No announcement yet.

CBBT Sat, 10-19-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Yeah, the 20 pound drag on pfleuger was one of the reasons I was going for it. Everything else is similar on the lews but only 14 pound. I got all flustered when they canceled my pfleuger and the lews was a stupid impulse buy because I wanted something right away. I am returning it today. Might get a calcutta and/or reorder the pfleuger. Where did you buy the pflueger?

Comment

Thanks again for your help. I got the revo s lefty you recommended. Only about $130 with a 2 year replacement plan if something happens to it.

Comment

Just so you get another perspective, John. Here's my view, and I'm not saying it's THE answer.

When I caught the two bulls, I did not use max drag. So, to me, high drag on a light BC is not critical. The Revo SX HS that caught my first bull red has max drag about 20, but I did not max it because I didn't want to overstress the equipment that may have had a weak link. I had it set about 10-12 lbs. My other BC, a Supreme XT, has max drag about 15, and again, I did not use max drag when I caught my second bull. You need to play the fish. Of course there's a little luck too...lol...

I have about a dozen BCs used on the yak, and all are right hand (RH). I have no problem using them on the Hobie. I jig with the RH and steer with the LH. When I have to reel, I switch hands. No problem. I land fish on the right side of the yak, so it works out fine. Hold the rod with LH. Wind with RH. Grab net and scoop with RH. If I need to wind more, put down net and wind with RH. This is a very important part of fishing, landing the fish. I feel much more adept at scooping with my RH. I'm fine with RH BCs, and I wouldn't go to LH. Other people prefer LH, and that's fine for them. Bottom line, you need to figure out "your fishing movements."

I have used spinners for 40 years, then I started using BCs on the yak about 3 years ago. I now have many BCs. You can't beat the BC. I now use BCs for shore fishing too.

I also have round BCs (one was a Calcutta 200, the other is a Luna 203). Both are excellent BC reels. They were my tog reels, but I don't use them anymore for togs. Why? Too heavy. When your arm holds your combo out for hours, it gets tiring. I now use light low profile BCs, which are fine. They hold enough line and they have enough drag. Togs don't pull out a lot of line. They go in holes, so you need abrasion-resistant mono. I use mono, not braid for togs. I have caught big togs before (biggest was 24.5"), and I did not use max drag, and they don't spool out a lot of line. You do need a stiff rod though. I found a 2 oz rated graphite rod to be fine.

Right now, my favorite is the Supreme XT because it's light (6.5 oz) and does the job, even for pulling in bulls.....with some luck..lol...

That BB2 looks good. Has more line capacity that many low profile BCs. Good to fill up with mono, for togging. But you don't need that extra capacity. It's 7.5 oz, not bad. Why not go with a lighter BC just as capable as the BB2? Just put braid with mono topshot.
        Last edited by tufnik; 10-24-2014, 02:50 PM.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I had found the pflueger supreme xt for $113 and they messed up my order and cancelled it. I think for $113 it seems to be the best bang for the buck and I still want one. I had to settle for the abu revo because I wanted something right away, but I got a pretty good deal on it since it was the last one in stock. I am keeping the revo and fishing with it this weekend. It is about the same weight as the bb2 I returned, but has 20 lb max drag. I may still get the supreme xt as well.

What is your favorite baitcaster(s), since you seem to have quite a few?

I was also thinking about getting a calcutta 201b, but you're right...too heavy for what I want to use it for and I don't really need one.

Comment

If you're like me and many other BC-fanatics, you'll have a collection...lol... Since I took this pic last year, I've added several more, including my favorite BC mentioned above.
            Attached Files
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Wow, that is a pretty nice collection. All I have is two old shimano bantams, an old daiwa magforce, and the abu revo I just picked up. I do have about 25 spinning reels, conventionals, and fly reels. And way too many rods, most of which I never use on the kayak.

I have a feeling my collection of baitcasters is going to grow quickly. I don't know why I stuck with spinning reels so long...I am getting old and my wrists really feel it now I guess. I have seen you guys catching big fish on those little, lightweight reels and I have been thinking I really need to try some of those.

Comment

Working...
              X