Kayak standup "Sissy bar"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak standup "Sissy bar"

1st time kayak owner. Needed some help with getting on/off and improved stability while standing. Looked at the Hobie leaning post and thought about using on my Native Slayer, but wanted to test out the concept 1st.

Worked on a cheaper prototype with some spare bimini top tubing and track mounted rod holders. The tubing is a perfect fit for the Scotty rod holder base.

Found this sissy bar really improved in getting in/out. I am Not much to be standing up while fishing the bay.
    Ease of removal while getting in/out and could add additional rod holders makes it a perfect addition to my fishing machine.

You get the specs and concept by looking at the photos.

image.jpg
    Sissy bar / easy standup bar
    image.jpg
    Easy removal and lays down when not used
    image.jpg
    Adjustable track mounts
    <")))>< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ><(((">
    Capt. Frank Tuma
    www.DownTimeCharters.com
    Native Slayer Propel

Frank -

That looks great.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Updated leaning post

After using my original leaning post, I found I needed more stability and functionality.
      Found an improved solution with the use of medical Walker .
      image.jpg

image.jpg
      Its an easy and simple DIY project .

Detail instructions http://downtimecharters.com/ideas/leaning%20Post.htm
      Capt. Frank Tuma
      www.DownTimeCharters.com
      Native Slayer Propel

Comment

Love both ........ Really love the walker

Comment

The walker version looks really good. Well done.

Comment

Does having a sissy bar hinder casting and fighting of fish ??? When fish is under yak and you have to swing rod tip to other side of boat, does the line clear the bow when you have to go over the bar ???
            Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
            WS Ride 115 Mango
            WS Tarpon 100

Comment

The walker sits low enough not to interfere at all with casting or paddling. Actually offers a good place to store and retrive paddle when casting, while sitting.
              Capt. Frank Tuma
              www.DownTimeCharters.com
              Native Slayer Propel

Comment

Looks really practical and clean! Good job and thanks for sharing.
                Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Nicely done Frank. You may cause a run on used walkers in thrift stores for a while.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good work and thanks for inspiring me! I completed my home made project today. I'm ready for fly fishing for shad on the Potomac.

stand-up-rod.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
                      Good work and thanks for inspiring me! I completed my home made project today. I'm ready for fly fishing for shad on the Potomac.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14980[/ATTACH]
                      Good job with the pvc. I originally tried with pvc pipe and found it too flexible if you push on it hard. Be careful.
                      Btw.. With the walker and basket in center, it works good for use as a place to retrieve/ cast fly line when stripping.
                      image.jpg

also, I was just at a local Goodwill store in Annapolis and they had 3 walkers, almost new for $10!
                      Capt. Frank Tuma
                      www.DownTimeCharters.com
                      Native Slayer Propel

Comment

Your exactly right about the flex. I found it surprisingly uncomfortable standing when anchored just off the main seam of the current on the Potomac at Fletchers cove. That's generally the best place for shad near me. I have the perfect collapsible basket for stripping that fits just in front of the bar. However, I ended up determining that stripping line from the seated position wasn't all that bad. I think in still water the stand up bar will work ok, but for the current of the Potomac where I'll be fishing for shad, it just isn't all that safe to stand. I guess I just don't have the sea legs for it yet.

Comment

........ also be VERY careful with that. Most stand up bars have angled supports so they won't break if you fall forward in addition to the flexing of the PVC. It looks good though.

Comment

Working...
                          X