CBBT question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT question

So, I really only do fresh water fishing,lakes, creeks, in my eagle talon 12, but i am seeing so many posts on CBBT and the fishing reports are awesome and looks fun, so my question is how late in the season do many of you fellow kayakers fish at CBBT, is the fishing good thru the winter? I am wanting to go possible in the middle of this up coming week if weather it right and hopefully my kayak is a good enough one and im not being murdered by waves. Any info would be helpfully or a guide
    I fish everyday that ends in "Y"

Fishing should be good into November, but I prefer to fish kipto or hrbt this time of the year. Wish I was able to... The cows could show up at the
    Ships soon and tog and reds should also be around them
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I didn't see Eagle talon 12 yet. It doesn't look it's a large kayak. In my experience, I think the max weight of a kayak is accurate or adequate on OK, WS and Hobie. But some other brands, the max weight were exaggerated, especially the kayaks at Dick's (I like Dick's). . But based on the spec, the kayak may be good enough as long as you could re-enter easily in the freshwater. And make sure you are with a capable person during the first trip. See my thread in Delaware forum "Zero Bites... a Turtle Kayak" posted Oct 27, 2014.

BTW, Tufnik landed two more Bull Reds on the last Sat, Oct 25.

I fished with Tufnik in December. No more Bull Red in December, but plenty of stripers @18-23" for fun. I catch a few tog and many stripers in Dec usually.

I fish CBBT until the first weekend of January depending on the water temp. I suggest you launch with me or other members for safety reason and fishing spots. If the forecast is wrong, and the wind is too much for you at the launch spot, we can find a backup place for you.

Joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-27-2014, 08:34 AM.
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Like Joe said...go with an experienced person the first time. You will need to get a piling hugger and learn how to use it if you want to fish pilings in a paddle yak most days. Cbbt is typically an all day thing. I usually start at 7 or 8 in the morning and get back in around 4 or 5 when going to the 1st island.

If you don't want to go all the way to the island, you can catch good fish as close as the first boat channel. You might even get lucky closer in than that. You may get there and think the 1st island doesn't really look that far, but don't let it fool you. It could be the longest, toughest paddle you have ever attempted if you are new to Saltwater. My friend tried to go out there with me on Sat, but he gave up about 3/4 of the way out...and he was in a hobie.

Definitely bring all safety equipment (small air horn, whistle, submersible vhf, cell phone in waterproof case), and you are going to need cold weather gear from this time on.

Stripers are still not really showing yet down there.

Comment

Ditto on the above comments.

Going from creeks and lakes to CBBT is a huge leap. I regard CBBT as among the most severe - ripping currents, 3-4' swells, strong gusts and unpredictable wx. I recommend you really understand this place, for your safety. I have been caught in situations that scared the s___ out of me.

At this time, I think you can catch mainly reds, striper, flounder, and togs. Other fish too, here and there. Nov/Dec is the latest I'll go because of unpredictable wx and the danger of cold water. There's probably a few who go out later, but they are experienced yakers with good dry suits.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Hey thanks guys for all the good information, yeah I surely don't want to be like the newbie in "Zero Bites... a Turtle Kayak" thread. I want to be safe and learn from you guys that know the area! So anyone free to do some fishing this week?
            I fish everyday that ends in "Y"

Comment

I am planning to fish on Sunday. If I can, I will be at Buoy 44 Seafood Grill at 07:00 AM

joe
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Nate,
                If I were you, I'd take advantage of the opportunity. Joe has run into many sea conditions/situations, and he is a very experienced and capable yaker.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

This weekend is looking terrible down there. I will definitely not be going on Sunday. Going to try and make a quick trip somewhere closer to home on Fri before the weather kicks up.

Comment

I can fish Sunday only. But I am not planning to fish due to the strong wind forecast.

joe

Comment

Working...
                    X