No announcement yet.

Revo first impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I retrofitted a Minn Kota electric motor on my Trident last year. I can fish without paddling, troll at steadier speeds, increase my range, and increase my speed. When I need to, I do paddle with the motor on to conserve battery energy. I'm usually on the water 4-7 hours, and have never run out of power. The most I used was about 75% of the 85 amp-hour marine battery.

Works great, and I never drilled any holes in my yak for installation. The system cost me about $200.

If you're interested, I will post details on another thread.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

The turbo fins made a huge difference in my Outback. Your drive feeling like it was stuck in mud may have been the cables over tightened. Just the other week I thought I was doing the right thing and tightened them all the way. I could hardly move the peddals by hand. Loosened them up and have been good to go since.

Hobie is the best at warranty issues. Hope you enjoy the Revo.
      Jim

Hobie Outback
      TKAA member
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

I need v1 turbo fins and a sailing rudder do any local shops carry them?
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Check Backyard boats or Easton Sport and Cycle
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            I love my trident and I doubt I would ever get rid of it. I've been paddling the trident since J-Bay and for a year prior and I still love it. I really got the Revo so my GF could keep up and so I could do longer trolling trips. The best thing about a Hobie is being able to use your hands and paddle long distances with your legs. I think the guys with the trolling motors have this option as well, so you might consider just adding a trolling motor?

I hate the seat on my revo, it's wet and uncomfortable. If I open the scuppers it's even more wet and uncomfortable. I guess I need to drop some pounds and stop bringing so much stuff with me!
            i found that keeping those holes pluged keeps my butt dry unless i get broadsided by a big wave with the GTS expidition seat and no more hamstring issues

Comment

when fishing the upper potomac or a lake and i dont get my shorts wet while launching, i'll stay dry.

on the bay, i'm always sitting in water on the revo.
              sigpic

Comment

Everything is a compromise- I thought about the peddle drives on the Hobie or the motor of the Torque- fishing this past weekend in heavy vegetation was an eye opener- I pushed my OK Prowler 13 through lilly pads and grass so thick it was amazing that the yak didn't get stuck- no way a boat could get in the spots I fished- neither could any yak with anything hanging underneath- you could fish open water with anything but where the fish were was another story- they were back in the thick stuff- having a do everything kayak that can fish anywhere brings you back to basics- and a paddle...or a pushpole
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

ive fished some pretty thick hydrilla before in shallow water on the revo. never got stuck...the 2 options are pedal tiny movements so the flippers stay horizontal to the boat and only travel a couple inches up and down (surprisingly, this is enough for forward motion) or flaten the flippers under the boat and break out the paddle!
                  sigpic

Comment

I went out with 1 plano box, no crate, and a couple of odds and ends. It wasn't very rough but I still ended up sitting in a puddle with a wet but from the few waves that did come over the nose. I did not try opening the scuppers on this trip.

Question, when you're sitting still on your revo do you ever feel a weird shifting feeling? I kept feeling like my seat was slipping, then I realized it was more like the feeling of being on a floating dock and having a wave come and bang it against the anchor. I am guessing it's the saling rudder flopping around, it was a weird feeling. I guess I'll get used to it.

The new drive was outstanding, much better than the one I had been using and the new bungees they put on there means you can ditch the straps. I think the sailing rudder made a huge difference on turning radius, but now it's even more sensitive so you have to make a lot of rudder adjustments. I think I'll get used to it.

Scotty flush mount works great. Not as flexible as a ram mount but way more solid and nice to have a flat deck. I took a video that I'll try to post later on.

Seat is still uncomfortable, need to put some butt padding in!

Comment

yeah even with the expedition seat i still get a wet butt, scuppers open its wet, scuppers closed is better until you take a wave then you sit in a puddle if you dont open them. when the weather gets cold dry pants or waders are a must.

short stroking the peddles when turning helps with tighter turns.

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                        yeah even with the expedition seat i still get a wet butt, scuppers open its wet, scuppers closed is better until you take a wave then you sit in a puddle if you dont open them. when the weather gets cold dry pants or waders are a must.

short stroking the peddles when turning helps with tighter turns.
                        Yeah I never thought I'd find myself saying I wish I had my waders on... At jbay I had the pants style ones on and water found a way in through a hole I thought I had fixed in the butt from a collision with some oyster shells and cold clumsy feet. Definitely need to fix that before it gets cold again!!!

Comment

I hadn't noticed any sudden shifting, but the rudder sometimes makes a bit of a creaking/clicking noise when a wave hits it. One of the downsides to the big rudder is that it'll flip to one side or the other when paddling backwards, which is aggravating. roadrunner on the Hobie forum did some experiments cutting down the rudder to minimize drag while maintaining steerage. I might have to make myself one of his modified rudders. At $25, it's not too expensive of an experiment.
                          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                            I went out with 1 plano box, no crate, and a couple of odds and ends. It wasn't very rough but I still ended up sitting in a puddle with a wet but from the few waves that did come over the nose. I did not try opening the scuppers on this trip.

Question, when you're sitting still on your revo do you ever feel a weird shifting feeling? I kept feeling like my seat was slipping, then I realized it was more like the feeling of being on a floating dock and having a wave come and bang it against the anchor. I am guessing it's the saling rudder flopping around, it was a weird feeling. I guess I'll get used to it.

The new drive was outstanding, much better than the one I had been using and the new bungees they put on there means you can ditch the straps. I think the sailing rudder made a huge difference on turning radius, but now it's even more sensitive so you have to make a lot of rudder adjustments. I think I'll get used to it.

Scotty flush mount works great. Not as flexible as a ram mount but way more solid and nice to have a flat deck. I took a video that I'll try to post later on.

Seat is still uncomfortable, need to put some butt padding in!
                            Michael,

I know it is a simple question and you probably checked but were the pegs on the bottom of the seat pushed in all the way? My seat used to slip around I now press down with the palm of my hand on top of each peg. Make sure they almost "snap" in.

Comment

Good point Bryan, the pegs were in all way.

Bill next time we fish you are welcome to check out the scotty rocket launcher.

Comment

i had the pegs come out once now i punch them down and make sure they are seated. IDK if its an optical illusion or current but some times it seams im going a little sideways to the direction im heading. make sure to lock the rudder down or it will move by itself and all of a sudden your going to the left or right when trying to go straight. i thought something was broken when i asked the dude at BYBs

Comment

Working...
                                X