A Good Morning on the Severn -- 14 October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Good Morning on the Severn -- 14 October

Raptor and I visited Jonas Green this morning before sunup.

We were on the water at 0630 and stayed close to shore in the glow of the Rt. 450 Bridge lights until the eastern sky started to lighten.

At that time I headed to the point at the Purple Cherry Architect sign. I had a hunch that top water would work there and I was right, for one fish -- a fat 17 inch striper that hit a Rapala Skitter Pop at 0645.

But Raptor had a better hunch. He radioed me that he already had two keeper-sized stripers while trolling near the Rt. 450 Bridge.

Undaunted by another’s success I continued to pop the point at the Purple Cherry sign for another 30 minutes unsuccessfully. However another radio call from Raptor who had caught even more fish tempted me to leave the top water behind.

I joined him trolling and boated a 19 inch striper and a 20 and 21 incher in short order. Each hit a ½ oz. Rat-L-Trap in blue over white.

All the while Raptor was catching keeper sized fish on a Fat Sam soft plastic on a regular jig head and a Fat Sam on a white bucktail.

The area we were working was from the green “1S” channel marker to the Rt. 450 Bridge and back – essentially the middle of the river.
    At 0800 the bite at that area slowed down considerably.

I headed across the river to the eastern side and picked up a 17 inch striper along the way in the middle of the river on the Rat-L-Trap. I went to the oyster bar on that shore and worked it for about 30 minutes with no success. I came back across the river and caught another 18 inch striper again in the middle on the Rat-L-Trap. Notice the pattern? They were in the middle of the river but up in the water column. I was trolling only ½ oz. lures and surely wasn’t getting deep. It was the same way trolling at the bridge.

By now it’s 0900 and the wind picked up considerably. It was blowing from the SE at double digit MPH and the water had a 2 foot chop. I headed south into the wind and under the bridge for the David Taylor research center shoreline. I never got there. Raptor radioed me again that he had nailed more fish at the original spot near the bridge.

I headed back but in truth I was blitzed from fighting the wind. I trolled a little and then sought sheltered water near the launch site to fill my caloric gas tank with a Pop Tart.

Ever full of energy Raptor fought the waves a little longer to troll and picked up his only undersized striper of the day at 12 inches.

In total he caught 8 stripers and two blues during the morning. All but one of his stripers was keeper-sized with the largest going 25 inches.

Together we caught 14 stripers, 11 of which were 18 inches or larger. The shorts were two 17 inchers and a 12 incher. We released all the fish.

Interestingly the solunar chart for this morning said fishing would be excellent in Annapolis between 0600 and 0800. The next hot time during the day is supposed to be this evening after 1800 (6:00 p.m.)

If you’re going out, check out the areas where we had success today. But I hope the wind dies down for you.

Lastly, there were three other kayaks on the water during the morning. Two of them stayed near the Rt. 450 Bridge pilings for most of the time. If you guys are reading this now please tell us how you did. Something good must have been holding you in place.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

great report!! rocktober in full swing!! congrats guys!! great catching!! had to be a lot of fun!!

Comment

Ditto that! I had designs to get out for the 6:00-8:00 pm action, but can't get away.

Comment

great report. I am glad you guys were as successful as I was on Sunday. I tried trolling and jigging the 450 bridge and came up empty. I had more success down the river adjacent to David Taylor and near/over the oyster reef in the bay by the VLF antenna.

Comment

What a fantastic fun sounding morning. It's Christmas for fishing and every day is a present right now. Love reading reports like this.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice complete report buddy, thanks for the patterns!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Awesome report! I'm glad to see that the fish are a little bit closer now. I've been going all the way to the mouth of the Severn where I can see the Bay bridge. The only time I can really go fishing is after work and by the time I get all the way out there the sun is just going down. I'll try fishing a little closer in this time! That'll save me a lot of time peddling and more time fishing! Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job.
                Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
                Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Way to go Mark and Terry. You guys had a fun morning out there.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yea, I was there, but not much luck. This is my first season yak fishing. A lot to learn. Saw that you guys were having luck around the palings, was hoping it would rub off on me. Did. It happen. Just finished installing a FF on the yak, so might give it a try Friday afternoon, if the wind is not too strong.
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

jrentch,

My fish finder today was Raptor.

You should have followed the guy in the yellow Hobie!

Good luck Friday if you make it out.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Did not want to be a tag a long.
                        John Rentch
                        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by jrentch View Post
                          Did not want to be a tag a long.
                          You can tag along anytime you want - that's how you pick up little things that help you catch more fish. John Veil has been instrumental to me with his help and advise and I'm more than happy the pass it on and share with others. I'd like to say it was my prowess at recognizing fall fish patterns after some careful study that led to our success . . but truth be told - I just happened onto them - pure luck. To further our luck, we were able to stay with them for a while as they were nice fish with few being less than 18", fat (really fat), and great fighters. Other than this great school JG was barren in all the usual places up the river. As Mark said we never made it down to DTR and points east, so I don't know if that would have been good too. BTW - I slept like a dead man last night - totally out of gas . . . a sure sign of great fun. I was sure glad I had the Outback as the wind came up and it was tough sledding. The Outback tracked true and powered on down the river against tide and wind - just awesome, I would have been dying paddling the Raptor.

T.
                          Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Working...
                          X