Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the biggest pain about kayak fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the biggest pain about kayak fishing?

Is it loading up, hard to get places fast, not enough storage, hard to reach the crate/other storage, transportation, rigging....etc?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

I Have a PA12 and I car top it on a GMC YUKON. The initial lift of the bow up and when taking down is the Hardest. Until and or if I purchase a lift assist to rest the bow on, this will always be the most awkward part of kayaking.

Comment

My kayak continually reminds me that I am getting old. The Slayer Propel weighs so much that I can't lift it alone. I can't think of any other pains about kayak fishing. I love kayak fishing. The folks I've met from Snaggedlines are all terrific and have restored my faith in people from this Washington DC area. Oh, sorry Alan, I changed your topic from Pain to Greatness
      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
      Cobra Explorer

Comment

It can be tiring paddling long distances, but you never run out of batteries.

I find I waste a lot of time kayaking because I'll get lazy from paddling before reaching my destination and cast to fishy looking spots on the way.

Overall it's more convenient than say a Jon Boat... don't need to deal with lugging around a large slab of metal with deep cycle marine battery acid leaking all over the place.
        Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
        Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
        Northern Pike: 24 inches
        Crappie: 12 inches
        Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

For me it is 100% the "load the boat on my car, load gear in my car, drive to launch, unload boat, rig boat, launch boat" part. My ideal would be to drive around with a fully rigged yak on top of my car, drive up to the launch, hit the breaks, amd have the boat fly off the top and land right at the waters edge. If I could just blink my eyes and magically be sitting onboard right at a launch I would go out every day.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
            For me it is 100% the "load the boat on my car, load gear in my car, drive to launch, unload boat, rig boat, launch boat" part. My ideal would be to drive around with a fully rigged yak on top of my car, drive up to the launch, hit the breaks, amd have the boat fly off the top and land right at the waters edge. If I could just blink my eyes and magically be sitting onboard right at a launch I would go out every day.
            That's why I keep my kayak moored in one location... tho it can be a pain if you want to fish more than just one body of water.
            Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
            Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
            Northern Pike: 24 inches
            Crappie: 12 inches
            Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

drive around with a fully rigged yak on top of my car, drive up to the launch, hit the breaks, amd have the boat fly off the top and land right at the waters edge.
              lol!!! Rotfl!!
              Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
              Cobra Explorer

Comment

LOL...def agree!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

I mostly fish rivers and the biggest pain is getting the kayaks back to the drop off point or have a vehicle at the finish spot. Guess not a pain just time consuming.

Comment

Work.
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

The loading and unloading part is the biggest pain, I have it down pretty good now but typically load two to three kayaks at a time. The slight benefit to this is, if it was easy everyone would do it and the water would be that much more crowded.........jack

Comment

Since I got the Profish, I don't have any issues loading up in a vehicle. The only real bothersome thing about kayak fishing is having to get extra-dressed for fishing in cold water. Fighting with dry pants and neoprene and rubber.

Comment

Chasing birds.

SHH tried to mentor me against it, but the temptation takes over and off I go.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

I'd have to say it's getting to the place I want to fish. Sometimes there are just too many other places on the way that call my name. For me, the loading/unloading and such is easy. I keep most tackle and extras on/in my kayak. Slide it into the bed of my truck, two ratchet straps and haul ass.

I have learned that I rarely use as much of the tackle as I use to take. I try to keep it to 2 or 3 colors of soft plastics and a few plugs good for most situations. Reducing tackle saves time, space, and weight. I've found that too much gear and accessories is just a hassle.

Comment

Going into a headwind on an outgoing tide trying to troll up the creek. My lure zooming by at 1/2 mile per hour doesn't generate many strikes and I get little for the effort. On the plus side I tell my doctor I'm getting regular vigorous excercise.
                              Mike
                              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                              X