Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT Sat, 10-19-14

CBBT Sat, 10-18-14

The water was pretty calm on the launch, but after 10 am, it was rippin’. By then, ComeOnFish and I were near the 2nd SBC. The waves were 2-3 ft, and ripped for several hours. White caps splashed over the bow, and I got sprayed many times. If you for a moment stopped to fix tackle, take a pee, or whatever, you found yourself far from the bridge on the outgoing. I pedaled so much, my knees and butt hurt. It was tough dropping rigs to the bottom.

Anyway, I jigged a white bucktail on a tandem rig. I caught:

- 1 short speck
    - 1 short weakfish
    - 1 blue
    - 2 black sea bass
    - 3 keeper flounder
    - No toads ha,ha

Joe caught goodies too, but I’ll let him post. We saw JohnE in the late morning, but he went to the first island for togs. Not sure what he caught.

It was a good day of fishing, even though my old legs were overworked..lol..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 10-19-2014, 02:33 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Finally some flounder! Good to see those pesky bulls didn't bother you this time

I was contemplating a trip down, but the wind forecast scared me away. Nice job braving the winds and getting some nice fish.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Sunday 11:00 AM, Oct 19:
      It was nice to see John and Efrin despite the weather forecast. I am Cloroxing and soaping one of the PD and the thin wader I wore a week ago in the rain. Dang! I left them on the truck bed and I didn't know until I woke up in the Saturday morning. So I wore a 3mm neoprene wader and a new PFD yesterday. My wife is complaining about the smell in the garage because I left the old PFD and Wader in the garage.

I am done with cleaning, now I am cleaning a flounder (16.5") and a tog (17"). These are hard-earn prize.

We all took Hobie Outbak (2 2015 and 1 2013 models) yesterday. Obviously, it was the Outback day in CBBT because of the current and wind at the bridge columns.

Fishing Log for the future reference:

Joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-20-2014, 02:42 PM.
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

DSCN1407.jpg
        DSCN1413.jpg

Good seeing you guys out there again. Had a long day Fri and got a late start Sat. Tried for tog, but not biting like they were Fri. Only blues and toads Sat for me. Got keeper tog and flounder Fri.

Comment

Yeah, no pesky bulls, Mike. In fact, I didn't get any big hook ups (and I think Joe and John didn't either). I think the bull reds are gone, for now anyway.

How big were the blues, John? I'd like to get some 16+ inchers.

Comment

Blues were bigger than I usually catch, but only like 14-15".

Comment

Hats off for braving the winds and scoring nice fish!
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Good job on the video. I could feel the splash and spray just watching it...lol...

I get a kick out your signature video ending...the glass of wine.

Comment

Yeah, another great vid Joe. I really enjoy watching them. My nikon coolpix waterproof camera can actually take some decent videos and I have it rigged up with a head strap. I should start making some of my own soon. It was definitely a little rough by the time I finally got out to where I saw you guys.

One of my friends got 3 keeper flounder at Lynnhaven today...really hoping they are still around next weekend. I still want to catch a big doormat this year, but I know chances are getting pretty slim now.
                  Last edited by JohnE; 10-20-2014, 08:24 PM.

Comment

John,
                    I caught a 18" flounder in Rudee in November. And I saw a 23" caught in Nov at the Willoughby boat ramp.

Joe
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I've caught 22" at kipto couple years ago around Thanksgiving.

Comment

John,
                        Are you looking for bait-casting reel and a rod for tog? It looks that way. I am looking for a rod that can be used both tog and flounder at CBBT and CHSP. If I find this combo, I will carry only one rod. This combo will work for spot, flounder, striper, and big red fish. Is this combo you are looking for?

I currently have a combo for all fish. The rod is flexible enough for all species, but a little too flexible for Tog (especially when fishing cracks of huge rocks) to bring them away from the cracks in a split second.

Or do you want a combo for togs only?

Anyway, since you have a Hobie, the left handed reel will be the proper choice because the rudder control lever is on the left side. The most of time your left hand is on the rudder control lever. This way you don't switch hands to steer the kayak and to crank the reel. Many times, tog hit immediately when the sinker hit the bottom. This is another reason why a left handed reel is the better choice. I still don't understand that even right handed professionals cast and switch hand in bass tournaments. Well they have two hands free all the time.

I have a combo (BassPro muskie Rod + Abu garcia Round reel) for tog only I don't use. You may use this until you found the right combo. I live in Chantilly. Give me a call. I am taking off around 12:00PM today.

Joe
                        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-24-2014, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Joe, thanks for the offer and the info. I kept going back and forth on the baitcaster handle side. I actually have both right and left baitcasters already, but they are very old shimanos which I have had a very long time and want a nice new low profile reel. I was trying to get something good for flounder and tog if possible. I ordered a left hand pflueger supreme xt, but they messed up and canceled my order so I went out shopping and picked out a lews bb2, but they did not sell it in a lefty. My initial thoughts were to get the lefty. My friend has a hobie and he said he like right handed, so I could not decide.

I really want a nice, light low profile reel right now...but I also eventually want a nice round body. I can't afford both at once. When I can afford a good round body, I will buy the shimano calcutta. I guess something like the calcutta will be way better for tog? Do you think the bb2 is good enough? I am not all that experienced catching tog...my shimano spinning reels handled them fine so far.

I got a 1-5 oz ugly stik tiger lite for tog because I love ugly stiks and the reviews said people use that model and like it for tog but still sensitive enough for flounder. Now that I have it in my hands, it feels like it might be nice for flounder on those days when you need to jig the heavier bucktails. I also want the 1/2-3 oz tiger lite for flounder and could not decide which one first. I wasn't sure if that one would have the backbone for tog.

Comment

Joe, I think you are right on getting the lefty because of the rudder steering. I did not really think about that aspect last night, but it did pop in my head when I initially ordered the lefty pflueger. The bb2 was not a very cheap reel for me ($170) and I may have to take it back and find a lefty. I really like the bb2, and they make it in a lefty but unfortunately not stocked locally. I was all excited to have a new reel this weekend.

Comment

John,
                              The max drag on the reel for tog should be at least 20 lb. When setting the hook, you also bring a tog away from the crack (especially in CHSP). Many times when I used reels with 11-14 lb max drag, I couldn't set the hook and bring out a tog from deep crack at once (one motion) because the line pulled off the reels. I think I put more than 14 lb force when I set the hooks and lift the rod at once. The reel caught a 49-50" bull red was pflueger ($99) which comes with 20 lb max drag. I use 50# test braided on it for flounder, tog, and big red at CBBT and CHSP). The leader changes base on the fish. I highly recommend the reels with max drag of the reel 20# or more. I have small hands. So low profile reel helps for the whole day fishing - easier for me to thumb the spool if needed.

joe

Comment

Working...
                              X