Rod holders help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod holders help needed

i have a 12 ft perception pescador sit on and I'm looking to install rod holders for the sake of trolling only. I'm looking into getting the Scotty rod holders to be mounted out of paddle reach in front of me. I'm thinking of using the Scotty rod holder extenders and facing the rod holders outward so the rods and line are completely outta my paddle stroke. Can any1 tell me if this sounds plausible or maybe you have done it like this or have a better idea maybe with pictures. Thanks so much every1

Originally posted by Mattybofmd View Post
    i have a 12 ft perception pescador sit on and I'm looking to install rod holders for the sake of trolling only. I'm looking into getting the Scotty rod holders to be mounted out of paddle reach in front of me. I'm thinking of using the Scotty rod holder extenders and facing the rod holders outward so the rods and line are completely outta my paddle stroke. Can any1 tell me if this sounds plausible or maybe you have done it like this or have a better idea maybe with pictures. Thanks so much every1
    Check out the book you just bought ;-) There's pics in there to help you out bro for exactly what you're talking about.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Comes in the mail tomorrow!!! Didn't realize it was gonna cover every detail I'm super pumped thanks again

Comment

That's how I would recommend the rod holders be mounted. I have had them every which way on other kayaks and up front is by far the best spot for me. No issues paddling, easy to change lures, easy to watch the rod, easy to grab the rod, and your not turning around in the kayak constantly.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...Profish-Relaod

Comment

Yep, out front and out of the way of paddling is best for me. Not sure why you would need extenders on a paddle yak. I just put some on my hobie so they are not in the way of pedaling. I like to have rod holders behind me as well for upright storage when I am grinding pilings, but I also occasionally troll a rod out back as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
            Check out the book you just bought ;-) There's pics in there to help you out bro for exactly what you're talking about.
            Out of curiosity, which book are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnP View Post
              Out of curiosity, which book are you referring to?
              This one: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...hlight=cat+bag

I've also set up a page for it here: https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake.kayak.trolling

Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                Thanks for the info! I'm fairly new to the area and am just now learning about kayak fishing, so this looks perfect!

Comment

If you are planning on going after big fish I would steer clear of the rod holder extender and go with Scotty rocket launcher style. I have an extender and it's super flimsy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Frankthefitter View Post
                    If you are planning on going after big fish I would steer clear of the rod holder extender and go with Scotty rocket launcher style. I have an extender and it's super flimsy.

The Scotty rod extender is extremely solid. There may be some brands that aren't good, but mine have held up to years of stripers as big as they come.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I've got an extender and I would not trust it trolling for rockfish

Comment

Working...
                      X