Favorite Rod and Reel Combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Rod and Reel Combo?

I'm sure it's been done before, but list up your favorite!

Mine would have to be my Blue Avet SX w/ MC Cast feature paired with a St. Croix Tidemaster 7'-0" Med - Heavy - I run 30 lb Power Pro on the Avet. Only mod is Cals Grease on the drag.

After fishing this combo for two years I continually am impressed with its durability and usability. Its been dropped on asphalt, dunked in saltwater, dunked in sand...and with a simple cleaning (sometimes) she begs for more!

I'm up to 9 different species on it and I hope to keep adding to that! Now I just need bigger fish haha.

Have a great weekend all!
    Last edited by coastal_dan; 10-20-2014, 09:26 AM.
    Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

I still favor my Sage XP 8wt and my American made Ross Rhythm 2.5 with the old good drag.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Favorite currently is my TFO Tactical Series 7' spinning rod Medium with a Pfleuger Supreme XT 9235 spinning reel. Awesome setup for smallmouth IMO.
      2014 WS Ride 115X
      2011 Hobie Outback

Comment

No brainer for me, it is a Kistler 6'10" KLX red/speck rod paired with a Shimano Sustain3000FG. Hundreds of casts a day with this light well balanced combination are fatigue free. The rod has a soft sensitive tip that allows for a successful hook set on those soft speckled mouths and the bottom two thirds has all the backbone required for 30+" reds. The Sustain is very smooth and has enough drag that I actually straighten a hook on a 30" pup when I panicked and cranked too much drag trying to pull him away from wrapping a duck blind post.

Comment

I like the shimano socorro or penn spinfisher on an ugly stik striper or tiger lite for trolling, but way too heavy for jigging. The socorros are very simple reels, but almost bulletproof. Love shimano reels and ugly stik rods.

Comment

I'm really liking the Ugly Stik GX2 (medium heavy, 6') with Penn Fierce 3000 and 20# braid.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Cowpokey, I agree with you. I have 6' 6'' version, medium heavy. The GX2 is great in my opinion.
              Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I'm a Shimano fan as well.
                Love my stradic 2500 paired with a Shimano compre MF worm & jig rod.
                Also have a Curado bait caster on Field & Stream E-Tec MF rod that I like alot.
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I almost got one of those gx2s to try recently, but I got a berkely lightning instead and broke it on the first trip. Those lightnings are absolute trash, stay away from them...second one broken in 1 year.

Any recommendations on a rod to pair up with a calcutta 400? I was going to buy a curado and still might do that, but my friend just got the calcutta and man I am jealous. I am going to have to sell one of my old penn greenies on ebay and go for it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                    I almost got one of those gx2s to try recently, but I got a berkely lightning instead and broke it on the first trip. Those lightnings are absolute trash, stay away from them...second one broken in 1 year.
                    The GX2 replaced a Lighting Rod that was only a couple months old, but got broken fighting a ray. Figured I'd try an Ugly Stik since they have built their reputation on how durable the rods are. Hopefully the real seat that came free on my first one was a fluke.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

For casting and kayak trolling I use mostly St Croix Premier ML or M spinning rods in the 6' to 6'6" range. All my reels are Shimano Stradics in 2500 or 3000 size.

For my perch and pickerel fishing, I have three light and ultralight rods (all different brands) but each uses a Shimano Stradic 1000 reel.

For LTJ in deeper water, I have a 6'2" med-heavy Backyard Custom Rods spinning rod and a 6'6" MH Carrot Stick. Both are paired with Stradic 3000 reels.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

My go to rods are the Star Stellar Lite, 6'6". Can be used for jigging casting and trolling. I have them paired with Shimano BR 4000 OC using 20lb Power Pro Super 8 slick. I like the secondary drag when getting a hit, the drag takes off and not the rod.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

For trolling - Daiwa Saltiga Inshore 7' with Abu C3 6500.
                          For casting - St. Croix Tidemaster 7' with Penn Battle 3000
                          For heavier casting - Kevin Bogan Poison (semi-custom) 7' with Penn Battle 4000

Comment

While this topic is active, I would love a recomedation for a baitcasting rig. I am looking for something to cut my teeth on and to eventualy use as my bass rod and for casting heavier spinners at piers. I would need a two piece rod and would be looking to throw lures in the 1/4 to 3/4oz range. My budget is around $300 but I can go up if it makes a big difference in quality.

Thanks.
                            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                              While this topic is active, I would love a recomedation for a baitcasting rig. I am looking for something to cut my teeth on and to eventualy use as my bass rod and for casting heavier spinners at piers. I would need a two piece rod and would be looking to throw lures in the 1/4 to 3/4oz range. My budget is around $300 but I can go up if it makes a big difference in quality.

Thanks.
                              i have not seen many two piece baitcasting rods...?? i would think you can have a very nice quality set up well within your budget imho. bass pro carbon lite rods @ 99.00 + or - nice rod for the dollar.

Comment

Working...
                              X