• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Color Combinations for winter yellow perch

What are your favorite colors for plastic baits for winter yellow perch

Nobody has any favorites?

Comment

This will be my first yellow perch season, so I don't know. I hope someone posts something because I haven't a clue what to use for yellow perch. Same as white perch, like a rooster tail or the Strike King type of lure?
      I can do a search on it.
      Last edited by Pc4sun; 10-27-2014, 08:16 AM.
      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
      Cobra Explorer

Comment

I've always done well with a 3 inch power grub in chartreuse pearl on a 1/16 oz jig.
        Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
        Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
        Northern Pike: 24 inches
        Crappie: 12 inches
        Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Down near the mouth of the susky I always do well with anything purple. Usually something as ridiculous as a hi-low rig with 2 inch section of ripped purple worm. Of course, last year there were no perch so nothing worked
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I always seem to do well with either a road runner in chartreuse or white 1/16 - 1/4 oz or feather jigs in said white,chartreuse, or even purple.
            '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
            '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
            Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

I don't think it matters. I almost always go either white or dark and that's it. I'm not a believer in a multitude of colors. I think size and action are the top priorities. Fishing for YP in winter is usually in deeper water where light doesn't really reach in the bay and white is the last to disappear which is why if I have a choice, I'll go with white. Does anyone have situations where one color works when another doesn't?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

Thanks ....... Keep um coming ........ The reason I ask is because I got a couple of molds that should be great for crappie and perch so I was wondering which colors to try ....... Right now it seems white chartruse and purple

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                  I don't think it matters. I almost always go either white or dark and that's it. I'm not a believer in a multitude of colors. I think size and action are the top priorities. Fishing for YP in winter is usually in deeper water where light doesn't really reach in the bay and white is the last to disappear which is why if I have a choice, I'll go with white. Does anyone have situations where one color works when another doesn't?
                  This.

Black, white, silver work at all depths in all seasons. Red is the first color in the spectrum to lose color at depth, so checking on the color spectrum and what depth it is visible might be helpful. I know about red from scuba diving, but it's been a while, so I don't recall the order of colors vs depth. Red loses its vibrance at 10' and eventually looks brown as you get deeper.

Chartreuse loses it's brightness too, and looks off-white when you get deeper.

Distance doesn't matter for visual acuity; water is a natural light filter and all parts of the visible spectrum are effected depending on the depth below the surface.

Hope that makes sense.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

You should get ahold of the guys that fish deep creek lake, there a nuisance up there. You can just about catch them on anything. A small jigging spoon topped with a night crawler usually produces.well.
                    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
                    X