No announcement yet.

Anyone Going Out on Monday, 10/20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice meeting you John and nice to see Peggy again. The morning started off beautifully calm but with just no fish for me for a good while.

Headed to the 50 bridge on the JG side and Peggy did land one early on at about 18" where I did well last week. After that it was slow going for awhile. Fished the oyster bars, bridge pilings, across the river in front and behind the pilings and even up to the mouth of Weems Creek with no takers. Came back across the river and Peggy hit another up past the bridge. I lost my first fish hooked in that area, definitely keeper size guessing about 23", at the side of the kayak trying to land him. Caught maybe six or seven more trolling the the same area, all in the 16" - 17" range. I believe Peggy caught two keeper size for the day. Overall same as my last trip with my first fish being in the 20"s and all the rest short.

The change in weather was pretty dramatic. The wind just hit and stayed. Not a whole lot of white caps but very very choppy, a wind driven tide and a nasty crosswind. Just tough to paddle against with a lot of water over the bow. Did kind of shake me just a little, being a paddler that has started taking solo trips and may be getting a little overconfident. Not terrifying or anything but a little disconcerting and gave me something to think about. That beach at Jonas became very far away and it sure was nice to know someone else was around.

In hindsight I should have planned the paddle a little better and headed to the mouth of the river and let the weather push me back. Just didn't expect the wind was going to get bad so quick. Knew they were going to be coming from the south and the tide coming in at some point but expected some more time to deal with it.

Losing the first fish was kind of a downer as I had plans for dinner yet another wonderful day on the water with enough action, good company and a little blood pumping excitement/fear to keep me happy.

Comment

Nice report. You folks did well in some difficult conditions. The wind was indeed a force today and when it comes from the southeast there is no place to hide in the Severn.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks to John and Don for joining me. Had a nice time except for the way back. THAT was scary. The wind picked up outta nowhere. Really glad I had a peddle kayak so I could get back to the beach faster. The two fish I caught were a hair less than 18 inches with their mouths closed, so back they went. They were fat and healthy looking, and as they were in my lap getting measured I envisioned each one beautifully broiled or baked to perfection; however, it did feel good to put these beautiful fish back in the water.
        Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
        Cobra Explorer

Comment

Sounds like an adventure all around and props for being out in it and catching a few fish. Next few days and the weekend look windy so it looks like conditions won't be improving in the main bay.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I got out on the Rhode River last minute yesterday and launched at @ 11:00 am just in time for the 20-30 mph winds. I headed up river seeking shelter, but it was tough sledding with another wind forecast not matching actual conditions. I did manage three strikes; got about a 16 incher to the boat but he shook off. Another big strike broke off because my 10lb braid had wrapped around my tip which eliminated any engagement of drag.

Takeaway from the day(only about three hours)? Keep checking rod tips to make sure the line is thru the eye hole and not twisted around the tip. Also I am glad I launched at Carrs Wharf. I was able to get behind some points and islands and out of the murderous winds. Still, my left shoulder is pretty stiff this am from all the hard paddling. Another lousy wind forecast from NWS.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
              but it was tough sledding with another wind forecast not matching actual conditions.... Another lousy wind forecast from NWS.
              I found the same thing regarding the forecast. We started at 6:45 and it was like glass. Then at 9am the weather lady on the VHF radio said winds would pick up later in the afternoon and that they would announce a small craft warning. Well, at 11 wind came up from nowhere. We thought we had more time to get back, maybe like 12pm.

Regarding the Rhode River, I did a Snaggedline search for it for past reports and didn't see a lot of favorable reviews except for one where they said it is starting to pick up. Is this true? I'd like to start fishing there but want success.
              Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
              Cobra Explorer

Comment

ERegarding the Rhode River, I did a Snaggedline search for it for past reports and didn't see a lot of favorable reviews except for one where they said it is starting to pick up. Is this true? I'd like to start fishing there but want success.[/QUOTE]

I've launched from the Carrs Wharf spot twice in the last two weeks (see my Rhode River report). http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...8663#post98663

Yesterday's wind aside, the launch itself is a bit rocky at lower tides but okay. The main rap on the launch is lack of parking on weekends, but since I work weekends and tend to fish during the week, there's enough parking then.

The Rhode River is pretty special for a western shore tributary IMO. The Smithsonian Environmental Center owns about 3,000 acres of shoreline property mostly upriver, and the fish and bird habitat is tremendous. I also fish to observe bird life, so there's plenty of that.

In terms of fishing, I think October/November is best there. If there's a rap it's because in general the average depth is relatively shallow. There are also some sticky bottoms up River around wetland areas. I did get a huge strike in one of those upriver creeks yesterday, but lost it. October and hopefully November is good though, because the stripers come right in the river off the Bay (it's not that long a river) to feed on baitfish in the shallows.

Another launch option is the Smithsonian E.C. facility upriver. For. $5 donation you can launch, but you have to be off the water by 4:00, so Carrs Wharf works better.

You can also access the down river portion of the Rhode from Beverly Triton. So far, I've had better luck in the shallows upriver. Good luck!
                Last edited by Fishinfool; 10-21-2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X