launched after 9 am.

Waves were 2-3 ft with white caps. NW winds were 15-20 knots with higher gusts. We launched anyway. It was rough fishing up until noon, but the wind and waves died down. It was a very nice afternoon.

I jigged a white bucktail until my arm fell off. No flounder. I did use Mike’s fiddlers, and I caught five togs in the wreck holes.

My catch: toads, 4 short togs, and 1 keeper tog (16").
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 10-27-2014, 09:46 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Kipto pics

(BTW, John, send me your email and I'll send more pics of you)
    Attached Files

Comment

Good fishing with you again. Conditions were really tough this weekend...wind, waves, tricky current with crosswinds, dirty water. All I caught Sat was oyster toads for all that effort. By the time I made it to the first boat channel, it was low tide and really tough fishing. I was getting some tog bites, but gave up too soon. I still can't believe Mike gave up after he spent all that time catching the mother load of green crabs and fiddlers to go togging with us.

I did manage to pull one almost keeper tog out of the ships...thought for sure it was a keeper by the way it fought. I had the stringer out and everything when I got it in the yak...so close.

Made a short stop at hrbt last night on the way back. Couple specks, but still no stripers. 1 large and 1 small speck, but battery died and no pics. Water was cleaning up nice by the time I left and conditions were like glass. Today would have been a good day for flounder, but unfortunately it is back to work for me.

DSCN1427.jpg
      Last edited by JohnE; 10-27-2014, 10:26 AM.

Comment

OK, Efrin,
        You are King Bull Red in my dictionary. I am so glad to you caught more bull reds. If I can fish next weekend, I am going to hit CBBT on Sunday.
        The black sea bass was the second keeper from CBBT I know. John caught the first one this summer I believe.

John,
        Did you try for bull reds?

Joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I do not target them, but it would be fun to catch one sometime. I have been watching the bull whisperer's technique and maybe there will still be a couple hanging around if I can get back out there soon. Apparently I do not target the areas around the pilings where they like to hang out.

Comment

That's right, John. I think you have to NOT want to target them. In your heart, you want flounder, puppies, whatever. Then maybe you get a good unintentional bull fight..lol...

Comment

Nice fish and nice report!
              Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Oh, and I also got to break in my new revo s baitcaster on that tog. I am glad I took back the lew's bb2, you definitely need a stronger drag. The revo s on an ugly stik tiger light 1-5oz rod definitely seems to be a solid tog rig for the price (about $175). Now I am already thinking about getting one of the pfluegers.

Comment

Beautiful fish... man it sure looked rough on the outside of the ships. No flounder huh? Have they moved out already?
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                    That's right, John. I think you have to NOT want to target them. In your heart, you want flounder, puppies, whatever. Then maybe you get a good unintentional bull fight..lol...
                    Too funny Efrin! I can see your reaction thinking: "Again!?" LOL

That third picture of you with the Red is a great one bro! Congrats Bull whisperer! LOL
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

That red has some really unique spots. I've never seen a bull with so many; usually it's just the pups.
                      Brian

Comment

John,
                        Not to persuade you, ...lol... but that lightweight 6.5 ounce XT reel caught three bull reds with no problem so far.

Chex,
                        Dave caught flounder in Nov, so I think they're around. I will still try again soon.

Yeah, Bob, I thought the spot pattern was cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                          John,
                          Not to persuade you, ...lol... but that lightweight 6.5 ounce XT reel caught three bull reds with no problem.

The revo s is pretty nice but I can order a supreme xt, which is over 1 oz lighter, for about what I paid...already looking for more baitcasters obviously. Man, I am getting old, my wrists are feeling all that jigging on the weekends. I bet I may end up with almost as many low profiles as you within the next couple years.

Comment

hmm... one more year of trouble free with Pflueger Supreme (I had it for 2 years), I can recommend the model for togging, cow stripers and bull reds.

John,
                            I just found that on Wall-Mart online:
                            Pflueger Supreme XT (left handle): $111.51- free shipping
                            Pflueger Supreme (left handle): $78.33- free shipping

I may buy and carry a Pflueger Supreme for spare instead of carrying a spool of PowerPro.
                            BTW, I put more lines (by 15-20%) on my current Pflueger Supreme than Revo S.

Joe
                            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-29-2014, 06:34 AM.
                            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Yeah, I am about to order one soon from there. I tried to order one there last week with two day shipping and they canceled my order because they could not get it to me that fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X