Picked up my Slayer Propel 10 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up my Slayer Propel 10 today

Today I visited the Native Watercraft factory in Fletcher, NC (near Asheville) and had a thorough tour of the plant with their Slayer Propel product manager. I will be preparing a more detailed description of the manufacturing process in the next week or so that may be of interest to all of us owning polypropylene kayaks.

I left the factory and headed north on the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway. As dusk approached, I pulled off and found a motel in tiny Pineola, NC. Tomorrow I have over 450 miles of driving ahead of me. Hopefully I will have some time on Friday to assemble the Propel unit and take the new boat out for a test ride.

Here are photos of the Native guys loading my kayak into my minivan. At only 10 ft long, the entire kayak fits inside the van.

042.jpg 053.jpg 045.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

You are having too much fun! The new boat is neat that it fits inside the van, the stern looks a bit square, wonder how it does in a following sea? Enjoy!.....Jack

Comment

I like the color choice.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        I like the color choice.
        Native calls that color "Lizard Lick", which is a town in central NC. During my tour today, I got to watch how they add the pigmented plastic powder to the molds to make the variegated patterns like mine -- pretty cool.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Would have been cool if you could have watched them mold yours. I suppose that's time prohibitive though, since they still have to trim them add all the hardware after they cool.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I thought you already had a 10 foot slayer.
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
              I thought you already had a 10 foot slayer.
              I have had a Slayer Propel 13 for nearly a year -- the 10s are just now coming available. Mine was ready 3 weeks ago, but I did not have time to get it until this week.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                At only 10 ft long, the entire kayak fits inside the van.
                I like that it is very portable. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how it performs compared to the 13 ft version.

Congrats on the new boat ...

Comment

Congratulations on the newest addition to your fleet.

I can't wait to see it wet.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congrats on your new addition. This may be a loaded open ended question, but what does one do with a FLEET of Kayaks???!!!
                    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                      Congrats on your new addition. This may be a loaded open ended question, but what does one do with a FLEET of Kayaks???!!!
                      It is somewhat like having a single fishing rod that you use for all applications vs. having a bunch of rods that are optimized for different uses. I fish several times a week from my kayaks and like having flexibility. It is unlikely I will keep all four kayaks in the long term, but will take some time before deciding which one(s) I decide to sell. The new Slayer Propel 10 offers light weight plus pedal drive -- it may make one of the other kayaks obsolete for my purposes.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Thanks John, I know someday in the future, I will be creating a fleet as well, since I am already looking at other makes and models.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

John,

Did you pick that color to match your eyes?
                          Carpe Pisces

Comment

You can address him as Captain John from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by whenican View Post
                              You can address him as Captain John from now on.
                              More like Commodore John

Comment

Working...
                              X