safe power on board with converter ability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safe power on board with converter ability

Im looking for tips on how to add power to my kayak and add a power converter to add an outlet to charge battery powered gadgets such as walkie talkies and lights for multi day trips. I know it will be off a battery or two. Just never done this yet

I have an ascend FS10 and the back storage well has a molded space for a battery. Im just not sure how to put.it all together safely as im not an electrician and electricity frightens me haha.

There are small inverters that will do just that sort of thing. We sell small inverters at West Marine, from 250 watts to 1000watts. However, that is also going to draw down your battery faster. For multi-day trips, why not just recharge overnight or get a alkaline backup battery pack for the radio. Inverters are an option if you are camping way out in the sticks and carry extra batteries for the inverter. In any case, I don't think I would want to carry an inverter on a kayak. Maybe solar would be a better option.

Comment

can you recommend any solar units? im all for a green approach

Comment

Spare batteries for the gadgets would be the way to go. Lighter, cheaper, gremlin resistant.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by K0ttDiledundee View Post
          can you recommend any solar units? im all for a green approach
          I don't have first hand experiance, but I've heard good things about products from Goal Zero.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
            Spare batteries for the gadgets would be the way to go. Lighter, cheaper, gremlin resistant.
            Now I agree spare bateries are a good way to go. And I do have some. But I also have gadgets with non replaceable batteries. Its a design flaw im trying to work with

Comment

Originally posted by K0ttDiledundee View Post
              Now I agree spare bateries are a good way to go. And I do have some. But I also have gadgets with non replaceable batteries. Its a design flaw im trying to work with
              I have an iPhone, I'm familiar with the flaw of not having a replaceable battery. Stay away from the inverter idea and get a 12 VDC charger for the gadget without a replaceable battery. Going battery (DC) to inverter (AC) back to battery (DC) is inefficient and leads to more equipment failure possibilities.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Saw a video where a guy used one of these to charge gopro batteries and phone on a 5 day Devils River trip in TX. Seems like they worked well because he was filming everyday. http://biolitestove.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                  I have an iPhone, I'm familiar with the flaw of not having a replaceable battery. Stay away from the inverter idea and get a 12 VDC charger for the gadget without a replaceable battery. Going battery (DC) to inverter (AC) back to battery (DC) is inefficient and leads to more equipment failure possibilities.
                  I would go this route as well. If your stuff can get charged via USB is great then get one of those USB power banks, but you'd need something with a high mAh. The reviews help you on which to get.

If you can't use USB but can use a cig lighter adapter. There are power banks with those cig plugs like in a car.

I love the solar power option, but I'd typically be fishing when i have to charge my stuff.

Comment

I have a lead-acid battery for my fishfinder which lasts me a few days between charges
                    If I wanted to run or charge USB gadgets, then i would get something like this...
                    http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Converter.../dp/B00D6B6CJI.
                    If you want lights, then I would get 12V lights from a place like West Marine (preferably LED).
                    I use standard trailer connectors like this...31zEQAOqCWL.jpg and a fuse in the battery box.

Comment

Working...
                    X