Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the biggest pain about kayak fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll answer that one with a question....Why don't they make dry pants with a zipper?

Comment

Originally posted by mytime View Post
      I'll answer that one with a question....Why don't they make dry pants with a zipper?
      That's the exact reason why I had my dry cleaner install a waterproof zipper in my last pair of new waders that I bought. The zipper was a PIA to source, but it works great.

Comment

simply not catching fish....

Comment

I would have to agree it is carrying too much tackle. Making the switch to Kayaking was rather difficult after carrying everything under the Sun in my other boat, if I needed it ...I had it. That doesn't mean it was used, it was just there. I had to transfer the Fly fishing mind set to Kayak fishing instead of power boat fishing.

Comment

wind (or current) preventing me from making the presentation I need to make
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
              Chasing birds.

SHH tried to mentor me against it, but the temptation takes over and off I go.
              Nothing wrong with following birds. But it needs to be birds doing the right thing, eating. Not just flocking around being retarded. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
              I have learned that I rarely use as much of the tackle as I use to take. I try to keep it to 2 or 3 colors of soft plastics and a few plugs good for most situations. Reducing tackle saves time, space, and weight. I've found that too much gear and accessories is just a hassle.
              Amen to that. The minimalist mindset wins in the kayak.

Comment

Biggest pain for me is not being able to fish as often as I would like to because of work. Second biggest pain...inaccurate forecasts. Third biggest was struggling to paddle long distance in heavy current with a reconstructed shoulder that was causing me pain all the time, but at least I finally got that one mostly worked out with the new outback. Another pain is 95 traffic getting to my favorite fishing spots down at VA beach.

Comment

I can't stand trolling rods and getting tangled up in line catching fish! Sucks but still fun
                  2014 Hobie Dune Outback
                  2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
                  Rob

Comment

It seems like there's a camp of minimalists and maximalists....if those are really words. I definitely do not fall into the minimalist category, not while fishing anyway. I understand why it's appealing, but when I'm out there I feel like a swiss army knife. Even though I rarely use more than the rods I have rigged plus some spare lures, I like to be prepared for every situation since the best fishing of my life may be ruined if I didn't have the right thing on board. Last week for example, if I didn't have my super umbrella spread, I would have only caught a few fish. I'm always torn with that. Because I take so much stuff, I keep it well organized so loading/unloading is easy as it stays in my crate, which stays in my truck.

I like to carry a lot of rods too, and always debate taking yet another. Each is prerigged and is specialized for some particular purpose. I wish I had more rod storage, particularly horizontal storage. I've hit rods on trees and low bridges and it's a huge pain if you are fishing those areas.

I also don't like having to turn around to get in my crate. I think it's pretty awkward as I fumble around inside.

And son of a gun...isn't it a royal pain when you get a lure stuck at the very front of the hull or on the rudder? Good grief! If I'm ever going to take a dip in the drink, it'll be from trying to unhook the tangle. This happens a lot while trolling two rods (or more) and the fish is sufficient enough to spin the kayak, leaving a mess to figure out.

I'm always thinking of ways to improve things. It is pretty clear that loading/unloading is a pain for most. If you have a pickup like some of us, it's pretty simple (especially with a tailgate extender). For the rest, unless you're able to rock the kayak on end, it could be really tricky.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

x2 for work.
                      DaveO
                      Arnold/Annapolis
                      Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

choosing between paddling and pedaling..

more tournaments around the nation are won in a paddle yak.. theorys are.. its quieter coming on fish..

you cover lots of water...

the pros and cons go on
                        Zach Moore
                        Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                        Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                        Bait Towel Pro Staff
                        2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                        YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

The biggest challenges/ pains for me in no particular order are:

1. Unanticipated wind and/or bad weather, which means having to work hard through heavy wind/waves/chop. Thiscan put a damper on an otherwise great day in a hurry.

2. Powerboat people that are clueless to the effect of their 2-4 foot wakes.

3. Snags, break-offs, and snags on piers or trees that cause me to have to re-tie. I have a hard time re-tying in a moving kayak and usually beach it for a break/ re-tie.

4. Bad tangles. I can spend 20 min undoing a tangle to avoid beaching to re-tie. I am getting much better at avoiding tangles though.

5. Loading/strapping down, then re-loading and re-strapping when the fishing is done. I can still handle my 48 pound WS 120 alone, but I am not saying it's a piece of cake either.

6. Forgetting important stuff, like my cooler, my license, a flashlight if it's dark etc.

Everything except weather and powerboat wakes are my own damn fault, so I should just shut up right now.
                          Last edited by Fishinfool; 10-14-2014, 03:43 PM.

Comment

For me the drive time expended to get on the water is a big pain. However everything can be a pain in some way or other. Forgetting essential gear sucks but like a flat tire you just have to fix that issue. Otherwise it's all part of the passion.

That " blinking the yak into the water" part was hilarious. Ya, then blink the fish under the yak, blink- onto the hook, blink - filleted and in the freezer, blink - back home with celebratory beverages, blink, blink, blink- you wake and realize you're dreaming!

Comment

By far, unexpected head winds no matter what the tide is. I try to keep my tackle to a minimum for the trip. At first loading and unloading was difficult. Now that I have a Hullavator, It makes it one Hull of a lot easier to get the yak on the roof. Another think I forgot to mention, getting the yak on wheels.
                              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioreno View Post
                                I Have a PA12 and I car top it on a GMC YUKON. The initial lift of the bow up and when taking down is the Hardest. Until and or if I purchase a lift assist to rest the bow on, this will always be the most awkward part of kayaking.

Ive got a Thule assist bar I can sell ya, if you have square bars. Doesnt work w/ my boat.

Comment

Working...
                                X