No announcement yet.

Dundee launch, anyone fish from there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dundee launch, anyone fish from there?

Before I got into kayak fishing, I rented a kayak from ultimate water sports with my son, it was a Malibu tandem and we had a blast.. that experience helped with my decision to try kayak fishing. We launched out of Dundee creek up near Bowleys Quarters. That is farther north than most of you have mentioned in your posts, but I recall it as being quite protected from winds with maybe enough open water for some decent fish.

Any of you guys go up there much and try it?
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

I've put in at marshy point nature center a few times which is directly across Dundee creek from the marina. There's always a lot of guys bass fishing around there but I've personally never had any luck. Haven't been there since July though so Idk how much this beautiful roctober weather has changed things up there.

Comment

When I was a kid, we would launch out of Dundee all the time and go crabbing right in the creek and a little ways out into the gunpowder. Too bad the crabbing isn't as good as it used to be anymore. In a couple months, there's a nice little spot not too far from Dundee that holds Striper when the water gets cold... Think WWD
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
        When I was a kid, we would launch out of Dundee all the time and go crabbing right in the creek and a little ways out into the gunpowder. Too bad the crabbing isn't as good as it used to be anymore. In a couple months, there's a nice little spot not too far from Dundee that holds Striper when the water gets cold... Think WWD
        I know this spot Ryan. The wwd is right at the end of my street. Very good spot ! Used to be able to drive to the bridge n fish years ago until bge took it over. Always caught fish there.
        2014 Hobie Dune Outback
        2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
        Rob

Comment

what is WWD?
          I looked for a bridge and the only one I found was Carroll Island Road, but that looks like it is over real shallow water. To the north there is a railroad bridge.

Comment

WWD is warm water discharge. That's the spot
            2014 Hobie Dune Outback
            Rob

Comment

I fished from shore at this launch a couple weeks ago & was skunked. It was also low tide and lots of grass exposed.

Comment

I tried frogging the grass last year. Not even a sniff. Back in the day, we used to catch a ton of yp in there.
                Native Slayer 12
                Native Ultimate

Comment

That area used to be a great LMB fishery years ago but from what ive read not so great anymore. I think they do still have bass tournies out of there though.
                  Launched there early this season for the 1st time. To the right of the launch is very shallow and muddy. Didn't catch anything up that way. later headed out to more open water to the left of the launch and did manage 1 four pound bass casting up under a small pier. Planned to hit that area again but haven't made it back there yet.
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

If you go out of Dundee you can go across the gunpowder to Maxwell's point. Decent striper fishing in the fall
                    2014 Hobie Dune Outback
                    Rob

Comment

Hammerman Area

It is closer to launch from Gunpowder State Park Hammerman Area ramp and paddle accross to Maxwell Pt. if that is your destination of choice. Within the park adjacent to the ramp there is plenty of structure along the shoreline. I fish it quite often and have a blast. Maxwell is often an evening event, the Hammerman ramp closes at dusk. So be carefull to not get locked in. Bait has been busting at the mouth of the Gunpowder, caught a few small rock under them last week. Tried bottom bouncing, got a few hits but no keepers. Bait guys were getting tons of cats and perch as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Retriever View Post
                        It is closer to launch from Gunpowder State Park Hammerman Area ramp and paddle accross to Maxwell Pt. if that is your destination of choice. Within the park adjacent to the ramp there is plenty of structure along the shoreline. I fish it quite often and have a blast. Maxwell is often an evening event, the Hammerman ramp closes at dusk. So be carefull to not get locked in. Bait has been busting at the mouth of the Gunpowder, caught a few small rock under them last week. Tried bottom bouncing, got a few hits but no keepers. Bait guys were getting tons of cats and perch as well.
                        Maxwell point looks perfect for stripers this time of year. It's also very close to where I live but I've never actually fished it. I've caught plenty of carp, catfish and perch out of Dundee with the occasional largemouth. I also crab there, but didn't go once this year because each year in the last 3 it's gotten worse and worse.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                        Alan

Comment

One person told me they do not eat fish from that area... I am reluctant to fish for fish I shouldn't eat... I like to keep a strict "you catch it, you eat it" policy. I would think that the Gunpowder is fairly clean though.. it is not the Potomac.

Comment

Crabbed a few times this year once I sorted out the new skiff. I am not greedy so a couple dozen is plenty. The effort involved for me to go out of Dundee is minimal. I will be going this weekend wind permitting. Going to try one last ditch effort at crabbing, probably a waste of time but who knows. If a bust I'll put traps into truck and fish for a while. Have about half a day available as I must winterize the camper first thing saturday. Good luck if you go.

Comment

So I was bored with my son Saturday and we hopped into the jeep and headed out. curiosity got me gong and we paid a visit to Dundee. REALLY wish I had brought my Yak. In that sheltered bay and shallow water, at 70 degrees... it would have been a great time to take the son out on the yak for the first time. We poked around Hammerman too. That place was great, real tall reeds/pussy-willows with nice paths between them.. my son LOVED them. Each path led to a secluded beach area where I could see us having picnics in the future. He explored that whole area in delight for a couple hours. I love it when he gets involved with something other than a computer game.

THat whole area is real pretty too.. with the various bays and inlets.. all lined with the reeds. Needless to say, next summer I will be going back.. regardless of how good the fishing is.

Comment

Working...
                              X