First trip in the Slayer Propel 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First trip in the Slayer Propel 10

I took the new Slayer Propel 10 out this morning for 3.5 hours. It is 3 ft shorter and 27 lbs lighter than the Slayer Propel 13 I bought last year. It is much easier to handle on land (I can lift it by the side handle using just one arm, and walk a short distance). It fits fully inside my Honda Odyssey minivan. This new kayak also has a Propel pedal drive and an elevated seat.

003.jpg

The conditions were calm, so I was not able to see how it handled in rough seas. But under today's conditions, I was very impressed with the layout, room, ease of movement and turning, and stability. The cockpit area in the SP 10 is essentially the same size as the SP 13. Even at my large height and weight, I felt quite comfortable and not cramped.

005.jpg

The SP 10 is very stable, at least under the calm conditions I faced today. It offers the same weight capacity (500 lbs) as the SP 13. The rear well and the bow area are shorter than in the SP 13, but the rear of the boat is wider.

004.jpg

My SP 13 has a rudder, but does not turn sharply. I added a larger aftermarket rudder which greatly improved the turning performance. The SP 10 turns easily and quickly with the standard rudder. I suppose that having less hull weight and less keel length allows the same-sized rudder to work more effectively on the SP 10.

The Propel drive is identical to the one on the SP 13, with the exception that a shorter cross-bar is used. All the mechanical parts are the same. The SP 10 has the latest version of seals that minimize corrosion issues. The SP 10 had very fast response time when I began pedaling. Almost immediately, it was up to speed. On several occasions my casts caught on docks or overhanging trees. I was able to pedal in close, quickly lift the Propel, retrieve my lure, and drop the Propel back down, and back out to resume fishing.

On the way back into Weems Creek I met a friend from the SRRKC who was fishing from his boat. He took a few photos of me in the new kayak.

004_2.jpg 008.jpg

I really enjoyed fishing for pickerel today from the SP 10 -- its elevated seat gave good visibility and casting angles, and the easy maneuverability (both forward and reverse) allowed me to position myself wherever I wanted to be. This could become my go-to winter time kayak when I am mainly casting for pickerel.

I was able to troll 4 lines today, but did not hook any fish (I blame it on too many floating leaves that fouled my lures). I suspect that the SP 13 will prove to be a better trolling platform overall, particularly in rough water. But I was definitely impressed with all the features and capabilities offered by this new pocket battleship.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

kinda nice the cockpit is the same size as the larger boat and has a outstanding capacity...both surprising stats!! best of luck with your new yak!!

Comment

If I can get away from the yellow perch this winter...I want to try a few creeks I fished for White Perch in the summer. In Dundalk I saw some potential pickerel habitats in Bear Creek and Back River. Some nice coves with lay downs, rotting piers and boat houses.

Congrats on the new boat John, I am amazed at the 58lbs!
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Great looking rig!

Comment

Thanks for the review, John. I'm very interested in one down the line.
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thanks for the review John! Always curious to hear about the slayer yaks. Next summer i might try to demo one.
            J

Comment

Just waiting a few more weeks. I can't wait to get one! Upgraded my tackle today. Went to weeks I the afternoon, got hooked up a few times but they all wiggled off! Looking so forward to having the rudder and reverse.

Good to see the rudder works well.
              Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
              Tarpon 120
              Ascend D10T

Personal bests
              25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
              http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
              Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

Looks good John and the 58 lbs is prefect for me as well. I am having trouble departing with 2300 but have not found an alternative. enjoy.
                Wayne
                Old town 158
                Fusion 124
                Ascend D10T
                Ocean== looking

Comment

How is the cruising speed compared to the 13 with the same amount of effort? Close to the same or noticeably different?
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                    How is the cruising speed compared to the 13 with the same amount of effort? Close to the same or noticeably different?
                    I did not mount a GPS on the new one yet, so I cannot give precise quantitative data. With no wind or chop yesterday, I could quickly get up to speed and zip along at a comfortable cruising speed. I have read reports from other users who feel the SP 10 is slightly slower at top speed than the SP 13. But for the way I fish, the top speed is never an issue. With the lighter weight and shorter wetted hull length, the SP 10 seems to require less effort at cruising speed. I want to try it out in rougher water, like the 2 foot chop in which I pedaled my SP 13 across the Severn River mouth the previous Saturday. Then I can fully evaluate how the shorter hull performs.

I forgot to mention in the original post that I raised the Propel drive and paddled for a few minutes to see what it felt like. It tracked nice and straight and paddled easily. It is good to know that I have that backup capability in case of a leg cramp.

As I have mentioned on other posts, I am happy to meet Snaggedline members somewhere in Annapolis to check out the SP 10.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      I want to try it out in rougher water, like the 2 foot chop in which I pedaled my SP 13 across the Severn River mouth the previous Saturday. Then I can fully evaluate how the shorter hull performs.
                      You have that opportunity with these darn winds.

I wasn't sure if you had GPS mounted. I troll from launch to landing, so top speed is rarely tested on my kayak. It will be good to hear more of your evaluation as time on the hull broadens.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Here is a photo of another Native Pro Staff team member from Jacksonville, FL who caught a large shark from his Slayer Propel 10. I am not planning on trying for big sharks in my kayak, but this shows the capabilities of the boat.

Slayer 10 and shark.jpg
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                        X